Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is a turbo with no resistance the same as rollers?
  • DickBarton

In terms of pedalling? Obviously the bike is static compared to rollers which is actually riding a bike, but rollers don’t have any resistance on them, so would a turbo with no resistance (wheel not on the roller bit) be similar?

kilo

No because the rollers turn the front wheel via a band to give some resistance

DickBarton

Ok, thanks…I’d best get an old tyre on the bike then!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What kilo said, rollers have some resistance, enough for steady state stuff, maybe 400-500W where a turbo might absorb 1500-2500W in a sprint.

With more expensive rollers you can buy extra sets of drums, smaller diameters add more resistance as they have to spin faster.

chilled76
    Free Member

What kilo said, rollers have some resistance, enough for steady state stuff, maybe 400-500W

Lol I can’t push 500 watts for more then about 3 minutes and my ftp is a respectable 330w.

More like about 60-100 from rollers

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

What kilo said, rollers have some resistance, enough for steady state stuff, maybe 400-500W where a turbo might absorb 1500-2500W in a sprint.

😯

MrPottatoHead

More like about 60-100 from rollers

Mine probably feel closer to 250-300 pushing a big gear at a sensible cadence. I’d agree with about 500 watts if sprinting, but probably need to get to about 150rpm plus.

The band isn’t there for resistance is for stability other wise the front wheel is static and you can’t steer to keep upright. Resistance is from the drums themselves.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

FWIW my current rollers (plastic drum things) top out at about 300-350 watts (53×12, 150 rpm).
    But I can pick the whole assembly up and walk around with it.)
    The previous ones I had (pretty much solid aluminium ones) would go to far more. I couldn’t actually get to 53×12, 150rpm without a full on stand up effort, which i wasn’t good enough at rollers to do. (They also weighed as much as a small planet, well 40-50 kilos, big steel frame…….)

Ironically enough, I am now good enough top do the whole stand up efforts. But can’t justify spending that much on rollers. If they even make them anymore. (It’s probably 25 years since I last saw a set)

And the resistance is hugely dependant on tyre pressure. Just going from 7 bar to 6 is enough to up the resistance noticeably.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is a turbo with no resistance the same as rollers?’ is closed to new replies.