Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is this wrong or just badly worded?
  • desperatebicycle

tell me i’m not going mad!

submarined
    Free Member

I guess it’s right if you look from the rim bed. But it’s a crap description.
    I always think of it as being anti clockwise as I do it with the apple at the bottom of the rotation.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s not wrong enough to get bent out of shape about. In broad terms it’s correct . But technically it’s wrong.

How ever it’s been written for people who don’t do technical and who will probably never actually try and do it.

shermer75
    Free Member

I always think of it as clockwise, as you are essentially putting a nut on a very (very!) long and thin bolt. But, if I was explaining it to someone else, I would either make that clear or describe it as anticlockwise if looking at it from the hub. Or the apple, if that helps

desperatebicycle

Not bent out of shape, just thinking, if I was describing tightening spokes to someone who hadn’t done it, would I say ‘turn it clockwise’ and I’m damn sure I wouldn’t! Just badly worded then…
    No point being pedantic about page filler then eh? 😊

ampthill

Yep, clockwise here as it’s a nut on a bolt

But I’d never think clockwise. If I needed a reminder I’d point my right thumb in the direction I wanted the nipple to move and then turn the spoke key in the direction my right fingers are pointing

csb

As it’s the nipple (nut) that is rotating I can’t see how it can be anything but clockwise to tighten.

GeForceJunky

I have a problem with the photo, in which the pressure is clearly being applied to loosen the tension?

timba
    Free Member

+1 The picture is misleading. If you wanted to illustrate the text then you’d use a pic looking into the rim bed without the tyre, etc

BigJohn

My road wheels have to be tightened through the rim bed and clockwise it is. Or to use the technical term, righty tighty.

Superficial
    Free Member

I can’t see how it can be anything but clockwise to tighten.

Because if turning a spoke key looking from the hub side, as shown in the picture, it’s anticlockwise to tighten.

Instructions like that should be written unambiguously. If it’s unclear it’s no better than being plain wrong. I’m not sure which this is.

sirromj

I don’t think the first thing I’d say about tensioning a spoke would be about shortening the distance between hub and rim. I could smack the rim with a brick to bring it closer to the hub but I don’t think it would have the desired outcome 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Or to use the technical term, righty tighty.

Finally!

igm

An arrow on the diagram would have helped – from the back, forwards rounds the right as you look at the picture and across & back on the left

e.g.

↩️

desperatebicycle

I’d say (ie. 🔄 ) on that photo 🙃

nickjb
    Free Member

Are there any instructions for tightening pedals?

gazzab1955

Or to use the technical term, righty tighty.

or “lefty loosey”

I seem to remember that you always turn towards the rear wheel, assuming the bike is standing up the correct way

squirrelking
    Free Member

Clockwise to tighten is correct in so much as it’s a conventional right hand thread, it’s just the perspective that mucks it up.

If you were tightening from the spoke bed it’s obviously correct but from the outside it depends on the wheels orientation. With the nipple at the top of the wheel the description makes sense, at the bottom not so much.

I seem to remember that you always turn towards the rear wheel, assuming the bike is standing up the correct way

Driveside facing user?

nickc

It’s correct in so much as that’s what you’re doing. I guess if you ddn’t know that you’re doing it the from the “other” perspective, you find out pretty soon anyway.

igm

You’re asking the wrong question, as when you’re tightening you can see the thread and that is a big clue.

The correct question is “Are there any instructions for loosening / removing pedals?”

squirrelking
    Free Member

You’re asking the wrong question, as when you’re tightening you can see the thread and that is a big clue.

You would think so wouldn’t you?

Sadly a steel axle + aluminium crank = knackered crank with the right application of brute force and ignorance.

desperatebicycle

Pedals (I didn’t think nickjb was serious) are simple – put the spanner on or allen key in the hole. Pull the tool – if it freewheels that’s the way to undo. If it drives the back wheel, you’re tightening. Works for both sides, if the bike is upside down, right way up or lying on it’s side 😀

gingerflash

My objection with the wording is it speaks of screwing the spoke into the nipple, which would make one think that the spoke has to be turned somehow, as a screw being screwed into a static nut.

I can imagine an inexperienced mechanic trying to twist a bladed, straight-pull spoke…

Would have been clearer to say that the nipple has to be screwed further onto the spoke.

Agree that the picture shows the nipple being loosened. I always deal with nipples looking from the outside of the rim, so clockwise from that perspective tightens the nipple.

I like the zip-tie-on-the-seatstay as wheel jig though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.