Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • is buying a diesel car a wrong choice?
  • ton

need a new car, want a new vehicle to take 2 bikes.
    found a very nice condition low mileage suitable vehicle.
    but, it is diesel.
    not really a greenie, but i think i do my bit by cycling everywhere.

good or bad?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As long as it’s a Skoda you’re fine.

bearnecessities

If you don’t decide on a car soon I’m going to bloody well buy one for you.

SaxonRider

Fine.

Unless it’s an older diesel, it’s not like it’s going to get scrapped. Which means that, until they’re pulled off the road, we might as well drive them responsibly.

At least that’s what I told myself when I bought ‘a very nice condition low mileage suitable vehicle’ just before Christmas.

mattyfez

Depends..if you do a lot of miles it could make sense, but diesels command a higher price, can be finicky if not doing a lot of miles, and will probably get taxed heavier in future.

So you need to do the maths really.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I think it would depend on your intended use. If you’re going to be pootling about town, I personally would avoid a diesel if I had the choice.

But for up and down the motorway, crack on.

ton

lol……..have you ever tried buying a car to suit a 5ft lady and a 6ft 4” gorilla?
    it is not a easy task.

v8ninety

‘Tend’ to get much better mileage than equivalent petrols (YMMliterallyV). But also kill more baby robins and children’s faces, as well as caring more and being more complicated than their petrol counterparts. Pays your money and takes your choice. I reckon for anything over 12k miles a year, they are a no brainer. Someone will be along in a minute to disagree…

Edukator
    Free Member

Depends on whether you have any respect for the health of your fellow citizens. Diesels now have particle filters that only stop the big particles and let the most dangerous fine stuff though.

France used to be the home of the diesel but new sales have just dropped below 50%. The health message is getting through, the bans on even quite recent diesel in Paris hurting pockets, and which would you honestly rather drive?

1-shed
    Free Member

Buy a Berlingo and be done with it. Fit you and your bikes. 5’1″ wife’s daily drive. Handles like a barge though.

ton

tried a berlingo multispace today……far too small
    tried a kia soul, ace driving space, crap tiny boot
    tried a skoda yeti, good allround, but too pricy

1-shed
    Free Member

Ok if the Berlingo is to small try a Mercedes estate auto and waft around that’s what I chose lovely place to be in.

vondally
    Free Member

Ton , what will be annual mileage? What is a daily trip like? Is it 2 miles or 70 miles?

parkesie
    Free Member

Skoda roomster worth a look.

mattyfez

Nvm

ton

looked at a romster….no thanks.
    mileage is a about 10k tops. some long trips though.

vondally
    Free Member

I would go petrol, the mileage does not warrant diesel, mpg on petrol is far better now, no complex dpf to mess around with nor go wrong.

Honda civic? Lots of room with the rear seats down.
    Seat Altea…Lots of room nice to drive but everything that could go wrong did…It was diesel.
    Audi 4 estate…?

CountZero

When it comes time to replace the old Octavia, I’ll probably go petrol, mainly because of low-mileage issues with DPF’s and such like, I avoid using the car for short runs as much as possible now, because of the turbo clogging up and it going into limp-mode; talk of cities like Bristol clamping down on diesels entering the city don’t help, because I drive into the centre for gigs, there being no practical public transport alternative.

allthepies
    Free Member

This, 10k mileage, get a petrol.

bear-uk
    Free Member

If its only a shopping trolley then dont bother. If its going to get used so its gets warm then all’s ok. Just drive it hard in Sports mode and it will be no bother.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member
    Edukator
    Free Member

Just drive it hard in Sports mode and it will be no bother.

Or buy a petrol and bumble around happily without being an anti-social… .

ton

How long before Leeds brings in its ban on polluting vehicles ?

about the same length of time it takes to get the super tram running…….. 😆

car wont be used for short daily driving…i cycle everywhere. it will be used to travel the length of the uk and europe, so we can cycle tour further afield.

spw3

Birmingham are going to be charging diesel drivers to enter the city. This is how it will start. I think it is time to get out of diesel engines in favour of efficient modern petrols or electric.

Unless you don’t need to drive into city centres, in which case wait a year and take your pick of cheap diesels being off-loaded by people regretting their previous choice.

falkirk-mark

I was considering buying a new car recently and have always liked/had diesels but it is becoming increasingly obvious that they are being singled out so I wouldn’t like to spend a lot of money on one ( I will probably keep mine as I don’t really need a new one). I would either buy a cheap diesel or a petrol as I think diesels could be taxed off the road in the future.

Daffy

How about a Citroen DS5? Lovely place to be, great choice of engines and fairly cheap at a year old.

vondally
    Free Member

car wont be used for short daily driving…i cycle everywhere. it will be used to travel the length of the uk and europe, so we can cycle tour further afield.

Petrol not diesel.

jet26
    Free Member

May be wrong but there seems to be lots of chatter in the press about diesel restrictions in cities and significant rises in charges for having them – can’t imagine that will happen quickly but how long you planning on keeping the car?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If they really do start banning diesels from city centres then the shit really will hit the fan . Virtually every lorry or delivery van is diesel and when did the petrol engine become environmentally friendly anyhow ?

falkirk-mark

If they really do start banning diesels from city centres then the shit really will hit the fan . Virtually every lorry or delivery van is diesel

I would imagine they would get round that by banning/ taxing private cars that were diesels to start with

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d stick to a diesel. I can’t be arsed changing plugs, points, condensers, rotor arms & distributor caps when they conk out, not to mention setting the dwell angle!

ton

Jim…….great minds old cock. purchase made, pick it up next saturday.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Jim…….great minds old cock. purchase made, pick it up next saturday.

Mint! Picking ours up on Thursday!

stumpy01

ton – Member
    lol……..have you ever tried buying a car to suit a 5ft lady and a 6ft 4” gorilla?

My in-laws are 5′ and 6′ 7″ tall.
    They have a Kia C’eed which suits them fine, is fairly well specked and been completely reliable for the 3 years they’ve had it…

Denis99
    Free Member

I recently sold our Skoda Fabia diesel.

Simply not driving enough miles, if you are driving say 15,000 per year, then not too bad a choice (ignoring the impact on the environment).

Nearly bought a petrol engined car with a proper cam chain, to stop all the issues around dpf, DMF etc.

Electric car fits the bill for us, but won’t suit everyone if their driving habits require frequent charging etc.

Wouldn’t entertain a diesel engined car again, mainly on environmental issues.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve just changed my car and bought another diesel, I do 20k + a year so had to be diesel really as mpg was top of my priorities.

I always buy older ones as they’re more reliable with none of that Dpf rubbish to go wrong, not really a fan of cars built in the last 10 years as nearly everything is a potentially big garage bill as nothing is built to last anymore.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I do 20k miles a year but it’s all twisty country lanes. My current Ford Kuga diesel has already cost me £800+ in DPF issues. Mileage alone is not the only thing you need to consider- it’s the nature of the journey. If you’re on motorway for at least 30mins a month at constant 2k rpm then diesel is ok.

Seriously considering a petrol Kuga as my next car (yes I need a big car, the clue is in the username)

Daffy

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    I’d stick to a diesel. I can’t be arsed changing plugs, points, condensers, rotor arms & distributor caps when they conk out, not to mention setting the dwell angle

I’m hoping this was tongue in cheek as other than the plugs, none of these are present in a modern car.

Kryton57

I do 20k miles a year but it’s all twisty country lanes. My current Ford Kuga diesel has already cost me £800+ in DPF issues. Mileage alone is not the only thing you need to consider- it’s the nature of the journey. If you’re on motorway for at least 30mins a month at constant 2k rpm then diesel is ok.

Maybe luck of the draw but approaching 10 years of school runs with once a month m/way and no issues here with our Kuga.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Adblue yet. Don’t all new diesels with Euro6 engines use Adblue? The recent reports regarding diesel cars producing more pollution than buses and wagons is because buses and wagons have been using Adblue for sometime. Any Adblue experts on here know how effective it is?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘is buying a diesel car a wrong choice?’ is closed to new replies.