Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • ipad vs ipad mini
  • mangoridebike

My wife has been awesome this year and I would like to get her an ipad as she has wanted one for ages

I’m torn between a 16Gb ipad or a 32Gb ipad mini

does the higher capacity outwiegh the larger screen size?

johndoh
    Free Member

does the higher capacity outwiegh the larger screen size?

Odd comparison – the choice depends on what she needs it for and how she’ll use it.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ipad mini + 4tb network drive.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I’d say mini if it’ll be carted out and about, air if it’ll mostly stay at home. If she’s into music or films 16GB is too small after apps and photos, I find myself having to regularly clear stuff off my 32GB iPad. The other consideration is whether to go with a data model or WiFi only. You can manage hotspotting off your mobile if out and about, although it’s slightly inconvenient turning it all on and off again to preserve the battery on both devices – sometimes I can’t be bothered.

mangoridebike

mainly used for reading documents, internet browsing and watching tv, currently she’s doing a lot of this on her phone so any increase in screen size will be a benefit

She’s had use of an ipad occasionally but neither of us have used a mini to be able to compare.

does the smaller screen size make a difference or is the more compact size a good thing?

johndoh
    Free Member

If she is constantly holding it (rather than being on her lap), then a Mini will be the better choice.

spidersexual
    Free Member

Personally if your going to get an iPad, get the standard size, not the mini.
    Plus get atleast 32gb as what has been mentioned above.

Oh and IMO , I would not pay £100 privilege just for the option of cellular.
    Oh oh and one more thing, women love to have the white coloured ones, you can thank me some other time hehe ;d

geoffj

I’ve got both and the mini is better in almost every respect. No real need for a 10″ screen IMHO.

This is a bargain* http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/apple-ipad/apple-ipad-mini-64-gb-wifi-black-19314421-pdt.html

* obviously not if you are an Apple hater

mangoridebike

Thanks for that geoffj £20 cheaper than I’d seen and twice the capacity. Ordered 🙂

cozz
    Free Member

got both, prefer the mini

only use the larger one for showing clients photos

convert

Ours is sofa surfer – large one every time.

If it was mainly for travelling/commuting etc I’d probably go for the mini.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I personally prefer the iPad for video, PDF (magazine) reading etc (no I’m not blind 😛 ) I do like the mini and think it would be ideal if you are out and about a lot.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

OP, I believe you’ve ordered an original non retina display mini. If she’s used to retina on an iPhone it can be hard to go back to non retina, which is why I went iPad at the time.

Kryton57

I committed to a (retina) mini. Its basically my portable organiser/browser/movie and facetime with the kids device because I travel about.

An Ipad would have been too unwieldy IMO.

DrJ

Got both. Use big one at home, mini for travelling. If I had to choose one I’d get the mini, because it’s quite usable at home, but the big one is a bit heavy and large for travelling.

footflaps

got both, prefer the mini

+1

Mini is a much nicer size to use.

unovolo
    Free Member

Used both including full sized retina display, prefer the mini for everyday use and don’t miss the retina display due to the smaller screen size.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’d say full size, ie Air. Currys had an offer so (linked to on stw) so maybe you can get the 32. Otherwise Apple store of John Lewis for 2yr warranty.

I like the bigger screen for email/web browsing/document reading – more is better, also with my eyesight I can read larger screen better, also as its “touch” it’s much easier to navigate pages as you are touching a larger target. Main advantage of the mini is it will go into a coat pocket and is lighter to hold although new Air is very light too. I have a “man bag” for my iPad and it goes everywhere with me. My iPad is 64 but it’s never been full, my phone is 16 and I still have 500 songs, 5 full length movies, 50 apps, tons of emails and 1500 photos – still have 3gb left so 16 goes a long way.

Finally very cool you describe your wife as being awesome this year, good for you and her !

21dwb
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a mini retina 32gb. I can’t ever imagine requiring more than 32gb to keep apps etc on then just purchase an iusbport to enable you to connect your portable hdd, usb pen drives or SD cards via an addhoc wireless network. I think I could have probably got away with the 16gb to be fair.

Mark

The mini is now outselling the full sized iPad by several factors. The reason is portability and ease of handling. You can hold a mini on one hand easily by gripping it on both edges with thumb and fingers. Sounds superficial but the biggest issue with the full sized iPad according to Apple was the hand fatigue in having to hold it with all fingers pressed against the back of it and thumb around the bezel.

The mini size is also hugely more popular with women as it fits in bags. No really!

mangoridebike

Thanks all for the additional replies to the thread

As above I went for the 64Gb Mini geoffj linked to. the small size seems great for my wife, it will fit better in hand and also in bags etc. Certainly i’ve always been surprised at the weight of a full size ipad, we’ll see if the lack of retina screen is an issue or not, I don’t think she’ll be too bothered, at least I hope not.

she’s maxed out her 16gb iphone with pictures, apps etc as the kids also use it so having a lot of space will be a good thing. She’s not especially techy so she’s better off without needing external storage.

Its been a tough year for us, we’ve both been through the wringer a bit, she has been awesome throughout it all so its nice to be able to surprise her with something she’s wanted for a long time 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Certainly i’ve always been surprised at the weight of a full size ipad, we’ll see if the lack of retina screen is an issue or not

I still use my iPad1 every day – at the time is was the latest greatest lightest thing ever, now if I pick up an Air it feel alike a brick ! All mini’s are now retina FYI so that one must be old stock and hence discounted, it will still be amazing.

geoffj

I don’t get the whole retina thing – its probably my eyes, but the standard mini screen is more than capable enough for everything I want. I’ve got an iPhone 5 with the retina display, and I just don’t see it. 8)

footflaps

I found the new Air model was much larger / heavier than I expected. I bought the retina Mini in the end and absolutely love it. My 1st Gen iPad runs really slow now and is being given to the MIL for Xmas…..

footflaps

All mini’s are now retina FYI so that one must be old stock and hence discounted, it will still be amazing.

Apple still sell the non retina Mini: http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

Clobber
    Free Member

Is the retina mini much faster than the normal mini…??

CountZero

Is the retina mini much faster than the normal mini…??

Yes. It has the 64-bit A7 processor, so pretty much desktop capability.

Kryton57

footflaps – Member
    I found the new Air model was much larger / heavier than I expected

Me too. In fact, my local Apple store had them all sunk into the tables and sealed in. I had to complain and demand to feel one. When I questioned the manager, based on the fact that its weight was the essential selling point, he didn’t have any answer other than “thats what I was told to do”.

bensales
    Free Member

Me too. In fact, my local Apple store had them all sunk into the tables and sealed in. I had to complain and demand to feel one. When I questioned the manager, based on the fact that its weight was the essential selling point, he didn’t have any answer other than “thats what I was told to do”.

The ones in the tables are intended to provide product information about the other Apple product they’re next to. Not to show off the iPad.

The iPad section will have them all loose on lanyards.

At least this is the case in the two Apple stores near me.

Kryton57

bensales they have now, they didn’t have any “loose” ones a few weeks ago, until he got one from behind the scenes.

Don’t know why.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My wife has full size and mini iPads – the mini gets used loads, the full size one has barely been out of the box.

csb

I need a tablet for skyping back home from abroad on hotel wifi. Had considered a Hudl, but fancy something a bit better. John Lewis has an ipad mini, A5, 64gb with cellular for £299.

Is that a good buy?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The A5 chip is from the previous generation of iPad Minis and have very recently been replaced by the iPad Mini with Retina display using the A7 processor. The online Apple store still sells the A5 Mini in a 16Gb model and the cellular version is £349. £299 for a 64Gb model is a good buy, but you’re not getting the latest and greatest if that kind of thing bothers you.

As a good comparison, the latest A7 Retina display Mini is £579 for a 64Gb version!

drlex
    Free Member

[…]John Lewis has an ipad mini, A5, 64gb with cellular for £299.

Is that a good buy?

Given that it includes their three-year warranty, I’d reckon it an excellent one, but then I’m posting on a wireless iPad 1…

csb

So it’ll do skyping and all the games that kids want too then?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Does anyone have experience of using the first mini V’s the newer retina ones, & if its worth buying the retina if you aren’t bothered about the screen resolution?

mav12
    Free Member

its a cracking price for thhe mini iwas looking at them myself in jl as i use the 3g. a lot, when the price for a 16gig wifi was 270 not so long ago
    dunno about skype never use it but you can use facetime if its to another apple device

mogrim

My kids have both got non-retina iPad minis this Christmas – presents from kid free uncle, not me! – and they’re great for games and Skype, resolution is perfectly adecuate for text etc.

Personally I can’t stand Apple, but they’re very happy with them 🙄

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

mogrim, is there a particular reason you hate Apple?
    I used to hate the brand to, but then I realised it was their demographic I disliked not the products themselves, now I’m fully embraced & happy as I don’t care if idiots want to pigeonhole me 😉

mogrim

mogrim, is there a particular reason you hate Apple?
    I used to hate the brand to, but then I realised it was their demographic I disliked not the products themselves, now I’m fully embraced & happy as I don’t care if idiots want to pigeonhole me

Can’t stand the shitty software, hate the keyboards, and I really hate hypocrites – the fact one of the richest companies in the world tries to sell itself as alternative / the underdog really sticks in my throat.

(edited)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘ipad vs ipad mini’ is closed to new replies.