Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • Is this racist ?
  • Poopscoop

52% would say it isn’t racist, 48% would say it is.

At a rough estimate based on some recent poll or something the government carried out.

chip
    Free Member

At a rough estimate based on some recent poll or something the government carried out.

Utter bollox

jimdubleyou

I think this might be a Dutch thing.

From the nation that still has “Black Pete” following Santa around?

Nah…

Poopscoop

chip – Member

Utter bollox

You make a strong argument but are you referring to the 48% or the 52%?

chip
    Free Member

So no racists voted in and no non racists voted out.

scotroutes

Is it racist to say that the Dutch are about the most racist folk I’ve ever met?

Is this meta-racism?

Poopscoop

chip – Member
    So no racists voted in and no non racists voted out.

Chip, your so willing an argument to happen that just won’t.

I posted what I thought was an obvious massive generalisation in a way I thought was pretty obviously just that. 🙂

Poopscoop

The truth obviously being that it’s nearer 53% that are actually racist.

Poopscoop

Yes, that’s tongue in cheek too. 🙂

P.S. I’m just guessing you voted Leave, chip? I just get that vibe? 😉

chip
    Free Member

No, there seems to be a lot of Brexit bleating around here it’s hard to know when people are being serious or not.

Poopscoop

Brexit bleating is everywhere at the moment I’m afraid.

So, yes,I do agree there. Sometimes find myself falling prey to it as you can see.

aracer
    Free Member

You could try asking a mod…

It’s a slippery slope

batfink
    Free Member

alpin
    Free Member

. I would hope now that kids wouldn’t need to fight their way through childhood. That a teacher today is encouraging outdated and racist behaviour is beyond belief.
    [Sensible bit over]

+1

And with regards to the Dutch happy birthday song…. This coming from the culture that gave us apartheid in South Africa. I have the (dis?)pleasure of knowing several of Afrikaans families and some Germans that have been in SA for a considerable time and I would say that all of them are racist. Whether that is made racism or inherent I don’t know, but I find all of them unpleasant people to be around.

kerley
    Free Member

Yes it is racist. The fact that the song has some dutch tradition has no bearing on it.

BillMC

‘LGBT+’ has a certain ring to it, bit like a little red sportscar.

spursn17
    Free Member

singing the words “Hankey Pankey, Shanghai, Hankey panky, Shanghai” sang to the tune of happy birthday, whilst narrowing your eyes in a parody of a Chinaman

Is it racist? Of course it is!

It’s not about whether the person singing thinks it is or the intention, it’s about how the target of the mocking would perceive it.

angeldust
    Free Member

Racist? Probably, and definitely has the potential to cause offence. Isn’t that reason enough to stop this sort of thing (through ridicule and education)? Doubt there was any malicious intent, but I imagine a teacher could be sacked for this if someone wanted to kick up a fuss. Not exactly a great example for kids. Teacher probably just doesn’t ‘get it’ (which is the polite version of ‘ignorant’).

Same old turds on here denying there is any racial intent as a means to justify their old fashioned views – ‘I’ve always found it harmless and funny, why should I have to change’. Idiots :lol:.

angeldust
    Free Member

I’ve not been in a school since the 1980’s and I though things had moved along a little bit.

In London at least, you would not have got away with this in the 1980’s (believe me, I was there). In my multi-ethnic borough ‘baa baa black sheep’ was banned at one point! In some ways it was more sensitive than things are now.

My experience was that racist kids got it from their racist parents. Most believed (or were taught) it was harmless, and as superior white Englishmen, we were entitled to belittle every other race! Some became enlightened, some (generally the thick ones it has to be said) grew up into racist adults.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Imagine singing the words “Hankey Pankey, Shanghai, Hankey panky, Shanghai” sang to the tune of happy birthday, whilst narrowing your eyes in a parody of a Chinaman, and then imagine that your kids teacher is teaching the kids that.

Hang on – are we imagining this, or did it actually happen? As in, really happen, not just a 6 year old saying they’d learnt it from a teacher?

aracer
    Free Member

Definitely the sort of story a 6yo would make up to cover them learning a racist song from their mates when they get called out on it.

Did we establish whether the school concerned is a Dutch school, as it appears to be a uniquely Dutch thing to sing this given the google hits (one of which certainly suggests teaching of it is current in a Dutch primary school).

5plusn8
    Free Member

I have no expertise in what is racist or not but I feel for you YAK and the issue here.

Yak – Member 
    [Sensible answer time ] This sort of shit has no place nowadays. As a kid I used to come home from school in tears because of taunting. I used to wish I could be white. My dad realised the bother and taught me how to properly punch someone. After that I never hesitated and would hit immediately on provocation. I was in front of the teachers a lot because of this. But it was worth it to avoid that individual doing it again. Now this was bitd when attitudes were different. I would hope now that kids wouldn’t need to fight their way through childhood. That a teacher today is encouraging outdated and racist behaviour is beyond belief.
    [Sensible bit over]

I wonder Yak how you would react if the kids who were arseholes to you at school found you, of their own volition, and apologised?

natrix
    Free Member

Yes it is racist. The fact that the song has some dutch tradition has no bearing on it.

My thoughts exactly

slowoldman

Has the teacher explained what “hanky panky” means?

cranberry
    Free Member

It happened. My mate was shocked, asked my opinion – shocked, I posted it on here, not least because a few months ago I was told that the Dutch aren’t racist. From a big hitter who had visited for a weekend.

Definitely the sort of story a 6yo would make up to cover them learning a racist song from their mates when they get called out on it.

He wasn’t called out on it. His son started singing it to him, was asked where he learned it and said in school from the teacher.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Once a kid said I can’t see the board and I said open your eyes then. Oops.

He was the only Chinese student in my class.

He shouted funnily that’s racist Sir.

He had a sense of humour lol.

I know I was Wong.

deadkenny
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkL91LzCMc[/video]

elzorillo
    Free Member

Everything has the possibility to be offensive to someone.. the current desire to find offence in anything and everything is (in my obviously offensive post) pathetic beyond belief.

antigee

thought it was the lyric from a gilbert and sullivan work then i remembered that was all about slant eyed nips

bit worried about CFH’s questionnaire either that is a print problem or the ladies box has a chicken baster in situ

I’ll get my coat….

edit one of the ladies boxes…

kelvin

the current desire to cause offence to anyone and everyone is pathetic beyond belief.

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry – deliberate non-use of smiley – I thought it would be obvious that a 6yo would have no idea about being called out, and no idea that would be offensive (hence no ready made deflection story). Was taking the piss out of Terry Wrist’s post.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Depends – was she handing out biscuits at the same time?

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Sorry – deliberate non-use of smiley – I thought it would be obvious that a 6yo would have no idea about being called out, and no idea that would be offensive (hence no ready made deflection story). Was taking the piss out of Terry Wrist’s post

I’m not saying they’ve got a racist kid with a ready made excuse 🙄

I’m just not sure a teacher would be teaching an obviously racist song in class. I don’t know how to break it to you but children aren’t always totally reliable when they’re telling you stuff. I had to let my Dad know that he was dead once, oldest kid (7)had been telling people his Grandad had died.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Sounds like a bad teacher. Probably had a nasty moment in the supplies cupboard

With somebody from China…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I just had a look through a Chinese phone book. There’s so many Wing’s & Wong’s you have to be careful not to wing the wong number!

angeldust
    Free Member

Same old turds

aracer
    Free Member

Occam’s Razor – why would a 6yo tell their parents the teacher had taught it to them if they weren’t aware there is anything wrong with it? IME kids aren’t all that good at lying to their parents – I presume your kid wasn’t trying that on you 😉

A quick google also gave this link http://www.24oranges.nl/2017/10/02/racist-stereotypes-of-chinese-used-in-classroom/ – so yes it does seem likely, as it appears the racism isn’t quite so obvious to the Dutch.

andykirk
    Free Member

I have never understood why the term ‘slitty eyes’ or doing impressions of people who have ‘slitty eyes’ is in the least bit offensive. I wonder if the chinese do impressions of the big eyed white people? I hope so.

aracer
    Free Member

Really? Is blacking up offensive?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have never understood why the term ‘slitty eyes’ or doing impressions of people who have ‘slitty eyes’ is in the least bit offensive

Can’t see any negative stereotypes in this image?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Is this racist ?’ is closed to new replies.