Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is this cassette too worn?
  • granny_ring

The chain was reading in between
    .75-1 on chain tool, in fact nigh on 1 really on the ebike I bought.
    Acceptable wear or looks a too gone?
    I’ve got a new rear mech to fit so I guess I’ll try that and then decide. It’s making some occasional noises when on top (10th) gear.

IMG 20221023 144926

granny_ring

Tried & failed again with the pic that’s in the link above cheers.

thols2

lesgrandepotato

Sling a fresh chain in, if it runs without slipping happy days.

If not back on with the old and run it til it’s dead

granny_ring

Cheers, can you advise how I do that ta!

ads678

Cheers, can you advise how I do that ta!

Assuming you mean post a photo, not fit a new chain….

Upload pic to https://postimages.org/ then click hotlink for forums, paste link directly into text box on here.

chakaping
    Free Member

I take my hat off to anyone who can genuinely tell when a cassette is finished just by looking at it.

As above, fit new chain and see if it works.

singlespeedstu

I bought new chainring/chain/cassette last week as my chain checker almost fell through the chain it was that worn.🙄
    Chainring also looked total smashed and I could feel the roughness through my feet when the chain got muddy.

Looked again at the cassette and thought it didn’t look too bad so just fitted the chainring and chain.
    Yesterdays shitfest of a ride and it shifted perfect and felt smooth the whole ride so I’ll be saving the new cassette for a later date.
    So as above only way to really tell is to try it.

frogstomp

I’ve not tried this method to comment, but the Park Tool vids are usually good:

granny_ring

It’s got a new chain on and it’s making an occasional noise, maybe slip in 10th. Hard to explain, it doesn’t fill me with confidence tbh. Only done a few runs up the hill and down to bed new pads & discs in so far.
    I’ll try the new mech first then cassette if it still happens I think.
    Failing that I’ll set light to it.

granny_ring

b6xtZx.md.jpg

granny_ring

Yey lol 😂👍

frogstomp

It’s got a new chain on and it’s making an occasional noise, maybe slip in 10th. Hard to explain, it doesn’t fill me with confidence tbh.

How is your front chainring? As the chainring wears it will start to grab and release the chain which can feel like slip. If you turn the cranks on the workstand you may see it happening (normally at about the 8 o’clock position on the chainring).

Marko

You could use one of these:

I’ve one, but I’m not convinced they are any better than a quick test ride with a new chain. I can’t see why you can’t just use a section of the new chain and follow the instructions on the Rohloff website?

tthew

If it’s a second-hand e-bike, I’d put a pound to a pinch of shit that the previous owner had been grinding along at full power in top gear and the smallest sprocket is absolutely goosed. I ride with someone who does this, he won’t accept it’s bad practice, but can afford plenty of new cassettes!

andeh

…top gear and the smallest sprocket is absolutely goosed

Looks it, actually! At least small sprockets are easy to buy on their own, I have the same issue but with the biggest couple (steep round here), impossible to replace without buying a full cassette 😞

sirromj

Looks unused to me 🤣

granny_ring

How is your front chainring? As the chainring wears it will start to grab and release the chain which can feel like slip. If you turn the cranks on the workstand you may see it happening (normally at about the 8 o’clock position on the chainring).

Thanks I’ll try that, It’ll be in the stand to change the mech anyway so worth a look.
    I’ll try a take a pic of cassette with the wheel out too.

dyna-ti

If it’s a second-hand e-bike, I’d put a pound to a pinch of shit that the previous owner had been grinding along at full power in top gear and the smallest sprocket is absolutely goosed.

Thats me 😆 These motor things mean gears are a thing of the past, especially in turbo.

Of my 12 gears, I dont think ive ever used any more than 4, and normally its just the 2.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.