Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is OSApp shit, or is my Samsung Phone?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve had the Ordnance Survey app for a few years and really like it.

But recently it is taking ages to open a map
    It just sits there for minutes at a time and then takes ages to show my location.

I’m assuming the problem is my rancid Samsung A12, which I utterly loathe, and so I’m thinking of getting a Pixel 6a instead.

But don’t want to splash the cash only to find it’s just as bad and actually the OSApp has just got bloateder.

So, tell me if your OSApp is still responsive or not…

teaandbiscuits
    Free Member

Mine loads very quickly on my OnePlus 8T

nuke

It’s slower to load these days…just a grey map screen before the maps load (os 25k downloaded) on my g7 power but not minutes.

Issue i have with os apps is that i follow my route with the phone on my bars but my position won’t stay centred on the screen (tracker icon blue) so i have to then get it to snap back to my position. I thought it was the os app but think it’s more to do with Android not having the ‘All the time’ location permission any longer and having ‘Allowed only while in use’ (with the exception being google & Google maps which are allowed ‘all the time’)… really annoys me

Just opened it on my S22 Ultra and took about two seconds to go to the last location I was searching, then another second to home in on my current location – on a 4g connection with 1 bar

scotroutes

Mine is now experiencing this delayed map loading. Started happening a few weeks ago. That’s on a Pixel 6 with Android 13. Seems to be quicker if I close it and try a second time.

I was going to try removing and re-installing the App so this thread is a handy reminder. I’ll let you know if things improve.

spacemonkey

Super snappy on iOS. Always has been IME.

scotroutes

OK – Uninstall and re-install seems to have cured it. No delay whatsoever at the moment.

ElShalimo

I find it slow but I don’t pay the annual fee. I just use it to view digital versions of the paper maps I’ve bought and have a code for.
    Even though the maps are offline and stored on the device it’s really slow ! Always has been, I’m on my 3rd phone now with it

ebennett

When it worked it was great on my old S8, but I lost count of the number of times I went to check an offline map I’d downloaded and it either wasn’t accessible or it had deleted it and wanted me to download it again. Haven’t used it since getting a new phone and tend to just plan routes and navigate with my Garmin these days.

nuke

Ignore – double post

FOG

I do pay the annual subscription but it still takes several minutes to load on a Pixel 3a.
    This is relatively recent, it used to produce a map very quickly on the same phone. I can only assume that they have changed something that means it doesn’t work as smoothly on Android phones

scotroutes

@FOG – try deleting the App and re-installing it. I did that this morning and it’s super-snappy now.

FOG

That worked! Cheers scotroutes, as you say very snappy now.

DickBarton

Maybe clear the app cache might help? Might be easier than deleting the app and reinstalling.

tom7044

For OSmaps on a Samsung phone I find if I turn off mobile data just before opening app then loads instantly, if not it takes ages like you describe. I think temporarily turning off data forces the app to go straight to loading the downloaded maps (where I own the paper map) rather than run a live copy over data. Once up can turn data back on no bother.
    Discovered this by mistake when trying to save battery one day, guess some logic in the app tries to prioritise live data over existing downloads no matter what, maybe to get latest version? Could also be because I don’t have a subscription, just downloads of paper maps, so is deliberately slowed down?
    On a tablet on WiFi it runs fast no matter what so is something different in how the app runs on a phone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.