Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Is my shifter dead?
  • martinhutch

XTR 9100 12 speed shifter lever has gone floppy, sometimes get all three upshifts out of a push as per normal, sometimes there’s no resistance at all, like something isn’t resetting after a shift. The cable isn’t slack, so I think it’s the internals.

Luckily it’s under two years old, so still should be within warranty, but wondered if there was any home fix that might save my ride tomorrow. Anyone had similar?

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s possible the release pawl has got gummed up on it’s shaft, and is sticking. Ideally, a stripdown, and lube of just the offending part is best, but indiscriminate spraying of GT85 through the cable port often works.

martinhutch

Cheers, will give that a go before I bung it back to the retailer.

lucky13
    Free Member

A few people are having problems with those shifters: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/shimano-xtr-m9100-shifters-keep-breaking-no-downshift-intermittently.1150763/

I have noticed, on an older set of XT levers, that the big lever moves but does not shift when there is a little pressure on the small lever – there is something in the mechanism that stops both levers working at the same time. Perhaps when the problem happens you could try wiggling the small lever to see if that will help reset the shifter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Is my shifter dead?’ is closed to new replies.