Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is a trailgater the only solution?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

to towing a little uns bike with her on it?

ads678

There is another one that bolts to the rear wheel dropouts I think but it costs a fortune and looks massive. Can’t remember what it’s called, but there’s been pictures of people using one on here at some point.

Trailgator works well if you crank all the bolts up super tight. IMO anyway.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

question 2 – does anyone have one spare??

sugdenr
    Free Member

Yes but very heavy and I am in surrey

philtricklebank

Bear in mind that if doing anything other than fire road you will wear them out. The bolt where the bar fits onto the child’s bike wears the hole on the child bike’s bracket into an oval, so you get the bike leaning at an angle.

That said, they can be had new for £45 on ebay. I got thru 2 in 2 years, still cheaper than the really robust model that fixes to the rear axle, that I alao can’t remember the name of. Review in CTC’s Cycle magazine a while back.

Tracey

Where are you based Rob, any where near South Yorkshire

pinetree
    Free Member

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/brands/followme/followme/

These are a bit pricey, but very good.

eskay

I am in Bristol and have one for sale but pick-up only as it is heavy.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

How far are you towing them?
    If its a long way, I’d plump for a proper tag-along as they’re much more secure. We use the trailgator to get up big hills, then ride seperately when we’re at the top. Small hills, its just too much faff to put it back on and off again.

eskay

I mainlu used mine for Centre Parcs and the odd cycle track ride until my youngest could pedal himslef.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tracey – just soouth of sheffield in’t peak

Tracey

Will look tonight

simonm
    Free Member

Rob, we need to do the same. What are you thinking ? Is Trailgator any good ?

mugsys_m8

Can reccomend the follow me tandem. It weighs a tonne, it’s relatively expensive it has a few manufacturing inaccuracies but it’s way more sturdier than a trail gator.

Having said that we use ours mainly for family touring i.e. 3 weeks in Denmark camping last year and planning the same this year

rob-jackson
    Free Member

si – its ok – she just needs to get used to it

lister

How far are you going? Hazel is 4.5 and I push her up hills with one hand. She’s able to pedal most of the time, but I can let her freewheel is it’s not too steep.
    I shoved her round lots of Grizedale, she probably did about 8 miles in total.

I haven’t heard many good stories of trailgators…lots of damage to bikes and awkward angles for the little bike.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Has anyone ever tried a Weehoo I-go?

rewski
    Free Member

I don’t think trailgaters help kids balance, they tend to lean over, I use the trek trailer and I’ve used one of those long bungees that you use on kayak paddles, tie around the seatpost and middle of there bars, works a treat once you’ve mastered it. We use it when the climbs got a bit tough.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is a trailgater the only solution?’ is closed to new replies.