Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,885 total)
  • Is May about to call an election?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

that is exactly what I said to the kids about the holidays. That sure showed them.

Sorry though you might have gone for sensible for a few more posts or tried to argue there was agreement between brexiters – actually you are not that daft are you. That is more jamby than you as you like to at least have a pretence of fact to your point.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hey, Junky, make no mistake, i said this at the time, that we ought to discuss where next

But you lot were all too wrapped up in how e-petitions, court challenges and protest marches could stop Brexit

aracer
    Free Member

Wow – you’re really being incisive today. Because this is literally the first time anybody has made that point.

Junkyard
    Free Member

course you did and its our fault, we are very sorry we were to busy whaling and gnashing our teeth to hear your diplomatic tones for unity, after victory, and agreement moving forward. Boy do we feel foolish now for not listening to your one nation together speeches you made unendingly on here – I am only hoping saying this makes you scurry of to your excel file of posts you once said to prove your point as I like to waste your time to 😛

jet26
    Free Member

Mindanao I’m not taking issue with the result. The whole debate around what is a good deal is a moot point though if it is entirely unclear what the leave vote wanted.

How do you know if you’ve got what you want if you don’t know what you want in the first place?

El-bent
    Free Member

Hey, Junky, make no mistake, i said this at the time, that we ought to discuss where next

But you lot were all too wrapped up in how e-petitions, court challenges and protest marches could stop Brexit

Some of us have moved on labrat. We are just waiting for you brexiters to defeat yourselves, and then we will go to work.

chewkw
    Free Member

El-bent – Member
    We are just waiting for you brexiters to defeat yourselves, and then we will go to work.

You lot will work on what? You will retire by that time and probably just enjoy your pension to see the world go by. Your children probably will not listen to you because you will be old by then. 😛

It will take, at least, another two generations to come up with another “global system” coz we are just starting to dismantle the current ones. 😆

igm

The dismantling will fall apart quickly Chewkw. We have no fears there.

Ninfan – plenty of remainers were asking what leave actually meant last July, but the Brexies were stuck on transmit about leaving now. Remember the Brexies trashing Polish property? Only now as it’s becoming clear it’s all falling apart for Brexit are you fools starting to listen. But you’re still mainly trying to blame others.
    If you check back on this thread you’ll find my suggestions of what a decent Brexit deal might look like back in about July (four freedoms as a minimum, no need for grants for farmers, and leaving the European Parliament etc if we must). But I have to be honest – idiot Brexy behaviour since then has hardened my attitude against Brexit somewhat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps you, and the rest of the Remainders, would have been better making them in the aftermath of the vote, actually engaging in a debate about ‘where do we go from here’

We did, a lot. Were you not here for that?

Actually though, it would have been more important BEFORE the vote.

dazh

Maybe it’s just me, but Chairman May is being quietly skewered by the audience on QT. Completely unable and unwilling to answer a question straightly. Even the self declared tory voter seems to despise her!

piemonster

Even the self declared tory voter seems to despise her!

To my eternal shame I have a couple of Tory councillors on Facebook. Normally they’re very active online, very engaged with their local community and campaigning hard when there’s a vote at hand.

Right now, utterly silent!

fifeandy
    Free Member

@dazh Yes and no. Some tough questions to give satisfactory answers to.
    She’s answered some, and twisted her answer to avoid some others quite well.
    Based on what i just saw i’m not quite sure why she’s been hiding from debates/media, she seemed just as competent as anyone else.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if only she shared your confidence

did not get a shoeing but she does waffle a bit /speak like a politician*
    Corbyn speaks much more “normally”

* eg education I want the best or every child etc but not actually saying much or answering the question.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Oh yeah, ‘politician’ speak is extremely frustrating. We certainly need more that just speak their mind.

mattyfez

* eg education I want the best or every child etc but not actually saying much or answering the question.

This is the thing for me, she holds pretty much the most powerful position in the country, she’s paid very well, she’s got a guaranteed gold plated retirement plan, plus other business interests I’m sure. Her husband isn’t exactly Skint.

I’m not nessesarily against that but I’d expect certain calibre of person to step up to what is a very tough life consuming job if it’s to be done properly and justify the benefits.

I’m not seeing that from May, she strikes me as shrewd opportunistic chancer who’ll be laughing all the way to the bank when her time is up regardless of what happens.

That’s not head of state material.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ooh, Corbyn utterly losing the room there

Junkyard
    Free Member

Arent you tories meant to be singing Mays praises rather than just attacking corbyn?

allthepies
    Free Member

Lol @ the stooge. Jez nearly used the name but err’d back to “the person you’re talking about”.

dazh

Ooh, Corbyn utterly losing the room there

As the young lady said, the fact that some people are obsessed with the idea of killing millions of people is a bit bizarre.

ninfan
    Free Member

Arent you tories meant to be singing Mays praises rather than just attacking corbyn?

Why? I’ve said for ages that Rees-Mogg or Wee Ruthie should have been leader.

oldnpastit

ninfan – Member

Why? I’ve said for ages that Rees-Mogg or Wee Ruthie should have been leader.

Nice work there Ninfan…. 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Well JC’s surely having quite a hard time of it. And he’s written the front pages for the next couple of days by refusing twice (or 3 times?) to say he’d press the button.

He’s done quite well at deflecting questioning about the money tree though.

dazh

Well JC’s surely having quite a hard time of it.

He was certainly challenged, yes. His response though was to answer the questions honestly and in some detail, and didn’t once try to obfuscate or evade. Unless of course you think his dislike of wanting to kill millions of people by using nuclear weapons is a bad thing. 😕

Quite frankly it was a far more honest, detailed and passionate performance than May, who again just waffled her way through it.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t worry, they’ll be getting their chance soon enough.

ninfan
    Free Member

@aracer – Imagine, a political party that is happy to drop a leader if they’re not doing the job.

IMagine how different things might be this time next week if Labour had the balls to do that

ctk
    Free Member

Corbyn smashed it apart from the nukes which was the most awkward moment of the night.

May just droned on saying as little as possible. Dimbleby let her get away with it a bit.

jet26
    Free Member

Didn’t actually think either waffled less than the other. Saying we want everyone to be equal in various ways doesn’t get to the detail.

Neither of them were great.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Doesn’t she look tired?

fifeandy
    Free Member

@dazh, he was evading inside the first 2-3mins when challenged on how he could be trusted to be responsible with spending. He more or less dodged it completely and just told us more of what he wanted to spend money on.
    And ALL he did on the ‘button’ question was evade. ‘Politician’ speak with the odd sprinkling of honesty today from both sides.

rone

Corbyn smashed it apart from the nukes which was the most awkward moment of the night.

To be honest an awkward response is the correct one. It shouldn’t be easy to come to an abrupt decision.

Besides what is it with red faced fat blokes pushing for the red button ? Idiots. Britain first rejects.

allthepies
    Free Member

Dimbleby let her get away with it a bit.

Tory media ? 😀

ctk
    Free Member

Absolutely agree I’m just thinking how it’ll play in the media/ public.

He pulled it back slightly with the talk of frigates, aircraft carriers etc

ctk
    Free Member

Dimbleby pushed him on nukes Q more than he pushed May on any question.

dazh

And ALL he did on the ‘button’ question

Nice euphemism. Lets just be clear what that means, which is the deaths of millions of people and the destruction of civilisation in another country, and more importantly HERE, as it will result in inevitable retaliation. But still yeah, lets just carry on like it’s a schoolyard fight.

As someone on twitter just said, debating a hypothetical nuclear war is much easier than figuring out how to fund the NHS or solve homelessness.

ninfan
    Free Member

It shouldn’t be easy to come to an abrupt decision

In case you hadn’t noticed it’s one of those situations where an abrupt decision is exactly what you will have to make

and more importantly HERE, as it will result in inevitable retaliation.

Committing to no first use I think the audience, and most people, wouldn’t have any problem with, it was when he tried to fudge the issue of retaliatory use that he dug himself into a nuclear-bomb sized crater

frankconway

Neither May nor Corbyn ‘smashed it’.

Both performed to a similar level – some direct answers, some evasion & some uncomfortable moments.

Can’t see tonight’s performance causing any elector to change their mind.

At the end I knew no more than I did at the beginning.

rone

In case you hadn’t noticed it’s one of those situations where an abrupt decision is exactly what you will have to make

Maybe in the public’s Hollywood version of good versus evil.

It’s the measure of a person if your focus is on war rather than peace.

As an aside these IRA and Red button questions are getting quite intolerable. They’ve been in every debate as the media wranglers know they inflame single cell organisms.

dazh

No it’s one of those situations where everyone just dies or suffers a long and prolonged period of horrific suffering and/or starvation. If it it satisfies your warped sense of machismo though then carry on.

it was when he tried to fudge the issue of retaliatory use

Lifelong peace activist admits not wanting to murder millions of people shocker! I love how nuclear weapons bring out the real men. Congratulations.

ninfan
    Free Member

No it’s one of those situations where everyone just dies or suffers a long and prolonged period of horrific suffering and/or starvation.

More scaremongering, there have been literally hundreds of nuclear explosions, and nobody has died (for a very long time)

In 1946, no one died
    In 1947, no one died
    In 1948…

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1rYlCpOnM[/video]

Poopscoop

People are worried annoy if Corbyn will kill millions in our defence??

My worry is far more immediate and needs correcting immediately. Not hypothetically!

I’m worried about the people ding NOW due to Social Care falling apart and an NHS that is barely holding together at the seams. I’ve experienced it first hand helping others with social and health care issues.

That tragedy happening NOW.

MAY DOESN’T give a damn about that. Not a blink of sleep lost over it I’m sure.

I’ll take my chances on being nuked if it means I get to see my friends and family being cared for NOW and in the future in this country.

Over time I’ve gone from thinking Corbyn is a joke to thinking he is the only hope we have.

I can’t imagine anyone that ever thinks they will need the NHS (most of us)even contemplating voting Conservative. I just can’t comprehend the mentality.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,885 total)

The topic ‘Is May about to call an election?’ is closed to new replies.