Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is a dirt/street jump bike suitable as a boy youths bike?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a MTB for tall 10yo boy. Would a Dirt/jump/street type bike be ok? something like this:

The smallest frame they do is 14″ with 26″ wheels weighs about 16kg. Is this a stupid idea?, or anyone done it for their kid?.
    Reason for thinking along these lines is there seem to be a lot of cheap slight seconds around.

ianv
    Free Member

Jump bikes are quite long, might be a bit big for a 10yr old. If it fits though, way better choice than an isla bike.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Have a search, I asked a similar thing a month or so ago. I ended up buying a used and cheap identiti Dr Jekyll. If my boy gets on with it I’ll get him a better xs xc frame. But for now all I’m in for is 40quid.

br
    Free Member

Did the same. A Dr Jekyll, but as it’s an alloy frame, weighs nothing near 16kg, and I built it up with a load of spares plus 24″ wheels (now on 26″ as he’s grown).

MoreCashThanDash

Just bought my 10 year old a decathlon 5.1 in xs, basic but works.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I hadn’t really considered TT length, other than expecting to use short stem and have some 11degree backsweep bars.
    I was expecting everyone to say the cranks would be too long?

I followed an Identiti Krisis on ebay, it went for £188 and looked superb. The Dr Jek looks good

Trekster

Would a Dirt/jump/street type bike be ok?

If that is what he wants = Yes…..
    My son went from racing bmx to mtb but was more interested in his ice hockey and rowing at that time/age.

eshershore
    Free Member

can highly recommend the Dr. Jekyll

I had one as a “freeride” play bike when getting back into mountain biking and thoroughly enjoyed it

my missus also had one in bright pink, and she loved that bike too 🙂

Neil-F
    Free Member

I built one for my 12yo lad a couple of years ago, using parts from my old HT and an Ebay £40 frame. Great bike, he still uses it and it weighs 13.5kg. The frame is 14″ Wheels 26″.
    Really depends how tall we’re talking, but my boy was 4’11” according to the mark on his door! 😆

Neil-F
    Free Member

yeah, I know…. .weeds n that…… 😕

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is a dirt/street jump bike suitable as a boy youths bike?’ is closed to new replies.