• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ipswich anyone?
  • sadexpunk

MIL is in rehab down there for a month, its about a 3 hour drive for us (Lincoln).

Wife wants to go visit her, doesnt want to drive on her own, the train is too expensive, too long and too many changes, so looking at whether we can make something of the journey if i drive her down.

is it a decent place to visit for a day at the weekend, maybe stay over? if so, any recommendations for digs? travelodge? airbnb? something else?

any nice places to visit, pubs, restaurants, sunny places to sit and people watch?

also any decent places to break up the journey? im looking at the map now seeing kings lyn (unlikely), downham market (possible), thetford (she doesnt have a bike), so looking for suggestions.

must admit ipswich has never been on my radar……

thank you.

siwhite
    Free Member

You are two months too early! We are moving there this summer and could have offered a bed for the night… Not very helpful I’m afraid!

MoreCashThanDash

If you are quick, you might see some Championship football.

matt_outandabout

3 hour drive – just drive, no break.

Nicer places nearby to stay, like Woodbridge.

flange
    Free Member

I know the Lincoln to Ipswich drive well, having family in wragby and growing up near Ipswich.

If you’re in a rush, a1/a14 – if you fancy a slower drive the route I used was via kings lynn and Boston then back through horncastle via conningsby. Time wise there isn’t much in it. On the back route, thetford is about the only place I’d stop off at, although langrick cafe on the conningsby straight is good for a decent fry up. It’s all pretty flat though!

Ipswich itself isn’t great these days – I’d either stay in one of the smaller villages like Lavenham or Hintlesham or go the other way towards Southwold- quite a few nice villages along the old a12 towards Yarmouth. If you don’t have to be local Ravenwood hall just outside Bury St Edmunds is lovely and the food is ace.

fozzie
    Free Member

The food is great, and so is the Shotley Peninsula (I work nearby).

dissonance

Not the greatest place in the world and a bit of an arse to get to like most of East Anglia. Both the train and road networks are crap unless you are heading straight out of London and even then its dubious.
    Maybe Grimes Graves or Sutton Hoo (although thats practically there).
    Possibly head out a few miles to Constable country (just dont believe them when they say its all in Suffolk and not Essex).
    Henny Swan wasnt a bad pub and shouldnt be too crowded this time of year. On the Estuary and nice for a bimble around.
    There is Jimmys Farm which was okay last time I went for some food.

fozzie
    Free Member

My link to details of The Red Lion at Chelmondistion appears to have been deleted. If the link is not allowed, you may like to google it.

garage-dweller

Woodbridge not Ipswich! Stay in Woodbridge (or nearby villages) or on the Shotley peninsula.

If you go for Woodbridge, you can walk mostly along the river Deben from Ufford or Melton via the Tide Mill to Martlesham Creek and beyond or as much of it as you feel like. If you do go for a walk along the river then the Tea Hut by the model yacht pond (behind the river wall by Deben Yacht Club) is lovely. Further out Tunstall and Rendlesham Forests, Orford or Snape.

Cherry Tree (Cumberland St/Station Rd) pub does nice food.

On Shotley peninsula there’s some lovely walking along the side of the Orwell and at Chelmomdiston there’s Pin Mill pub and Red Lion for food and beer.

I’d say those are two good bets for easy access to Ipswich (depending on exactly where mil is).

sadexpunk

thank you very much everyone, much appreciated.

btw, its felixstowe rd, so looks SE Ipswich.

swdan
    Free Member

Woodbridge to Felixstowe road is pretty easy. Head down the A12 to the Seven Hills junction with the A14, straight over and you’re on Felixstowe Road. Depends where you are but at the right time of day it’ll be pretty quick. Generally the main raids are ok out that way, it’s when you have to get off the 2 lane dual carriageways things slow up.
    Shotley peninsula is a bit more difficult as you’ll have to head back in towards Ipswich then either turn off to get back on the A14 to bypass it and get round or head through the middle. Heading through town can get slow and they appear to have done everything possible to make driving in town difficult but without improving other modes of transport. However, traffic is all relative, my parents and sister moan about it, I do t think it’s “that” bad but then I moved to London

Sandwich

Chez Sandwich has a spare bed and we’re close to Felixstowe Road too. You may want to swerve us though if you don’t like slightly pushy large dogs.

If you want serviceable commercial lodgings The Holiday Inn at Europark is an ok place to put your head and there’s chain eateries close by. There’s also a Travel Lodge and Premier Inn by the old dock area (Travel Lodge will be quieter the Premier is surrounded by one way system).

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Bury St Edmonds is quite nice, the cathedral and it’s grounds.
    Don’t waste your time with Jimmys farm

fozzie
    Free Member

As swdan as said, access to and from the A14 to the Shotley Peninsular can be held up by the traffic queuing to get in to Ipswich, but this is mainly morning rush hour, before 09:00. Felixstowe Road will be similar.
    The only accommodation around Shotley I know of is at the Red Lion, Chelmondiston and Shipwreck Loft at Shotley Marina. Presumably there are longer term Holiday Lets.
    The Butt and Oyster at Pin Mill can get extremely busy, Pin Mill lane, leading to it, can be solid traffic so walk if you can
    If you use the A12 to the east of Ipswich, it is handy to know that the outside lane can be used for going straight across all those roundabouts, not just for turning right.
    If you carry on eastwards along the Felixstowe Road (and A14) you get to…
    —Felixstowe.
    If seaside B&B is your thing there is a long promenade, pier, Languard Fort and adjacent museum, foot ferry across the Deben to Bawdsey and a foot/cycle ferry to Harwich (Penny Pier, RNLI, Harwich Redoubt, local museums and a crane) then on to Shotley Marina and back again.

swdan
    Free Member

My advice, if you go to Felixstowe occupy yourself with the area to the east of the pier, not much the other direction unless you slip straight to Landguard and go and watch the contrainer ships from the cafe at the view point.

On a nice day, Felixstowe can be alright and you can kill a few hours walking along the prom, having a coffee etc. That being said, I grew up in the Stowe so mainly don’t bother with any of the “attractions” when I head back any more

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Why don’t you visit the mountain biking museum at Martlesham

sadexpunk

thank you very much for all the info ladies and gents, and for the very kind offer sandwich, much appreciated.

still very much a work in progress, we dont know what we’re doing yet, but the info on here is very helpful.

cheers

bruk

Used to live in Woodbridge. Lovely place to live but its been over 15 years so any info on eating/drinking staying will be out of date.

Nice walks though the pedestrianised main street and probably still has a few nice shops/deli type places.

Nice walks along the river and the Tide mill worth a visit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ipswich anyone?’ is closed to new replies.