Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Is my daughter’s car a write off?
  • Rich_s

All in all a rotten experience though I have to say the service from DL really has seemed pretty slick up to now (certainly better than daughter’s own insurers).

Of course it is. They’re trying to attract you as a customer.

though we will still have an unplanned expense to make up the difference to put her in a similar age/make of car.

Eh? Their payment should put her back in a similar age / make of car.

Has she claimed for injury?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

She will still have to declare the accident, regardless of what DL have told you.

+1

You still have to declare the accident.

You might not have to declare the claim (and hence NCB still accrues for the year).

Makes using price comparison sites difficult for a few years as regardless of the wording they use, it’s the wording on the insurer’s site and documentation that matters and the Meerkats are just transferring the answer to their questions to the insurer’s site/API.

I had a similar issue after being a naughty boy and going on a speed awareness course. The Meerkats didn’t ask that at the time only if you had points, but you still had to check the insurer wasn’t asking and getting the wrong answer from the comparisons site.

brads
    Free Member

yup, no fault loading will increase her costs for 5 yrs.

mashr

Premier Icon
    brads

yup, no fault loading will increase her costs for 5 yrs

Kinda. One element of the premium will increase, however the overall picture can still balance this out or even make it cheaper

luv2ride
    Free Member

Given the comments above ive now raised a dispute to see if they will improve their offer, though likely to delay payout for a few days. We have loads of evidence that we’re still a fair few hundred adrift of being able to put the daughte into another i10 of same cage/condition/mileage etc. I kept asking if she had whiplash or not, but she’s been raised honest and its still a “no” on the personal injury front.

I’d seen the post the other day about a low mileage Jazz being sold by a STW forumite on here but our girl can’t look past the i10! At least it narrows down the search criteria. She driving the hire car at the moment, so hopefully driving confidence will return quickly too.

5lab

You may have to send the hire car back the day or 2 after payment arrives, so worth trying to find a new car before then if finances allow, especially if you have to faff with fitting a black box.

The insurance comp is allowed to make allowance for a bit being knocked off prices as part of negotiation, but this should be limited to a couple of hundred at this end of the market.

They may allow you to keep the car for a relatively low cost, consider doing this then flogging it on (honestly). I recon lots of people would be fine driving a car in that condition, an easy way to make a few quid

Rich_s

Given the comments above ive now raised a dispute to see if they will improve their offer,

Read that other thread again. You have zero rights of appeal or complaint against Direct Line. You are not their customer. If you get what you want, then happy days and walk away. If you don’t get what you want, or something goes wrong, then you have zero recourse, apart from suing. And that will get complex.

oceanskipper

Oh, your daughter will need to declare this no fault claim for 5 to 6 years every time she goes with a new insurance company…

Yes and despite it being a no fault claim the premiums will go up.

Case in point – someone reversed into me in a car park exit queue. I was stationary and despite sounding the horn he just kept on coming. He then tried to claim I drove into him. As it was the damage was very superficial (will cost £250 using Chips Away or similar). Anyhow I rang my insurance company as I wanted him to pay for it obviously. They told me that I would have to claim on my own insurance and then they would try to claim it back. Given that he was obv going to deny it I decided to forget it and just pay for the repair myself.

Sooo I came to renew my insurance this year and I ticked the no claims box and went to buy the cheapest one. When I clicked “buy” a pop up appeared saying that an accident was recorded on the National Database (it gave the date that I had been driven in to) and here was my new quote!  I rang to try and get it removed but “no can do” and so my premiums have now gone up….. TBF it was only £35 but still.

Rich_s

That’s because it’s not a “No Claims” box; it’s a “No accidents, losses, claims or circumstances that might give rise to…”

And clearly you did have one of those. So what you did was (attempt to) commit an act of fraud. For 35 quid. Other people on here have had policies cancelled for doing that!

Oh, and we’ve all done things that are similar. Just sometimes people get away with it sometimes not. ;o)

oceanskipper

Yes, lesson learned. I wasn’t intending to commit fraud just didn’t realise it applied even if I didn’t claim. I know now.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

We just spent 3 months of arguing with ‘our’ works insurance company after a 3rd party rammed our vehicle into the central reservation and wrote it off. They say the 3rd party hasn’t accepted liability as yet,even though they had witnesses and the other driver was cuffed and taken away from the scene. They weren’t going to give us the true value of the vehicle. So while you have the hire car ( although they may say you only have it for 2 weeks) argue the case, as it is costing them money to have you in the hire car. We got there in the end, but was a time wasting ballache. ake sure you find vehicles of the same make,spec and mileage as evidence of value.
    As for policy increase, we had a women ram the back of our car in a carpark and drive off.The Mrs was waiting in our car and gave chase. We were insured with D.L then and they were really good. Hire car appeared, car went to my recommended bodyshop and we didnt get any loading on the insurance the next year.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Is my daughter’s car a write off?’ is closed to new replies.