Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Is Elon Musk Manipulating the Stock Market (again)?
  • Daffy

Quietly acquires shares at $33 then waits until news brakes about it, causing a bump to over $49, then offers offers (but not legalistically) to buy Twitter for $54 a share when the current price is $43, again causing a spike, but laying the groundwork for a selloff at a high if he’s turned down…

Drac

Elon doing something dodgy with stocks?

Of course he is.

supernova

I’d like to see how quickly Twitter descends into chaos if he was in charge.
    He’s being sued by shareholders for not informing the relevant authorities that he’d acquired more than 5%.

martinhutch

I’m not sure we have enough Musk-lovers on here to spark a proper argument.

andybrad

yup

footflaps

Quietly acquires shares at $33 then waits until news brakes about it, causing a bump to over $49, then offers offers (but not legalistically) to buy Twitter for $54 a share when the current price is $43, again causing a spike, but laying the groundwork for a selloff at a high if he’s turned down…

Not that unusual, a 50% premium for a hostile bid obs bumps up the share price temporarily and if the bid fails, the share price normally falls back.

I hope he fails purely to keep Trump off Twitter…..

IHN

Sociopaths gonna sociopath…

Daffy

I like Trump being on Twitter. It makes it easier to call him out as an idiot when the worlds tumble from his own mind, directly on to Twitter. He also, through his tweets, draws out all those strange folk who support him, making them easy to identify, too!

footflaps

Twitter. It makes it easier to call him out as an idiot when the worlds tumble from his own mind, directly on to Twitter

That’s just preaching to one choir, the other choir (Trump fans) don’t care and as we have seen he’s quite capable of creating civil unrest, so for the sake of humanity it’s best he’s silenced.

nickc

Sociopaths gonna sociopath…

is my view also

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure most people buy low sell high.
    Everything he does with regards to stocks will probably be seen as manipulation even when it isn’t.

finbar
    Free Member

I’m no Elon fanboi, but I’m not sure manipulating the twitter stock price necessarily marks someone as a sociopath.

Shameless greedy capitalist, sure…

nickc

but I’m not sure manipulating the twitter stock price necessarily marks someone as a sociopath.

It’s just a continuum of his behaviour is all.

pk13

It’s normal for him I don’t understand why he is chasing pennys thou.
    Pennys if you’re stinking rich that is. Ego mostly I suspect

sirromj

Guess you don’t frequent crypto channels on telegram then 🤣

argee

It’s normal for him I don’t understand why he is chasing pennys thou.
    Pennys if you’re stinking rich that is. Ego mostly I suspect

I don’t think he’s in it for money, he seems to work on another level to capitalism, none of the other super rich billionaires seem to be in the same mindset, you can see a few of them don’t like the guy or what he does, personally i haven’t a clue what he’s about!

Wonder what he wants with Twitter, seems a bit of a weird one for a guy like that.

scotroutes

If we get an Edit button, I’ll be happy.

Superficial
    Free Member

I bought a few Twitter shares months ago, and they’ve just slid since! So if anything manipulates the price upwards, perhaps I can break even. Don’t fancy my chances, though.

Twitter is somehow a fairly poorly-performing company, despite its huge reach. It’s well overdue a shakeup, whether that’s by Elon or someone else.

Daffy

sharkbait
    Free Member

Most people don’t have the ability to dramatically alter the stock price by talking about it after they’ve bought it and before they chose to get out.

He bought ~75 million shares at $33 a share. If he can manipulate it and sell at the value he defined ($54), he’ll make over $1.5bn! In cash! With a purchase and a tweet.

dyna-ti

Shameless greedy capitalist

Isn’t that the point of capitalism ? 😆

mefty
    Free Member

Most people don’t have the ability to dramatically alter the stock price by talking about it after they’ve bought it and before they chose to get out.

He can’t chhose to get out if he has made a bid, he is bound by its terms. Failing to disclose a stake within the time limit is likely to cost him though.

lamp
    Free Member

It’s a way to manipulate the board members.

Like him or loath him, Elon is bloody effective!

ChrisL

mefty Free Member
    He can’t chhose to get out if he has made a bid, he is bound by its terms. Failing to disclose a stake within the time limit is likely to cost him though.

From the above it looks like he hasn’t made a formal offer yet, he’s just said he has. He’s also threatened that if he doesn’t get his way he’ll sell off his ~10% stake, which would presumably tank the stock price.

thegreatape
    Free Member

He still owes Spectre hundreds of millions of dollars after losing that game of poker.

chewkw
    Free Member

The world richest person with wealth of more than US200 billions!
    Always wonder how they spend the money …

damascus
    Free Member

I’m not sure we have enough Musk-lovers on here to spark a proper argument.

This will convince em!

thols2

DrJ

As a Tesla shareholder I wish he’d shut TFU and stick to making cars!!

dudeofdoom

I don’t think he’s in it for money, he seems to work on another level to capitalism, none of the other super rich billionaires seem to be in the same mindset, you can see a few of them don’t like the guy or what he does, personally i haven’t a clue what he’s about!

TBH I’d put him on the shelf with Steve Jobs.

I think you need them but they aren’t probably the greatest role models, they seem to have a greater vision/passion thou.

nickc

I think you need them

God no. People like Musk are a massively corrosive influence in the world.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just out of interest, why?

This is the same man who has driven EV development/acceptance worldwide and has brought the cost of orbital delivery down to a tiny fraction of what is was (and still would be if Boeing had its way).

Not everything he does is bad.

nickjb
    Free Member

As a Tesla shareholder I wish he’d shut TFU and stick to making cars!!

If they were valued like every other car manufacturer then your shares would massively drop.

boomerlives
    Free Member

has brought the cost of orbital delivery down to a tiny fraction of what is was

I think you would struggle to find anyone who really cares about that.

sharkbait
    Free Member

They should do considering its affected or everyday lives
    We could start with the Ukrainian army who are using his starlink satellites…

cookeaa

Just out of interest, why?

This is the same man who has driven EV development/acceptance worldwide and has brought the cost of orbital delivery down to a tiny fraction of what is was (and still would be if Boeing had its way).

Not everything he does is bad.

Well he took over Tesla at the right moment (aggressively pushing it’s founders out) and then drove the EV market to become and aspirational (unaffordable) marketers wet dream when we actually need them to be affordable now not in ten years.

He hoovered up government contracts to build a vanity rocket project so he can eventually escape the sweaty proles to Mars and add to the debris orbiting our planet. He ripped off the Vegas convention centre who ordered for a mass transit system and got Teslas in a tunnel.

He consistently reinvents his past and edits others efforts out of “his achievements” his “billions” are actually loans secured against his Tesla shares so he can avoid tax. He apparently treats women like shit.

And he frequently uses social media to influence his impressionable tech-bro fanboys into inflating the value of whatever bullshine he’s gotten onboard with lately… And now he’s trying to fluff the value of Twitter itself to turn a quick buck.

He’s not some later day altruistic Tony Stark, he a manipulate tech influencer standing on the shoulders of actual engineers, with a useful public persona, trying to scam money and influence before it all comes crashing down…

All IMO of course…

DrJ

If they were valued like every other car manufacturer then your shares would massively drop.

I think that’s the point – they aren’t like every other car manufacturer. They have a big head start in a technology that is changing the auto industry.

dudeofdoom

Trouble is he’s marmite, same as Jobs.

Northwind

It’s basically a problem with the stock market- it fails as soon as you have single investors with enough punch to move prices through their own actions, and who have the means to gain from it. Whether that’s hedge funds with shorts, or Elon Musk with rumours. We respond to it like it’s shocking when someone does it too blatantly but it’s inherent to the system now and the rules and occasional penalties are just a token effort, not even a bandaid. it’s not a system that gets manipulated, it’s a manipulation system.

I can’t really blame Musk for any of it, bellend that he is. At least he’s not sitting in a boardroom with billions of pounds of other people’s money planning how to use it to destroy profitable businesses

argee

He’s probably done all the negatives stated, but again, there is an aura about him that make people invest, give him time or just let him away with all the indiscretions that he does, you can see his traits, he doesn’t hide them, many times in the past Tesla could have folded, but he was give more and more slack, i don’t think they turned a (real) profit until recently, which didn’t tie in with how much it was valued.

He doesn’t really bring in a lot of old money, the likes of Warren Buffet talk against this type of business, same with Apple, but Musk survives because he has that aura and people invest, and now he has a solid foundation due to the maturity of his businesses, and you can see that with how he is looking at buying up other things, again, god knows what Twitter will bring him, the man is meant to be focused on making EV’s affordable and hitting his price point, getting to Mars, etc, Twitter isn’t going to help with any of that!

somafunk

god knows what Twitter will bring him,

He’s a spoilt little gobshite that is used to mouthing off and getting his own way so it’s only natural that he wants to control the narrative.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.