Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is 22.5id rim wide enough for 2.3-2.4 for general xc gnarr
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

Hi all,

after navigating fork offset, 11/12 speed and all the other seeming endless standards these days for my new build im onto wheels. Ive been happily running around on a shimano wheelset with 17mm id for years generally running 2.2 – 2.35 tyres for southdowns long days and the odd trip to wales and the odd trail centre. Im thinking on my new build (orange clockwork evo 27.5 with 130mm rebas) that i might run 2.3 out back and maybe go up to a 2.4 on the front. Ive found a a good deal on some dt 350’s with xm401 rims. Apparently i should now be running around on 30mm id wheels. Any opinions if these are going to be wide enough for a 2.4??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I ran 2.3 contis on xc717 runs for years, they’ll be slightly rounder, but fine.

Dickyboy

17mm to 22.5mm will see a noticeable reduction in tyre roll 👍

beanieripper
    Free Member

Nice, in an ideal world i think i would go for 25-27mm. Any better deals around than £320 for 240sp hubs with microspline freehub dt spokes and dt rims? seems like a good deal to me…

devash
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. As others have said above, we all ran mid-width tyres on 17mm-19mm rims for many years before wider rims became a thing. I’d personally stick to 2.25-2.3 tyres on 22.5mm internals though.

I paid £450 for a set of DT Swiss XM1501 Spline wheels earlier last year (240sp hubs, DT spokes and 25mm internal rims) so sounds like quite a bargain you’ve found there. I’d pull the trigger, DT factory wheels are awesome. I use mine for general riding (XC, trails).

One thing to note is that if you want to go wider in the future you can get those hubs rebuilt with wider DT rims, or any other rim you may fancy, so don’t feel that you are stuck with that particular width. A pair of 240 hubs alone would cost you £400ish usually.

steve_b77
    Free Member

. Any better deals around than £320 for 240sp hubs with microspline freehub dt spokes and dt rims

That is quite literally dirt cheap, where are they from?

Also up to 25mm is absolutely fine for XC and a bit more

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Back in the days of 26 inch tyres, the original Stan’s ztr flow has a 22.6 I’d and was considered damn wide at the time.

I had a set, and came from Mavic F519s with a massive 19mm. Even then there was a difference. You’ll be fine, but I not go bigger than 2.3, infact, I’d be uncomfortable with schwalbe 2.35s, but they’re on the big side anyway.

faustus

You’ll be fine with that. Yes it’ll be a bit different to having 25 or 30mm rims, but not bad or undesirable. The ideal tyre pressure range will be different to wider rims, but you’ll find it and adapt quick enough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is 22.5id rim wide enough for 2.3-2.4 for general xc gnarr’ is closed to new replies.