Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • iPad etc – do I need 3G
  • Ladders
    Free Member

Been wanting to get an iPad mini for a while now. What I’m unsure about is if I should get a 3G version or not?

I’ll be using it at home and at work mostly, with the occasional time of browsing on the train etc occasionally. Do I really need a 3G version just for that? Would using the signal on my iPhone be fine and save myself £100?

Cheers!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Nooooooo! Just use your supposedly owned iPhone to use it’s 3G connection for using it via iPad.
    Simples…!

Ladders
    Free Member

Anyone bought a ‘just Wifi’ version and regretted it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone bought a ‘just Wifi’ version and regretted it?

My tablet is Wifi only and not one single regret for that choice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For a mini i could see a use for the 3g ( means you have a gps chip)

On a full size – nae need

grum
    Free Member

Depends on your mobile phone contract as to whether they will let you tether I think. I have a Wifi one and I think next time I will get 3G. I don’t regret getting this one though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

But if you already have an iphone – was reading mistys post wrong there …..

You can just use that for navigation ….

No need for 3g them

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I bought a WiFi only iPad 3 and had no probs tethering it to my s2 and data came out of the phones allowance – I’m on Vodafone.

(I still regretted it though cos iOS is pants but that’s a different story!)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’m posting from my iPad mini 8)

3G here, but I need it for work. My stuff generally gets covered in grass and mud…. 😮 So far the mini has held up pretty good.

mark90
    Free Member

Missus has a 3g Xoom and in the 9 months we’ve had it never had a need for 3g. Based on that experience I recently got a WiFi only Nexus. Just tether them to the phones. But both tablets have GPS and that it’s something I’d not want to be without. Yes the phones have GPS too, but sometimes it’s better to use the bigger screen on the tablet and built in GPS makes it so easy.

Ladders
    Free Member

Not really thought about the GPS thing. Not sure that would bother me?

Are there any disadvantages of using 3G through tethering? Apart from the hassle!

mark90
    Free Member

No real drawback as long as your mobile provider allows it, or at least doesn’t really monitor/block it. Wouldn’t say I find it any hassle. Tablet almost always has Wi-Fi on, one click on the phone to switch hot spot on and tablet automatically connects. Job done. Also has the advantage that you can position phone for best signal (eg near a window) while sitting where ever you want with the tablet.

GPS may not be a big deal, depends what you want to use if for. Missus likes to use it for realtime mapping when she’s navigating us around the country lanes when we’re away in the camper van.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are there any disadvantages of using 3G through tethering? Apart from the hassle!

[quote]
    Extra battery use so depends how long and how far from power you want to do all this.

allthegear
    Free Member

I do sometimes wish my iPad was 3G, mainly as I travel aboard and being able to pop in a local sim to to iPad would be handy.

jota180
    Free Member

I got a 3G iPad mini but really only for the GPS, I’m yet to get a SIM for it

officialtob
    Free Member

I strongly advise spending that little bit more now and getting a 3G version, even if you don’t use it that much.

A Samba Mobile SIM card means you get completely free 3G data whilst in the UK, providing you watch a couple of adverts now and again to too up your data ‘battery’. My dad is with Samba, and its perfect if he’s just out and about and wants to check his email without the faff of finding wi-fi.

CountZero

FWIW, I’m eventually going to get a Mini, and GPS is a must; the pocketability and screen size makes it perfect for using OS maps. They’re great on an iPhone, but fantastic on a full-size iPad, the Mini screen is an ideal size for use in the field, about the size of a folded OS map.
    With the right mounting, it’s a damn good car satnav using CoPilot or TomTom.
    Actually, Apple Maps are pretty good for voice guidance as well, although CoPilot lets you edit routes.

Slogo
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4G IPad 3, I used the sim while i was in the Seychelles for 8 months this year. mostly to send emails and web browsing on the go. While at home ive got WiFi.

Never used the sim in the uk, but while away Ill buy a sim and use it again.

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve got a WiFi only iPad 3 – no regrets here. Works perfectly tethered to my HTC Desire on Orange, even with video calling on Skype (Skype seemed to gobble data though at roughly 10mb/min – my 500mb/month bundle is nearly all gone after 3x video calls home last week…)

O2 have just finished a half price sale on PAYG mifi pocket hotspots – £35 (plus £5 cashback on Quidco/TCB) for the mifi + 1gb data valid for 3 months (or 2gb for 1 month). With a bit of tinkering it’ll work with a Giff Gaff sim too. It also can connect up to 5 devices (will prob be v. slow though). £30 seemed too much of a bargain to not get one. Might be worth keeping an eye out in case the offer is repeated?

danielgroves
    Free Member

I have an iPad3, with LTE. No regrets in spending the extra, perfect for on the train and sat at airports (I live in Plymouth, and my dad in Edinburgh so I spend a lot of time flying in between). Also saved me some over the summer when I moved into a new flat and had to wait six weeks for the interest to be turned on.

Like you I have WiFi at work and home, so do not use the data unless I am elsewhere.

I also love working in coffee shops, so it’s ideal in that situation as more often than not the WiFi in them is either rubbish, or just doesn’t work.

Only you can really make the decision about weather you need 3G/LTE though, personally I wouldn’t buy another without it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I got the wifi one, but own an unlocked smartphone i can use as a hotspot if necessary (not very often).

They hold their value very well if you buy the wrong one, or you can get those battery powered 3g wifi hotspot things.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4G IPad 3

Me too..

I had a Nexus7 but that was too small and pants because… it had no Flash and 3G..

So I bought and iPad and it’s perfect for surfing whilst sitting on the Train, even use it for nav in That Larndarn. But I’m with Sky and they have a free WiFi network and I’m hoping one day I get to use that (if I can be bothered to find a location that is) So I use a 3 SIM only and £15.00 a mth. I know that sounds expensive to some, but to me it’s a couple of beers and I get the flexiability to use the iPad where ever I go.

Soooo.. so I’d say get the 3G one and either use it via SIM or don’t use it, it’s just you have the capability if you ever need it.

As to IOS, well it ain’t Andriod (which I’m used to) but it ain’t that dissimilar and easy to use.

grum
    Free Member

Heh appear to be able to tether from my iPhone on my £13 a month unlimited Internet contract on 3 – thought I had to buy an add-on. Sweet!

GrahamS

Wifi-only iPad 3 here – can’t say I’ve ever missed having 3G at all.

It takes literally seconds to tether to the phone if I do need mobile data.

Simple sum:

Calculate (how many times you will ever need mobile data on your ipad) x 10 seconds * (your hourly rate) and see if that comes anywhere close to the £100 extra you have to pay for built-in 3G

geoffj

grum – Member
    Heh appear to be able to tether from my iPhone on my £13 a month unlimited Internet contract on 3 – thought I had to buy an add-on. Sweet!
    POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Just because you can doesn’t mean they won’t bill you for it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

And an update from me..

3G doesn’t always work on the South Downs, this morning was awful.

grum
    Free Member

Uh oh! Just watched a good hour or two of cricket on Sky Go on it. 😯

infidel
    Free Member

WiFi only here and I tether it to my mobile when I need to with no hassle. To me the other advantage is that when I upgrade to a 4G phone, my ipad is defacto also upgraded to 4G.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Those on 3 – They do not bill you for tethering, I do it on my iPad to get my laptop online all the time and have never been charged extra for it.

Slogo
    Free Member

So ive just signed up with a samba sim for my Ipad3 4G Samba Website

Its great. watch a few adverts a couple of days a week. (i run them in the back ground while i surf the internet.) For free 3G.

It costs £5 for the sim, (£2.50 if you send me your email.)

CountZero

Hmmm, Samba looks interesting.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘iPad etc – do I need 3G’ is closed to new replies.