Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is Pace warranty still rubbish?
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

So im looking to build a bike for the other half, no hurry. Pace rc529 is definately on the list, thing is I know they used to be a bit arsey to deal with with a questionable attitude to warranty. Is this still the same or has anyone actually had a good warranty experience from them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124931408373?hash=item1d167e01f5:g:z~AAAOSwN0RhSzJG

this guy seems to not have and whilst I can’t confirm his story it does seem to confirm my suspicions..

bri-72

He mentions crash so who knows how it happened.
    Still you’d expect some comms from them. I emailed last year with an enquiry about cycle to work as their website sparse on detail. No response. Didn’t follow up, their loss.

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s been a while since I’ve dealt with them but it wasn’t good then and it’s put me off them for life.

StuE
    Free Member

I’ve had RC529 for a couple of years and love it,Pace have been brilliant to deal with but I can’t comment on warranty has I haven’t need it,that Ebay listing is more than a bit odd guy damages bike in a crash but somehow it’s Paces fault

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d not be touching that frame, even with your shitty stick.

Those are deep, with sharp edges, and the down tube is bent.

Its been ridden into something hard, or similar. Who knows what else on it is damaged.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Once bitten, twice shy. With so much to choose from (covid aside), why risk it?

matt_outandabout

I’m with scienceofficer.

You’re already down for £150 repair and £150 paint job, on top of purchase.

Hang out for a better frame.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have had excellent service from Pace with regards to a warranty. I think they struggle with comms occasionally. However, I have had the same issue with several small uk brands, which is understandable.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

There have been a few posts in the past with poor experiences (not crash related). I wouldn’t personally consider a Pace frame on the back of them.

My experience of Kona’s warranty was awful, for balance, Trek (Gary Fisher frame) was very good

I wouldn’t touch the frame on eBay either, far too much work needed and you don’t know what really happened

dyna-ti

Small impact he says and blames manufacturing 😕 More like a serious front end wallop straight into a tree.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch Pace with a barge pole after Adrian shouted at me at a bike show for pointing out that even his display forks had oil pissing out of them. I was told “f### off out of my stand, all forks do that”. I wasn’t even being an arse, just chatting about the oil leaks with my mate and he overheard.

Bruce

We had such a poor experience with Pace that my LBS stopped dealing with them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Small impact he says and blames manufacturing 😕 More like a serious front end wallop straight into a tree.

Top tube would have gone as well if massive, looks like a failure along the tube butting, it’s not straight but looks like that type of fail.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s not that Paces products are any better or worse than anybody else’s, it’s their attitude/culture to their own warranty that’s the problem.

Both Pace and Orange have form for blaming their punters for their own manufacturing defects.

I understand it’s absolutely the case that some owners are just massive bellends, but the question is, is it worth the lottery?

Dark-Side

A long time ago now, but I promised to never use Pace again after they said my two rides old Pace fork had seized due to lack of servicing and therefore wasn’t covered by warranty.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

The warranty issue is irrelevant as no bike company’s going to warranty that.
    Pace not responding again is just a factor if you’re planning to buy new from them (I wouldn’t).
    That particular frame looks like scrap to me. By the time all the work is done to make it ridable and safe it’s not worth it.

beamers

Waaaay bag in the day (2003ish) I had a set of early production Air Force 2 Hollowform LT forks which lost all of their pressure as soon as they went over a bump!

After several trips back and forth to Pace HQ where they has been tested on some sort of jig (allegedly) with no fault identified they eventually put them on a bike and rode them and confirmed their there was indeed a fault.

Oh, and they also sucked water in through the seals which they tried to fix but without much success.

Forks no longer in use (although they are still fitted to a bike in the fleet) but the Pace windproof top they sent to me as compensation for all of the trouble is still in regular use.

tonyg2003

I bought my RC529 built bike from them last year and they were great to deal with. Not had a warranty issue though and there is no talk of warranty issues on the Pace PR529/627 Facebook group.

Got to say that it must about 15yrs since Pace sold the fork business to DT Swiss – some pretty old tales of Pace here.

plus-one

I had a pair of rc40 fighter forks 150mm travel. They looked awesome with full carbon lowers and stealthy decals.

However they felt like two bits of wood were used for damping and constantly leaked !!

Got my money back eventually. Think when Dt-Swiss took them over they improved markedly

beanieripper
    Free Member

I wasn’t considering buying that particular frame but I have been considering a new one on pre order. Strange re the Orange warranty comment. Last year Orange were amazing and went well above and beyond for me, very impressed. Thanks for the feedback, it’s really reinforced what I thought I knew, I’ll skip Pace I think…

walleater

If that frame above failed due to a manufacturing error, I’m Charlton Heston.
    I’ve folded a Mavic 521 rim and broke around 10 spokes in the wheel as a result of a low speed incident. IIRC I got stuck in a rut. Just depends on how you load the product. It was 100% my fault so I didn’t go crying ‘JRA’ and blaming Mavic.
    I’ve also had frames that I’ve written off and not noticed at the time.
    I don’t have a horse in this race but it would have been nice if Pace responded but can’t really blame them for not warrantying the frame unless it was a known issue whereby they spec’ed tubes with really thin walls. Also seems like people are talking about really old stuff. What about current issues?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Got to say that it must about 15yrs since Pace sold the fork business to DT Swiss – some pretty old tales of Pace here.

True, but the same people are still running it.

chestrockwell

Strange re the Orange warranty comment. Last year Orange were amazing and went well above and beyond for me, very impressed. Thanks for the feedback, it’s really reinforced what I thought I knew, I’ll skip Pace I think…

Agree about Orange, their warranty is usually highly praised these days and I could not fault them when my Segment cracked.

As for Pace, there are plenty of horror stories about comms but tbf, when I was looking into a 529 frame last year Sofie (?) was very helpful and got back to me within a day or so every time.

tonyg2003

Yep Sophie was great toowhen I was getting my RC529 built up.

Oh and the Ebay add is a joke. They seem to have stacked their bike badly and are claiming for a warranty claim. It’s a fold in the middle of an 853 tube. Thats not a error in manufacture. I’ve not seen any others go like that on the 529/627 FB page.

Rich_s

The Orange comment might relate back to the dawn of time – they were (apparently) buying in frames from just about anywhere for Clockwork/prestige/O/Elite due to them growing so fast. Apparently QC was a lot lacking and they were a bit quick to defend themselves – this is why they came up with the original p7 as the prestiges in particular would snap.

All 2nd hand anecdotal info by the way, from nigh on 25 years ago!

I have been looking for a small -5 or similar for one of my kids so I am comfortable that they’re much better than they were.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is Pace warranty still rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.