Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Irrational cycling hatred
  • mooman
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>tomhoward
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Oh well if you ride on the road… there’s no dangers there. Nothing ever fails on road bikes and cars are so advanced now they can’t hit you.

</div>

You crack on flower.

</div>
    Theres plenty of dangers on the road, and experience will help you identify them – and hopefully avoid them. But until then – I suggest you keep wearing the helmet Newb.

oldnpastit

Anyone with a bike on their roof – you should have bought a van.

That would be stupid. Most of the time I don’t need that much space. You’re saying I should spend cash on a van (+insurance, MOT, etc) for something I might only use one or two times a year?

Vans with bike racks on the back – you bought the wrong van.

Or maybe most of the time the smaller van would be fine, but you’re now insisting I should buy a vehicle far larger than I need, and pollute the environment with even more diesel fumes than necessary? Basically you would rather kill children with PM10s than use a bike rack.

Singlespeed/no suspension/ similar weird crap – stop being an attention seeker.

Rigid/Single speed is perfect for riding in the Winter in Cambridgeshire. Unless you’re made of money of course, in which case you can just buy a new bike after each ride. Sadly I’m not in that position. Well done you though that you have enough wealth that you can do that. Are you a Russian Oligarch?

Anyone in lycra – I dont think thats irrational though.

Lycra is comfortable, dries quickly, doesn’t get too hot. Why do I have to make myself be hot and sweaty just to conform to some idea of fashion in your head?

psling
    Free Member

[irony alert] People  on a cycling forum attempting to rationalise other people’s irrational cycling hatreds on a thread about irrational cycling hatreds. Is it rational to try and rationalise on a thread about irrational things something that someone finds irrational? [/irony alert]

sirromj

Cyclists who clear their nose whilst riding in a group

What about while out in the woods on a group ride and we’re all stopped, possibly some people eating chew bars, and using a stick to inspect it?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

People who tell you your bike setup is wrong when it’s comfortable/works for you and you’ve just rinsed their best strava time.

hols2
    Free Member

People who tell you your bike setup is wrong when it’s comfortable/works for you and you’ve just rinsed their best strava time.

Yeah, I hate that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why is it anyone who’s seen a crash is subsequently an expert on helmets and how they prevented a life changing injury?

Try reading up on the subject, even the pro-helmet cycling.org is informative .

hols2
    Free Member

I hate seeing athletes of any persuasion with long hair. Noting against long hair generally if you just want to look pretty, but I keep my hair cropped really short because I hate it getting sweaty when I exercise, I just can’t stand having a head covered in a big messy mop of sweat. Every time I see an athlete with long hair, I have to ask myself how hard can they really be trying if they have all that hair.

willmoore
    Free Member

Cyclists who have an opinion on what other cyclists should do/wear/think – as Charlie the bikemonger says ‘shut up and ride your bloody bike’  🙂

bigyim
    Free Member

E bikes being used by fit healthy individuals.

kerley
    Free Member

Singlespeed/no suspension/ similar weird crap – stop being an attention seeker.

As I ride a fixed gear, rigid bike with no brakes I must be a real attention seeker then.  If only anyone actually noticed me on my typical rides at 07:30 in the morning when no-one is about…

angeldust
    Free Member

I wish I was so awesome that I could read all possible road conditions well enough to guarantee not being hit by all those things that any sane person knows that they can’t possible predict.  Unless you can see the future you are taking an unnecessary risk not wearing a helmet.  Nothing to do with how good a rider you are.  If an out of control car barrels up behind you out of nowhere at 100 mph, do you think any rider has good enough skills to avoid an accident?

alexpalacefan

I don’t think a helmet will help much at 100mph!

APF

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When your perfectly plotted “Gnarmac route of quiet lanes and trails” keeps overlapping with the “Charity Ride of Nodders” out enjoying themselves!

So much traffic! 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone with a bike on their roof – you should have bought a van.

Vans with bike racks on the back – you bought the wrong van.

</div>

People who post rationalised comments on a thread about irrational hatred, missing the point on two counts (irony noted).

And you could make the same comment on vans, you’ve bought an impractical gas guzzling barge of a vehicle, when the reality is you could have bought a much nicer car for far less money and put a rack on it.

rene59
    Free Member

Roadies riding in groups all hunched over faces inches away from other riders sweaty arses.

matt_outandabout

Every time I see an athlete with long hair, I have to ask myself how hard can they really be trying if they have all that hair.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Look at this long haired slacker.

mooman
    Free Member

Angeldust – that was a priceless reply … please tell me it was intentional 😂😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Can we all agree…… a rule…….EVERY thread no matter the subject has a Jess E-H picture.

hols2
    Free Member

Look at this long haired slacker.

That’s exactly what I mean. How can she exercise properly with all that bloody hair getting sweaty and tangled. Disgusting.

40mpg

Fatbikers.

I mean, other fatbikers. This is my niche, stop diluting it, bugger off.

DenDennis
    Free Member

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Carbon framed road bike with a brooks saddle. Why?</span>

I’ve got a nice carbon road bike with a pretty tired looking Charge Spoon saddle on it because the OEM saddle broke and that was what I had in the shed, and I haven’t had time to buy a nicer replacement. Go on, hate me.

Oh no you miss the point, matey. Have just googled the spoon saddle and I’d have no issues with that, my snobbishness is to do with the retro/high tech clash…

AdamT

With my Octavia and a fork mount Thule carrier, if the carrier was facing forward, the back of the carrier would foul with the tailgate when opened.  The bars were in fixed positions and the carrier couldn’t be moved fore/aft, so mounting backwards meant you could get into the boot. I never liked the look of it, but that’s my defence for running it backwards. HTH

RustySpanner

Hmmm……..

Black anodised anything. Ugly. Decreases  the sum total of human happiness.

Brown anything, especially plastic  bar tape. See above Utterly repulsive.

I think that’s about it on the hate front.

mintimperial

Boring coloured bikes. All black, all white: BORING. Bikes are fun and should be interesting colours!

Those little hairy-wormy things you get hanging off the knobbles on new MTB tyres. Really annoying for some reason, but you can’t pick them off, that’s cheating, you need to wear them off by riding. The last one on my current front tyre lasted for bloody ages, but it came off at some point in the middle of the Glentress 7 yesterday which was very pleasing when I noticed.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

People posting on MTB forums that get their jollies from killing things with guns

Poopscoop

I hate a few things, even people but nothing about cycling elicits that emotion I’m glad to say. Rational or otherwise.

Apart from a new axle standard obvs.

bigrich

fat, slow men on very expensive bikes.

eat less, ride more.

akira

Steerer extenders, I know some people want a nice high comfy position but when I see bars 10 feet up in the air it makes me cringe a little. But then I realise it’s someone put cycling and get on with my day.

singletrackmind

People pushing road bikes up a hill 20 miles into a 100mile Wiggle ride.

Boy you are going to suffer  in the last 1/3 if you cannot ride up this hill with fresh legs.

Road bikes  with MTB  mudguards. NO. buy real road bikes ones , not one that looks like its off a 1986 Raleigh Burner

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bromptons. Never ridden one but they offend me with their stupid little wheels and stupid long seatpost. You did say irrational…

If I commuted by train I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

franksinatra

Can we all agree…… a rule…….EVERY thread no matter the subject has a Jess E-H picture.

Awesome idea. She is fabulous

My hatred is when people call a video or film and Edit. It irritates me more than it should, I certainly refuse to watch it.

davosaurusrex

Hang on, I’m fit and healthy and bought an ebike just to get more descending in! But then I highsided off it head first into a tree last week and fractured a vertebrae in my neck! Now it will be a useful recovery tool! I also broke my new Troy Lee A2! In A&E they said well done for wearing it because otherwise I might not be here! It’s ok though because I have another mtb lid with a light on it for night riding! And a separate road lid!

So does everyone hate me or not? I’m so confused.

Do I win £5?

funkmasterp

Bromptons. Never ridden one but they offend me with their stupid little wheels and stupid long seatpost. You did say irrational…

I was just about to post exactly this. They really are a great idea for commuters, but for some reason I hate the things. They just look bloody ridiculous.

stevemtb
    Free Member

And you could make the same comment on vans, you’ve bought an impractical gas guzzling barge of a vehicle, when the reality is you could have bought a much nicer car for far less money and put a rack on it.

Or a much, much better bike and cycled everywhere you need to go…

LAT

Do mountain bike forums in other countries have threads like this? They seem to appear fairly often on stw. If you are going to be angry about something, at least be angry with someone who didn’t get the service they expected in a shop. That’s what really boils my piss.

Who cares what way a bike is facing on a roof rack? Why should someone buy a van rather than a bike rack? Perhaps they don’t want a van. Why do I care that people care? I don’t, I just think it is odd.

mooman
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Icondavosaurusrex
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

Hang on, I’m fit and healthy and bought an ebike just to get more descending in! But then I highsided off it head first into a tree last week and fractured a vertebrae in my neck! Now it will be a useful recovery tool! I also broke my new Troy Lee A2! In A&E they said well done for wearing it because otherwise I might not be here! It’s ok though because I have another mtb lid with a light on it for night riding! And a separate road lid!

So does everyone hate me or not? I’m so confused.

Do I win £5?

</div>
    …………………………………..

No.

Any other questions?

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Irrational cycling hatred’ is closed to new replies.