Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Is my 2006 Stumpjumper obsolete? :(
  • bridges
    Free Member

My old Stumpjumper was from about the same era. The original owner had replaced the standard rear shock with a Fox Float RP I think, can’t remember exactly. It had a switch to help eliminate pedal bob, but I can’t say I ever felt that working. I’m sorry I can’t remember the exact size, but I do know it wasn’t quite exactly what the original shock was, because of the aforementioned issue with the weird sizing. So it was a couple of mm different, but I can tell you it worked absolutely fine. So I would say, if you can find a basic air shock that will fit, then go for it. A new equivalent bike will be expensive, and not necessarily any ‘better’, although many on here will tell you otherwise. It really is all down to trying out different things and seeing what suits you best. It may well be that you actually prefer the older design; I’ve tried a few different bikes over the last few years, and I still prefer a 26″ wheel for some of the riding I do, and larger wheels for other stuff. Horses for courses. But for the cost of a replacement shock, you will at least have a bike that you can enjoy riding. And that’s the most important bit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@robketh

I’m wanting to make sure I wouldn’t say the same thing! I already have an almost-immaculate early 2000s GT Timberline (in the gorgeous green livery, still on the original tan wall tyres) so don’t really have space to repair the Stumpy and buy another

That’s not original as they came with black wall WTB Velociraptors. You should just give up and keep the Stumpy. I’ll get rid of it for you. I’m nice like that.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sadly I assume my 2006 Spec Enduro is completely worthless for much the same reason as the OP. Shock knackered (Thin Shaft inside, Damper???? Snapped and no new one exists apparently ) Guess a new shock would be out there but is the few hubndred quid worth it. Decent forks are mega rare as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is my 2006 Stumpjumper obsolete? :(’ is closed to new replies.