Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Is Keanu Reeves an actor??
  • DrP

I’m beginning to question it..

He was barely acting in the Matrix films.
    However, having recently watched John Wick and JW2, I cannot believe that when he opens his mouth to speak, that it isn’t a joke.

We all bandy about the “I could act better than him”. I genuinely think I COULD act better than him!

Watch the second John Wick and then tell me that he’s a good actor!! I think there’s a reason he only has 8 lines in the whole film!!!

ANyway, mostly pointless rantette, but I had to get it off my chest!

DrP

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think he’s EXCELLENT!

SaxonRider

My sentiments, exactly, pp. He was born for that role. Literally.

jimjam
    Free Member

DrP – Member

We all bandy about the “I could act better than him”. I genuinely think I COULD act better than him!

Act out a short film scene or performance piece and post it up for us to see please.

He’s not great technical actor but I think he’s found his niche now as a post modern action star. I was watching a biography of Charles Bronson on youtube a while back and I was thinking about how he was similarly inexpressive but still very watchable. A plausible tough guy.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

He’s a movie star.

RustySpanner

Michael Caine and Sean Connery have both played themselves for years.
    They just happen to be more interesting.
    🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Michael Caine and Sean Connery have both played themselves for years.

See also: Tommy Lee Jones who has taken the “playing yourself in lots of different movies” genre to a whole new level….blazing a trail which Samuel L.Jackson has followed to it’s ultimate conclusion.

chrismac

I think he is in the Tom Cruise school of acting where they play the same character (themselves) in every film and hope people dont mind. Seems to work for Cruise for reasons I dont understand

drlex
    Free Member

OP needs to watch Point Break (original) for more Keanu amusement. Remove the Ted role, and his range begins to match that of Jason Statham Esq.

lovewookie

He’s up there with Nic Cage in terms of acting prowess. however, like Cage he’s watchable in most films, and kinda suits them well, even dracula and bloody Jonny mnemonic (though the dolphin stole the show).

fasthaggis

I genuinely think I COULD act better than him!

Yes,because all acting is a complete piece of piss.

As jimjam suggests,why don’t you step up on stage or do a wee Go-Pro movie for us all.
    L8rs 😛

lovewookie

yeah, what all them ^^^ said.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s Hollywood innit. Quantity not quality. Big names are recruited for their ability to draw big crowds at the box office and not necessarily their acting ability.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Isn’t the movie star model a deliberate marketing decision by films makers? Without some high profile actor playing the same role they’ve always done they never get financed.

IIRC (i.e. i’ve just googled it) Florence Lawrence was the first actor whose name was used to promote a film.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I genuinely think I COULD act better than him!

Maybe, but could you look cool in a full length leather coat?

There are only about a dozen people on the planet who can pull that look off.

I suspect none of them are on this forum.

jimjam
    Free Member

lovewookie – Member

He’s up there with Nic Cage in terms of acting prowess.

Jesus Christ. Nicholas Cage is was a brilliant actor. He’s just got a few million pounds in taxes outstanding. Tom Cruise is also a very good actor.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Even though he’s made some decent films I think Denzel Washington qualifies as someone who just plays themselves.

RustySpanner

But DrP is method innit?
    He’s been immersing himself in this role for years.
    Unless you’ve met him, you’d never know if he was acting or not.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

He should just get a role playing a bad actor

fasthaggis

I suspect none of them are on this forum.

Not yet,but in the near future,once the Doc has nailed a few auditions.. 😉

km79
    Free Member

He may not be the best at acting but he seems to do alright. He might though be the nicest most genuine guy in Hollywood.

Stoner
    Free Member

Surely the epitomy of “playing yourself” is Being John Malkovich.

Only that John Malkovich is actually a really good actor

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

You might be able to act better than him (I thought he suited the Neo role really well, can’t believe that all started ~18 years ago now), but would you give up your seat on public transport, as a multi-millionaire? 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMB1EOnUwX8[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

John Malkovich isn’t really like himself in real life though. He’s just a really good actor.

brakes
    Free Member

Agree, but if you remade the Matrixes now with someone else it wouldn’t work. He is Neo.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Matrices. 😉

kimbers

Daniel Craig not much better imo

or maybe bond is just such a shallow role?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s just another actor that plays themselves quite well like all the others mentioned here.
    Nothing bad about it, if thats what you like, fine.

However, all the actors mentioned above are head and shoulders above Kevin Costner who is more wooden than a wooden thing. He’s truly awful.

mikey74
    Free Member

Constantine was also another decent role of his, I thought; to go alongside the Matrix, Point Break and Bill and Ted.

Not the best actor there’s ever been, but he does enough to make some of his films enjoyable. Plus, he does also seem to be a decent chap.

ThePinkster

I think he is in the Tom Cruise school of acting

Whenever someone says something like that I can’t but help think of this

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFal553wR3k[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

John Malkovich isn’t really like himself in real life though. He’s just a really good actor

Hate to break it to you Perchy, but Johnny boy will only be doing roles as a corpse in future.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Johnny boy will only be doing roles as a corpse in future.

Hmmm…..is this some kind of Joe Cocker ruse?

Suspicious panther is suspicious.

ratherbeintobago

He’s been immersing himself in this role for years.

Immersing himself in solid teak more like.

DezB
    Free Member

You’re right to be! 😆
    Who died then?

chakaping
    Free Member

having recently watched John Wick and JW2,

Well you went back for more.

Doesn’t matter if you think he’s a proper actor, he’s a movie star.

hols2
    Free Member
    uselesshippy
    Free Member

Come on, in-between the shit, reeves has done a couple of great films. The same with cage, leaving last Vegas for example. Now Tom cruise…..

oikeith

I don’t mind Keanu but the 1st John Wick, but christ that story line was weak! I cant believe they made a sequel!

Cougar

He’s up there with Nic Cage in terms of acting prowess.

To be fair, Cage does have two characters; there’s regular Cage and batshit-crazy Cage.

Houns

Don’t mind him, he does a lot for charity

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Is Keanu Reeves an actor??’ is closed to new replies.