Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • is the Peak District shortened to Peak or Peaks?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

now in my book it’s the PeakS but others call it the Peak.

If the Lake (singular) District has more than one lake and is shortened to the LakeS surely the Peak District (singular) that has more than one peak should therefore be the PeakS.

Discuss.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Either but all the tedious pedants will tell you that only Peak is correct.

I call it the Peaks.

mugsys_m8

Peak.

Definitely not the Peaks.

Pook

The Peaks. And you can get up to it by riding up the Porter Clough. There’s no such place as Stannage Edge though.

😀

simon@18bikes
    Free Member

i say peak, short for peak district. I reckon both are fine, there’s enough people say each. stanage

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

call it “The Pukes” and annoy everyone :o)

but, if there’s a Dark Peak and a White Peak then surely there’s two of them? I can never remember which is which 🙁

higgo
    Free Member

There’s no ‘correct’ or ‘incorrect’.
    If you say one and I say the other but we both understand each other we’re both right.

barca
    Free Member

There might not be a Stannage but is there a The Jaggers Cluff, The Jacobs Larder, The Pyndale, The Dirtlow Raik or The Roych Cluff?
    It’s The Peak District National Park. That solves the continous Peak/Peaks argument.

higgo
    Free Member

But what was it before the establishment of the (arbitary) National Park?

And can somewhere be considered ‘in the Peak(s)’ if it’s outside the NP boundary?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

N’er cast a cluff till May be stuffed ?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Right or wrong, myself and others I know just say going to The Peaks.

sobriety
    Free Member

As far as i’m aware there are two section of the Peak district, Dark Peak and White Peak, since there’s more than one Peak, the whole district is a plural and thus ‘The Peaks’*

*unless you’re a local, whereby inbreeding will mean you call it the peak 😛

cp

As a whole it’s the Peak District, but it consists of the White Peak and the Dark Peak, so I always refer to it as The Peaks… especially as it’s full of little peaks 🙂

Either will do

Pook

I think you’ve made The error their The Barce

barca
    Free Member

The Peak District?
    No. If it’s not in the Peak District National Park as of today, it’s not in the Peak/Peaks/Peak District/Peak District National Park. Hence, although my mate wants to move to Buxton and “Live in the Peak District”, if he does, he won’t because it isn’t.
    You do know don’t you The Pook, The Racing Ralph will be doing The frothing at the mouth thing by now 🙂

Pook

*there

(how ironic)

barca
    Free Member

Irony rocks as does The Peaks 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Peaks. As someone said, theres two areas.

The Dark peak is the gritstone bit to the north arround (Hope, Bamford etc).

the White Peak is the limestone bit to the south (Dovedale, Ashbourne etc).

Interestingly the Peaks have no peaks, either in the sense they have no mountains or even any hills ending in a ‘peak’.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

although my mate wants to move to Buxton and “Live in the Peak District”, if he does, he won’t because it isn’t.

not necessarily – presumably the place existed before the national park was created, and may not have had any clearly established boundaries ?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

From Wikipedia:

Interesting:

the Peak District is thought to be the second most-visited national park in the world (after the Mount Fuji National Park in Japan).

Theories as to the derivation of the Peak District name include the idea that it came from the Pecsaetan or peaklanders, an Anglo-Saxon tribe who inhabited the central and northern parts of the area from the 6th century AD when it fell within the large Anglian kingdom of Mercia.

All reference on Wiki do call it the(why small ‘t’?) Peak, eg:

History
    The first roads in the Peak were constructed by the Romans,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_District

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

either in the sense they have no mountains

Mount Famine ? Mam Tor (I think Tor means mountain)

barca
    Free Member

“No. If it’s not in the Peak District National Park as of today…..”
    Indeed Mam Tor translates to Mother Mountain

finbar
    Free Member

*unless you’re a local, whereby inbreeding will mean you call it the peak [:P]

Lol, that’d be me then.

My beef with “the peaks” is that this is invariably said (here at Sheffield uni) by students who are going to drive out to Ladybower, go for a 2 mile stroll, have a pint and then drive back to Broomhill. So they won’t be going to both the dark and white peak, or multiple hill peaks. Hence, “the peaks” isn’t appropriate.

phiiiiil

All the Devon people I know (including me until I moved away) call Dartmoor “the moors” even though there’s only one of it.

topangarider
    Free Member

If I’m planning a ride over there – I refer to it as ‘the Peaks’. When I return (and know where I’ve been) I’ll have been to the dark peak or the white peak.

Incidentally Swoosh – I think you’ll find there’s only one Lake in the Lake District. 10 brownie point for first correct answer!

swoosh
    Free Member

topangarider – Member
    If I’m planning a ride over there – I refer to it as ‘the Peaks’. When I return (and know where I’ve been) I’ll have been to the dark peak or the white peak.

Incidentally Swoosh – I think you’ll find there’s only one Lake in the Lake District. 10 brownie point for first correct answer!

Sorry, of course you’re right, the rest are just ‘Water’. Can’t remember which is the ‘Lake’ right now tho.

finbar – Member
    *unless you’re a local, whereby inbreeding will mean you call it the peak [:P]

Lol, that’d be me then.

My beef with “the peaks” is that this is invariably said (here at Sheffield uni) by students who are going to drive out to Ladybower, go for a 2 mile stroll, have a pint and then drive back to Broomhill. So they won’t be going to both the dark and white peak, or multiple hill peaks. Hence, “the peaks” isn’t appropriate.

but then surely neither is the phrase ‘the peak’ in that context as they’re not actually going to any peak at all if they are walking along the banks of the ladybower.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Bassenthwaite is the Lake. All the others are waters or meres

topangarider
    Free Member

Well done Matt-H, you win! Did you use a map, or have you been to too many pub quizzes?!

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m from Carlisle originally

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think you’ll find there’s only one Lake in the Lake District. 10 brownie point for first correct answer!

Windermere – lake
    Coniston Water – lake
    Ullswater – lake
    Hayeswater – reservoir
    Haweswater – lakeish reservoir
    Thirlmere – lakeish reservoir
    Derwent Water – lake
    Skeggles Water – pond
    Buttermere – lake
    Crummock Water – lake
    Loweswater – lake
    Wastwater – lake
    and assorted tarns…

barca
    Free Member

What defines an area of water as lake, mere, pond and tarn?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

History and size most people think:

http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/1.65787

parkedtiger
    Free Member

…and most people I know (in Keswick) talk about ‘the lake’ rather than ‘I’ll meet you by Derwent Water..’. Bassenthwaite is know as ‘Bass’ by most – it’s rare you ever hear the ‘lake’ tagged on the end.

brakes
    Free Member

when are the annual ‘worst thread of the year’ awards?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What defines an area of water as lake, mere, pond and tarn?

I think of a lake as being at the bottom of a valley and a tarn as being somewhere up a hill. A mere is anyone’s guess. A pond is too small for a boat.
    HTH

topangarider
    Free Member

If you reread my thread, I stated there is only one ‘Lake’, not one ‘lake’ – spot the capital letter. So whilst there is many lakes, there is only one Lake.

Really – you lot would be crap on QI!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I stated there is only one ‘Lake’, not one ‘lake’

therefore it shall henceforth be known as ‘The Watermere District’

Does it really fookin matter what people call it/them?

BTW – I live near Matlock, just outside the Southern edge of the White Peak. I ride round bits of the White Peak from my front door, but when going up to Hope, generally say I’m going up to the Peak District. I actually never call it the Peak, or Peaks come to think of it.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘is the Peak District shortened to Peak or Peaks?’ is closed to new replies.