Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is my tyre dead?
  • ratherbeintobago

Visited by the puncture fairy today; nail went in through the tread and out through the sidewall by the rim.

Does the panel think this is goosed or can I have a crack at trying to get it to re-seal? Conti X-king ProTection 29×2.2 with Orange Seal goo.

Trimix
    Free Member

Glue a bit of another tyre on the inside. Use a tube. If the bead is intact it will work fine.

Years ago I ripped the sidewall of a brand new (expensive) tyre. I sewed it together with dental floss and used some tank tape on the inside. Lasted years with a tube.

Garry_Lager

Can’t you just repair it? Two tubeless plugs take 10 mins. Can have problems if the puncture is right on the bead but if the nail poked out it sounds like it’s a bit above it.

stevied
    Free Member

I fixed a fairly large hole with the big end of a cable tie, poked through the hole from the inside, and cut off below tread depth.
    The tyre was still going strong after another 4-500 miles when I swapped it for something else.

carlos
    Free Member

Did something very similar to about a 2 month old Maxxis Agressor. I fixed it with a tyre plug and an anchovie in the cut near the rim, new stans and the fix lasted.
    Guess it depends how old the tyre is as to whether its worth saving

BearBack
    Free Member

Clean out your goo at the holes, prep and Glue a patch over each holes.
    Regular inner tube repair patches.
    Will be fine.
    A nail will do no more damage than a anchovie insertion tool.
    I’ve fixed a few sidewall snake bite tears that have lasted just fine.

ratherbeintobago

I was wondering about using patches and rubber cement.

Damage should be clear of the bead…

docgeoffyjones

I had a split tyre and someone on here recommended sewing the split up with dental floss then patching the inside. I did it but never got round to using the tyre again.

tdog
    Free Member

It is a Conti therefore good for the BIN BAG unless you want your neighbours to know you have been using German rubber.

tall_martin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/12-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Wired-3mm-Small-Head-Plug-Patch-Mushroom/1788610638?iid=131208504777&rt=nc

Thanks to a psa on here I’ve used these with success when the puncture has been close to the bead. The link is just the first on on eBay,not a recommendation of which ones to buy 🙂

ratherbeintobago

It’s dead. On closer inspection the exit hole is a rip right down on the bead. Bah.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is my tyre dead?’ is closed to new replies.