Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Is it OK to find camp behaviour a bit annoying?
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why didn’t you??

I don’t think anyone expected the guard to leave them off the train as he stepped back on and the doors closed – there were some comments from other people on the train.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Going off on a slight tangent ..but taking the title of the thread as written I do find camp behaviour in general annoying ..and I’m sure that’s not confined to just myself ..

The recent MoneySuperMarket tv advertising campaigns for example piss me off so much that I would never use their services…

mattyfez

Yep, sometimes it’s just general attention seeking, I’ve a friend who’s not camp at all but after a few drinks has to be the center of attention, being very loud, interrupting etc. It gets quite tiresome.

project
    Free Member

Some people are quite annoying, especially those on forums asking if its ok for them to be annoyed at somebody they find quite annoying.

Next time i meet a camp guy ill ask them if they find normal speaking  people annoying.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

So Project……..

Are you saying being Camp isn’t “Normal?”

wilburt
    Free Member

The presumption that being a liberal lefty means you cant critise minorities even when they are clearly idiots is part of the reason we have ended up with a goverment full of shit ****.

project
    Free Member

Whats normal to one person is not always normal to another, eg meat eaters and vegetarians, both see their life style as normal.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Just to confirm……….. “Normal is NOT Camp,  right?”  Because that what you just said.

squirrelking
    Free Member

No it’s not “normal” but that’s not to suggest it’s abnormal as you seem to be suggesting. Just as owning a fat bike, having purple hair or drinking cava from a pint glass isn’t normal.

Just because something goes against the norms of the society you find it in does not make it abnormal.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Some folks just look for an argument….

rene59
    Free Member

No they don’t.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Hi Squirrelking……

Good of you to stick up for Project.

So what you are saying is that Project didnt just divide society into those who are “Camp” and those who are “Normal?”

Do you take the same stance as Project and can you actually define what “Normal” is?  It would be good to know.

project
    Free Member

Every one of us believes we are normal,  to others some of our behaviour may be seen as abnormal, eg wearing lycra shorts, riding a bike, being a vegetarian, being nice to every one even idiots,who just want an argument about being normal or normal to be camp.

Many comedians made a good living out of being camp, Larry Grayson, etc etc, they made people laugh, they nmade people think, they didnt offend most, they entertained.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you take the same stance as Project and can you actually define what “Normal” is?  It would be good to know.

Overrated?

Something not worth bothering about?

Statistically normal could be considered the mean of humanity, which probably translates to nothing more than a dull average nothing.

Given the choice between spending my time with people who want to be normal or people who want to live I know where I’d rather be

AdamW
    Free Member

Normal?

Nah, just common.

I’m with Project on this.  Most camp men I know are rarely lecherous and are usually quite funny.  I don’t care about whether someone is camp or not.  I just care if they are a nice person.  Diversity is a great thing.

wilburt
    Free Member

I am not normal

hugo
    Free Member

Next time i meet a camp guy ill ask them if they find normal speaking people annoying.

Point missed entirely.

It’s not because someone is camp it’s because a part of the personality has been fakely exaggerated for attention seeking purposes.

The same would apply to a feminine sounding woman putting on a baby voice or a guy grunting around pretending to be the Terminator with sunglasses indoors and a t-shirt 3 sizes too small.

If you asked an uber camp person whether they found someone normal (your words) annoying then they probably wouldn’t. That’s human nature’s way of helping people get along and managing behaviour. The same goes for all sorts of unpopular personality characteristics.

nickhit3
    Free Member

There’s a nice bit about this very issue on in the second series of Extras, if anyone remembers. The outtakes alone are worth a search.

DezB
    Free Member

Wondering what the OP would do if the consensus was that it’s not ok to find it annoying. Stop finding it annoying?

Birch himself?

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>

</p><p>So what you are saying is that Project didnt just divide society into those who are “Camp” and those who are “Normal?”</p><p>Do you take the same stance as Project and can you actually define what “Normal” is?  It would be good to know.</p><p></p><p>Since you missed it the first time:</p><p>

No it’s not “normal” but that’s not to suggest it’s abnormal as you seem to be suggesting. Just as owning a fat bike, having purple hair or drinking cava from a pint glass isn’t normal.

</p><p>As in, it goes against societal norms, it is different therefore not normal. YOU are the one trying to put a negative spin on this by using it as a prejoritive, nobody else. Give the victim complex a rest, I have plenty of friends and I myself do things that are not considered normal and I’m quite okay with that. If you want a petty common room argument then you’re barking up the wrong tree.</p>

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Your post text certainly ain’t normal squirrelking

convert

Wondering what the OP would do if the consensus was that it’s not ok to find it annoying. Stop finding it annoying?

Birch himself?

Like every other day? Nah, I’d choose to do something I don’t like.

Don’t know to be honest. Evaluate if I am really not homophobic I guess.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that ultra camp(to be defined as affected for attention rather than just normal levels of campness which is absolutely fine) is annoying to many people, straight and gay alike so I can feel free to be a curmudgeon.

However, imagine you were employing a PA and the perfect candidate was interviewed but you found his persistent ultra camp routine annoying as hell, were going to have to work together 40 hours a week and knew he would drive you up the wall and stated as such in your reasons for not offering the position*. I’m guessing unless the successful candidate was also gay you would be on a sticky wicket as ‘ultra camp’ is an behaviour  exclusive to a protected characteristic group (though only a small percentage of gay men ‘use’ it).

*which you clearly would not do as no one in the history of job interview feedback has ever been truthful.

DezB
    Free Member

you would be on a sticky wicket

Good choice of phrase 😀

convert

I had to delete ‘get the arse’ and replace with ‘be a curmudgeon’ – my phraseology isn’t working today!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Is it OK to find camp behaviour a bit annoying?’ is closed to new replies.