Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • iPhone 4 – glass cracked. Need repair – any ideas?
  • burko73

Hi

Just dropped my iPhone after finishing my ride this morning. Fell off my saddle onto my drive and broke/ cracked the glass.

It’s a 3 yr old 32g iPhone 4 and other than that it’s in pretty good nick.

Anyone had their screen replaced? It is insured through the bank type insurance but £100 excess for iPhones!

I was going to upgrade at some point and selling on but this has obviously hampered that plan.

Ironically I was going to buy a garmin edge to prevent this sort of thing from happening…

YoGrant
    Free Member

Local back street shop should do it for £40-45.

Think the sort of place that trades games, unlocks phones, sells cases.

kcal

I was quoted about £40 to replace the glass on a 4S, from a back street outfit (that have done a good job on other repairs).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lots of people offer this service, from large companies to small. There are also online guides and kits available from the web to do it yourself. I would say for the cost get it done at a reputable small shop. Whilst you are at it change the battery too. Usually a big discount for two jobs and a battery costs only £10 max.

FYI I have bought all the kits to do front/back/battery on an old iPhone4 I want as a backup. Haven’t sat down to do the job yet but I am seeing it as a hobby project and it’s an old phone anyway so don’t need it, so messing it up isn’t an issue.

EDIT: BTW you didn’t say front or back glass, it does make a difference as front has integrated touch sensor (I think). Also if you buy online look for feedback as some glass isn’t glass it’s cheap plastic especially for the back (which messes up camera lens)

@wysiwg is the man to ask

jam-bo

wsyiwyg from here did mine for about £40.

Jamie
    Free Member

I did the exact same thing on Sunday, OP. Managed to hit the only bit of gravel in a sea of grass.

Contacted wysiwyg, and he has quoted a good price.

Just deciding whether to sell the phone as is (£40-50), or pay to get it repaired and get about the same price for it once the repairs have been deducted.

…or just keep it, as it works ok, and tell people the screen got smashed when I dived in front of the president to save him from being shot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

…or just keep it and tell people the screen got smashed when I dived in front of the president to save him from being shot.

Don’t you remember, you jumped in front of the Queen and the glass was smashed as the bullet hit the phone when it was in your jacket pocket. You’ll be getting a Knighthood someday.

Jamie
    Free Member

I knew I jumped in front of someone important.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I replaced one the other day. £20 for the screen and took about an hour – not difficult but you do have to basically take the entire phone apart!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My brant powers grow ever stronger.

£37 inc return delivery if that’s any use. Next day turn around.

burko73

wysiwyg

It’s the front screen.

Where are you? Can you pm your address and details of anything else you need.

R

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I would if you had any contact details.

Drop me a mail fixerofphones@gmail.com

burko73

Doh, thought had them sorted. I’ll email you.

Burko

Ewan
    Free Member

The iFixit guide + a screen off ebay will see you write for about 20-25 quid.

I’ve done the operation twice on my iphone 4 (I’m clumsy) and once on a friends one. Suffice to say it’s straightforward-ish, but fiddily as heck and takes 30 minutes or so – if you’re not comfortable with very small screws don’t go anywhere near it. I’d def file it under PITA.

I’d take wysiwyg on his offer – i’d def pay someone the 15 quid difference over doing it myself.

neilforrow

+1 for wsyiwyg, did mine too. Recommended.

edit – bit more of a PC email now wsyiwyg! 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Neil, yes. Lol. I even have a FB page. TechrepairsNG

allfankledup

Otterbox FTW
    My iphone 4 committed some sort of hari kiri recently – despite being less than a year old.
    Took it to the apple shop, who took the phone to bits to check it, and reported no evidence of having been dropped in a bucket of water when cleaning out my van a year ago.

Saved me some grief at least.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 4 – glass cracked. Need repair – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.