Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Installing a new oven
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Is it easy? Mine has just died…

shermer75
    Free Member

See also: can you fry lamb chops lol

samperry25
    Free Member

Electric or gas? Yes for the chops.

Drac

Yes and yes a ribbed grill pan is a great way to cook them better than oven.

shermer75
    Free Member

Electric oven!

Chops are in the frying pan 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

Yes, very straight forward.

Isolate. Open fused spur for oven. Disconnect cable.

Take out the screws holding it in the cabinet.

Slide out.

Slide in new one as you feed the cable back towards spur.

Screw in to place.

Connect cable to fuse spur.

IANAE and if you die, or burn your house down, it’s not my fault.

leffeboy

add: check if single or 3 phase supply, make sure new oven is configured appropriately then wire up

samperry25
    Free Member

May just be the heating element that’s died on the oven. Quite easy to replace if you’re that way inclined and you make sure you isolate the power!

brownsauce
    Free Member

Easy ? All depends on your wiring skills innit gov

electrical testers help enormously , got some ?

shermer75
    Free Member

I have a multimeter

nickjb
    Free Member

The mechanics of it is very easy as long as it is the same size. You need to make sure the existing cable is man enough for the new oven. Either get one the same power as the old one or check the cable size and MCB rating. Make sure you properly isolate it then check that it is actually isolated with the meter

drnosh
    Free Member

Died – How.

You can replace elements very easily.

Just be a couple of self tappers holding it in position, with 2 slide off terminals.

Easy job.

fossy

As others have said, if it’s getting power, the element will have gone. They are less than £20 and easy to replace (oven out job). If it’s an old oven, then you might find rusted screws on the inside of the oven that makes stuff tricky.

finishthat
    Free Member

Ours blew an element last month £8.97 including shipping and 15 mins to swap – as above 6 self tappers and 2 push on connectors.
    Save the planet – fix it.

tewit
    Free Member

I started a thread asking why our Kenwood oven and grill wasn’t heating up even though the fan was working and finally done it. No multi meter (DURR) so it was trial and error buying parts. Selector switch fitted. No work. Element. No work. Thermostat. Yeah work.😀 All the components that I was changing were just had spade connectors. Just remember to take a picture before disconnecting them. So you know where to stick em back.
    Biggest job was pulling the big bastard out and pushing back in. 3 times.🙄

samperry25
    Free Member

Find where the element comes into the oven and test it for Continuity (the one the beeps on the multimeter when you touch the probes together) put one probe where it comes in and one where it comes out. If it doesn’t beep it’s the element. Your probably better testing it from the back on the actual connectors but it should work from the front.

finishthat
    Free Member

Just to add a point – our fan oven element is replaced from inside the cooking area – so you just need long arms/torch to unscrew the element cover – no need to remove the oven – just please check and double check that the electricity supply is isolated/off .

mick_r

Leffeboy – domestic oven on a 3 phase supply?! We have a furnace at work that is 3 phase, but 1000 deg C tends to burn the chops.

johndoh
    Free Member

Some ovens can simply be plugged in to a 13A socket I believe – so if the OP has one of those (and doesn’t fancy the dead easy job of changing an element) it *may* just be a case of unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in.

However, OP – if you need to replace, simply ensure your new appliance is the same size as the old one and is rated at the same value (ie 23A). Then isolate the circuit (switch off at the mains). Check you have switched it off at the mains. Then check you have switched it off at the mains again. Then, when you are absolutely certain you have switched it off at the mains, simply switch over the units – there will only be three wires (or possibly two??????) so just swap over like for like. If the wiring looks remotely like it might be slightly confusing, take a picture of it as soon as you have exposed it so you have it to refer back to later.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Installing a new oven’ is closed to new replies.