Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • is there a bike brand that no-one hates?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Apart from those old “snapierre” gags, does anyone really hate Lapierre?

Great riding bikes which look fantastic and they run an awesome DH team.

Ditto Nukeproof (but not always looking so good).

vinnyeh

Hate the brand, or the bikes they make, big difference – e.g. the Trek/Lemond business cited above, and the Specialized/trademarks stuff. To hate a brand you really need to dislike something in their ethos.

Chromag
    Spooky
    Ibis
    Dave Hinde

chestrockwell

Trek? Hard to have any strong emotions about Trek. Stupid shocks aside, they seem to have concentrated all of their irritating behaviour into rear axles.

Hate is a strong word but I would never buy a Trek after they snapped up loads of brands bitd only to do nothing with the famous names except pinch the tech. Klein is the best example but you can chuck in Bonty, Fisher and more. Oh, and they are as dull as Giant, Specialized, Kona, blahblahblah.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Giant surely ? , I’ve never heard anyone bad mouth them.

One word. Overdrive.

My boycott of all things Giant remains.

kirky72
    Free Member

Whyte???

difficult to find too much wrong with them as a MTB brand and their ranges are in my opinion strong and tend to be well thought of.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For a list…
    Specialized – z instead of s, sueing people, inventing another pointless standard (142+ etc) and proprietary shocks and mounts.
    Giant – the 650b tbing
    Trek – pure account speccing of bikes
    Kona – had a massive dull phase so not quite hate….
    Marin – fugly
    White – see marin

wrecker
    Free Member

does anyone really hate Lapierre?

They won’t even sell you a spare part unless you are the original owner. Whilst I don’t hate them, no matter how good their bikes are I’d never even consider one.

egb81
    Free Member

I’ve never known anyone to slate Kenesis

convert

Turner. Their bikes are a bit aspirationally priced, and some maybe a bit fugly but I think generally acknowledged to be run by ‘bike people’ with a desire to make nice to ride machines with a great after sales ethos to their customers.

bearnecessities

Oooh, Ritchey?

honourablegeorge

wrecker – Member

They won’t even sell you a spare part unless you are the original owner

Think that was proved to be untrue

cookeaa

“Hate” is a bit strong for most companies isn’t it? I mean there are some I’m less keen on than others, some I find a bit disappointing but TBH I don’t hate any company…

least disliked Hmmm, how about Scott you seldom read any significant digs at them or their kit, I quite like some of their clothing too, they’re basically inoffensive, though I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or not…

wrecker
    Free Member

They point blank refused to sell my mate a swingarm for his zesty, and even confirmed that they had some in stock.

chakaping
    Free Member

They won’t even sell you a spare part unless you are the original owner

I suppose hate doesn’t always have to be rational though.

“Hate” is a bit strong for most companies isn’t it?

I assume the word is being used in the modern, internet-related sense where people casually spout opinionated tosh in an attempt to appear smart in front of strangers.

You know who you are.

coogan
    Free Member

Can’t say I ‘hate’ particular bike brands, but they are plenty I have no interest in buying.

deadkenny
    Free Member

gogg – Member
    Apollo, because you know it’s sh*te from the moment you set eyes on it…

True. You can’t really hate them. Just laugh.

wrecker
    Free Member

I suppose hate doesn’t always have to be rational though.

Erm

Whilst I don’t hate them, no matter how good their bikes are I’d never even consider one.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I really hate those whacky little brands that sell bugger all bikes but still manage to grab headlines with their “oooh look at me monstrosities” that claim to be “the only bike you’ll ever need” when evryone knows they’re only bought but niche whores with N + n bikes already…..

zippykona

Marin…the beige of cycling.
    Ps I’ve got one.

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Oh yes, Kinesis. I was thinking Merlin. Their Malts used to get good recommendations and much more recently folk like their cheapy road bike.

stumpy01

Everyone loves Specialized, don’t they?!

I love them more, every time my mates moan about them.

They always take the mickey out of my Stumpjumper for it’s ‘carbon wrapped’ frame and how ‘heavy’ it is, but I know deep down inside they are massively envious. Honest, they are. No, really! They are.

Jamie
    Free Member

Kenesis

Genesis and Kinesis have merged?

olly2097
    Free Member

Merida – quietly mass producing well priced bikes.

Who? exactly.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The ‘fun’ brands that don ‘t appear to take themselves too seriously but still build some decent reliable bikes/frames – Transition, NukeProof, DMR.

nj5pro
    Free Member

The one and only original Muddy Fox..

chakaping
    Free Member

Genesis

and Kinesis have merged?

Hahaha.

Sorry wrecker, don’t you hate people who don’t read threads properly?

bol

I think the neutrality of the Kinesis brand is something that really draws me to it. Their bikes tend to speak for themselves witu very little promotion or marketing led “personality”. I’ve become quite a fanboy without really realising it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Boardman?

weeksy

monkeychild – Member

Boardman?

I hate them…. even if they’re very good, they just look like cheapo Halfords Apollo bikes…

ndthornton
    Free Member

So let me get this straight….. there isn’t a bike brand out there that somebody doesn’t think that no-one hates

So glad we have sorted that one out

mjsmke

Carerra?

A lot of people seem to hate Specialized but it’s been the best frame i’ve ever owned.

I don’t dislike any brands of bike. Cars however…don’t get me started.

wrecker
    Free Member

Sorry wrecker, don’t you hate people who don’t read threads properly?

😀

hora
    Free Member

I don’t hate any bike brands.

I’d never buy a Specialized bike- I dislike the brand/they strike me as purely big business and their customer service sucks.

The rest? I’ve never had any issues with any bike frame manufacturer including On One/PlanetX (on here).

I love being ribbed and I royally love ribbing people- complete strangers or friends in person.

I think some folk mistake pisstaking for ‘hate’.

Last Sunday a 29’er rode DH past us, I said as he passed ‘can you feel the trail come alive’? (good natured)- he caught on quick and laughed.

TiRed

Merida – quietly mass producing well priced bikes.

…for Specialized.

Not to my taste, but Nicolai seem to always come out well.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Shand, Curtis ?

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve never had anyone say they hate Rocky Mountain when I’m on mine…… 😕

grenosteve
    Free Member

Jeff Jones! 😛

No one has put down Surly yet, and I like them, so that’s my official answer!

hora
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain- my first ‘proper’ mountain bike in 2002 😀

Fantastic paintwork and attention to detail.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stanton.

Northwind

I think these days it’s mostly Rocky owners that have bad things to say about them. Like “Why does the metal pivot wear faster than the bushing” and “why are the parts so ****ing expensive”?

But they are still cool.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘is there a bike brand that no-one hates?’ is closed to new replies.