Home Forums Chat Forum Is there a US equivalent to Companies House?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is there a US equivalent to Companies House?
  • s
    Free Member

Trying to get the latest accounts to two American companies?

Is there a paid service like Companies House where I can access the accounts of American companies?

Had a quick look online & all I can find it credit checking facilities?

Ta.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Each state has its own, depends which state they registered in and the web services are variable.
    Dunno about accounts, but is they are listed then its the SEC they have to file with IIRC

s
    Free Member

I have checked http://www.sec.gov & they are both not listed

ourmaninthenorth

what sugdenr said.

check which state it’s incorporated in – the registered office/primary place of business ought to give that away. My guess is Delaware….

legalalien
    Free Member

If they are publicly traded companies you would likely have found it on the SEC website via the EDGAR database.

In all likelihood, the companies are privately held and not required to submit accounts to public record. Finding detailed information on private companies requires jumping through hoops. Even finding out the registered address can be tricky and you have to know the state they are in. In Michigan, you’d go to the michigan.gov website and spend ages until you found this link: this link where you get some details, but only the name, address, date of incorporation etc.

What are the companies or is this secret squirrel?

garage-dweller

Absolute PITA getting info on non listed US companies. We very occasionally try and asset trace out there and its really hard going and depends on state law as well as national law.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s usually the Secretary of State in each state. Private companies often have little disclosure obligations. Credit ratings agencies may have some information but NB that most of D&B’s crap is self-reported anyway. Sometimes you’re lucky and you can find financials filed in the course of litigation.

In the EU, generally speaking, there is tons of public record info about companies and little about individuals. In the US, generally speaking, it’s the other way around.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is there a US equivalent to Companies House?’ is closed to new replies.