Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • IPhone 4 handlebar mounts – recommendations?
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

So my old bike computer/speedometer’s just died on me.

Given that I have an iPhone 4 doing a whole bunch of computing in my pocket or Camelbak, that I don’t look at till I get home, I thought that having it where I can see it during a ride would save me buying a new computer.

Anyone used or bodged any iPhone 4 handlebar mounts that they would recommend?

Ideally it would accommodate my phone plus the Mophie Juice Pack Air case that I use to extend its battery life.

Not really interested in splashing out a couple of hundred quid on a dedicated GPS that replicates most of the functions of the thing I’m already carrying on rides.

organic355
    Free Member
    mike_p
    Free Member

Mrs P is constantly going on at me to get her a bar mount for her iPhone. It’s a bloody stupid idea – why take something so fragile (you might even say “something that was designed to be broken, frequently”) and put it somewhere where it’s almost guaranteed to get wet, bashed and dropped? If you can’t stand to be without it just put it in a poly bag and stick it in your pocket.

thehustler
    Free Member

I have the Topeak waterproof pouch mount, works gr8 can be mounted on bars stem or headset depending what accessories you want or have on the stem it seems to be prOtected on all sides so use it on road and mtb, costs about £20 in halfrauds but can be had cheaper online I think

thehustler
    Free Member

Edit afraid it fits phone only though so might not suit OP

captainsideburns
    Free Member

My iPhone 4s doesn’t seem that fragile. Popped out of my handlebar mount twice while over 30 km/h bounced on across the road and got run over. 1st time no damage whatsoever, 2nd time a few tiny scratches on the glass. I have only minimal case that came with http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61041 It hasn’t come off since the 2nd time months ago, now that I keep the suction cap properly clean.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

the hustler – Member

I have the Topeak waterproof pouch mount, works gr8 can be mounted on bars stem or headset depending what accessories you want or have on the stem it seems to be prOtected on all sides so use it on road and mtb, costs about £20 in halfrauds but can be had cheaper online I think

That was the one I was looking at – does it come with a mount or do you need to buy the mount separately? Couldn’t figure that out from reading the blurb on Wiggle or CRC.

blueraven
    Free Member

I have been using a Dahon Biologic mount on my road bike for the last year. It has a touch sensitive screen so you can access the phones features without having to open the case, it isn’t cheap but it has stood up to heavy rain and has been bounced down the road a couple of times with no adverse effect to the case or phone.

Looks like you can also get an option now with an extended battery, ReeCharge

thehustler
    Free Member

Comes with a mount, but I had other options as have Topeak lights and tools

thehustler
    Free Member

Comes with a mount, but I had other options as have Topeak lights and tools, the mount supplied will work on bars or stem btw

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got the waterproof Topeak one.

Its ok on the road bike, but a bit rattly on the bumps. It comes with the handlebar mount yes. On the MTB, i just use the case but keep it in a bag.

You can’t access any connectors for charging or headphones though.

No probs with durability.

GrahamS

*jaw drops at price of other options*

£70????

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0057FJ41Y

£28. Waterproof. Solid. Nice rubbery liner to protect from bumps. Has a good quick release. Has ports if you want to use headphones or charging. All buttons still pressable.

Not pretty but works for me.

(Not sure if it would fit a Mophie case. Might do if you “customise” the liner a bit)

cookeaa

Job done…

riiich
    Free Member

+1 for the Topeak. I tried it with the supplied handlebar mount but it flew off on the first bridleway. Now put the belt clip through a section of inner tube round the stem (would only work for square profiled stems I would think). Crash tested too (not deliberately), and it stayed attached.

If I know where I’m going, I just put it in my bag.

GrahamS

+1 for the Topeak. I tried it with the supplied handlebar mount but it flew off on the first bridleway

Worst. Recommendation. Ever! 😀

thehustler
    Free Member

By counter I use the Topeak both on and off road and it’s never come off, the rattle mentioned above is from the spring belt clip I think, never really noticed it too much so it’s something I can live with

drlex
    Free Member

+1 for Topeak Ridecase. Stem cap mount & exo-case for iPhone, plus rubberised overcover. Allows potrait & landscape, plus adjustable angle (have cranked it up all the way to film a ride).

riiich
    Free Member

Worst. Recommendation. Ever!

😆 Indeed!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘IPhone 4 handlebar mounts – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.