Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is there any reason not to go to the alps mtbing this summer?
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

As the title says really.
    We normally head to the alps for most of the summer but this year we seem to be dragging our heels.
    The other option is Scotland but I’m not sure if it’s open or they want us in Torridon/Applecross area.

We have accommodation in the alps, so I’m not sure what the risk is?

WHat is everyone else doing this summer?

Marin
    Free Member

If I had my own accomodation I’d go.

NewRetroTom

Can’t see much reason really. I think a lot of people who would normally fly will drive instead. I’m based in Chamonix and there are lots of people from all over Europe, including the UK on holiday here at the moment. According to the local doctors there are currently no cases of COVID in the area.

As you say Scotland seems to be taking an extremely cautious approach, so you may find that the people there are not so happy to see outsiders this summer.

rugbydick

We’re driving from Scotland to the Alps next week.
    From a COVID perspective, my biggest concern is getting through England. Most other European countries seem to have the situation better under control.

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

I’m half thinking about this aswell as I usually do an Alps trip in the summer.

My concern is travel insurance and lack of it if you have an accident. Yeah there’s the EHIC card but personally I’m dubious how far that would get you with these medical places in ski resorts.

Other side of it is if there’s a lockdown while you’re out there things could get quite messy.

jam-bo

I’d be reading the T&C’s of my travel insurance very carefully.

matt_outandabout

Eldest_OAB is in the queue for security at Edinburgh airport right now, destination Morzine for 6.5 weeks. Our travel insurance will cover him as we took out an annual policy at Christmas in advance of his ‘world tour’ which never happened.

There are 5 Scottish lads out there, 3 maximum at a time, across the 6 weeks. All sharing the same accommodation as a wee bubble.

It is as safe as being here in Scotland, the only real risk seems to be the journey out on the plane and they have a pal picking them up who owns the accommodation they are using…

P-Jay
    Free Member

We have accommodation in the alps, so I’m not sure what the risk is?

WHat is everyone else doing this summer?

I can’t see any real risk, other than potentially being stuck in France with Covid and no insurance. If you have cover already in place or you can buy travel insurance that covers you, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second.

What am I doing? Sitting here slightly pissed off I postponed my trip until 2021. We were set to go in June for Passportes which got postponed until Aug and then finally 2021.

Of the 12 of us, the majority were happy to sack off Passportes and just go in July/Aug for a ‘normal’ trip, a few couldn’t make it for various reasons and were happy to write it off. But there was one, there’s always one isn’t there. Despite the fact I’ve known him for pretty much my entire life, he suddenly and inexplicably had “a Mate” who was not only a very Senior Doctor, but a **** Covid authority, he convinced us all that there would be zero international travel of any kind this year, if we re-booked we’d be simply throwing our money away and if we did manage to go we’d be trapped in France for the rest of eternity (suited me) and never come home.

He was, as ever, completely full of shit, he just didn’t fancy the dates very much and didn’t want to miss out, so shot it down.

Drac

From a COVID perspective, my biggest concern is getting through England.

Don’t worry your little head just follow social distance rules and hand hygiene or wait a week for Sturgeon to copy Boris again.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Drac reeking of bitterness there…

weeksy

I’m staying home this year despite having accomodation and plans etc, we’ve cancelled them. Just not worth it IMO.

mahalo

Only reason I’m not going is because it wouldn’t be fair ont mrs and kids for me to have a foreign jolly and not them..

neilforrow

Only reason I’m not going is because it wouldn’t be fair ont mrs and kids for me to have a foreign jolly and not them..

This +1

Drac

Drac reeking of bitterness there…

No not at all I’ve nothing to be bitter about. Following the same guidance in England will protect you just as well Scotland.

pdw
    Free Member

We’ve got a family camping holiday (booked in Jan) first two weeks of August, which will definitely feature MTBing.

My biggest concern is getting locked down or slapped with a quarantine order before we leave. Accept that we’re uninsured for Covid-related cancellations (but not much money actually at stake there) or extensions, and reliant on EHIC if we were to actually get it.

The campsite seems to be very well-prepared with their precautions, as do the lifts.

In terms of getting or spreading it, busy service stations on the drive there & back seem like the biggest risk.

Now that I think about it, I’m a little concerned about what a French service station might look like with social distancing in August…

ajaj
    Free Member

If you’re looking for reasons to stay away. It’s all remarkably casual compared to England. There are “masque obliqatoire” signs up, but observance is patchy. We were told to mask up before getting on the lift yesterday. A lot of places, including lifts and service stations have alcohol gel on entry. A few restaurants do.

Social distancing is pretty much non-existant, some shops and services have distance markers but they’re widely ignored.

Campsites as normal except with a one in one out policy at reception. If you’re really lucky the campsite may have soap in the toilets.

All in all, apart from the masks and signs, you’d be hard pushed to tell anything had changed.

But regardless the French seem to have a better grip and be lower risk than staying home.

pdw
    Free Member

We were told to mask up before getting on the lift yesterday

I was curious about that. The place that we’re staying say “masks on lifts”. Is it because you’re sharing them with strangers? As apart from that, I struggle to think of a more socially distant place to be than a ski lift.

oldtennisshoes

As apart from that, I struggle to think of a more socially distant place to be than a ski lift.

Chairs yes, gondolas err nope!

pdw
    Free Member

Fair point. Place we’re staying is chairs only, and having to share a 6 space chair with anyone is very much the exception – and that’s running with most of the chairs closed.

ajaj
    Free Member

The masks on lifts is only in the lift stations at each end. I think it’s to protect the lift station staff, or possibly just part of a general masks indoors policy.

That’s the chairlift. Telecabins were wipe down, mask up and alcohol gel.

myti
    Free Member

Whilst of course it depends on your personal risk assessment and situation I’d say no reason not to! We arrived in the alps yesterday. We were just hiking today so took the funicular up from Bourg st Maurice. Hand gel and masks. Seems much quieter here than i expected but I’ve only been in August before.

Riding for the next few weeks and we are self contained in motorhome so able to minimise contact with others and we have months to kill so no issues if a quarantine were to kick off.

It’s a few years since I’ve been here and I had forgotten that amazing feeling of being in this stunning place.

superfli
    Free Member

Just returning from a fantastic weeks riding in Les arcs/la Thuile/Pila/meribel. Masks on at each station (chair, gondola, funicular). Remove them as soon as you are on. Masks in supermarkets/bakers+petrol stations too. No need in bars+restaurants.
    Heading to Annecy with family in a couple of weeks. Both trips are by car and euro tunnel.
    Less of cv19 out there, so don’t see why you shouldn’t consider it.

Weasel
    Free Member

For those that have been, are the French preferring payment by card, cash or ‘Gallic shrug’ not bothered either way?

We’re doing a trip late August so gives me a few weeks to look at options. Thanks

ajaj
    Free Member

A couple of places have had signs up saying card preferred. Some places are still cash only. Mostly not bothered. Sans contact appears more popular than it was (but that might just be the march of progress generally) and is valid for at least €45.

Halifax is the traditional recommendation for low euro transaction fees.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Dunno if you’re going PDS or not, but saw that Danny Hart vid on pinkbike riding chatel. Looks amazing! No braking bumps and none of that gravel build up on the bottom of berms. Plus youve an excuse not to get plastered at l’opera in morzine

Ambrose

We decided to ‘Staycation’ (I hate that f*****g word) this year. Two reasons: uncertainty about travel and to give our money to UK suppliers. I’m going to miss Morzine/ Les Gets so much, the first time we’ve not been there since 2013. Instead, we are off to Glentress for a week plus a bit of time in the Forest of Dean.

If you get out to the Alps, PLEASE post photos up as soon as you can so that I can have a vicarious, virtual trip.

superfli
    Free Member

Oh go on then. Numerous ridgelines and stunning views 🙂

colp

On our way now.
    Clear run to Dover, quickest check in I’ve had. Ferry quiet. Looking good.

myti
    Free Member

Nice superfli that looks a lot like my day today!

Ambrose

Tears are gently coursing down my cheeks…

But on the bright side, we had a good day in the hills today 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is there any reason not to go to the alps mtbing this summer?’ is closed to new replies.