Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Inov-8 Shoes – any good as an alternative to Merrell..?
  • househusband

Just wondering if anyone has any of the Inov-8 Roclite shoes; are they sturdy enough to be an alternative to Merrell ‘approach’ shoes? I’m not a runner, but they look good – and are a British company. Am after something light, comfortable (yeah, I know that’ll depend on fit) and good for just walking about in!

Ta.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yep, perfect for the job. The only caveat would be that the low heel height feels a little odd to some people.

ajc
    Free Member

They area a dedicated running shoe really not a pub/general kicking about shoe. The soles are quite soft rubber studs and will wear really fast unless your off road.

NZCol

what ajc said is true they are quite soft
    The Merrell Overdrive is an OK shoe but the pairs we got for the team were destroyed in a day so I’m not convinced about their ability to withstand bush bashing !

househusband

Ta, guys. Have ordered a pair of 315’s – will send ’em back if they appear unsuitable. Wouldn’t use them exclusively for kicking about and general dossing about in – have a school trip in the outdoors in a few months and (weather permitting) they should be ideal for being on my feet all day!

RustySpanner

Don’t use them for cycling!

They stick to flats as well as 5-10’s but you’ll destroy them in a couple of weeks.

Can usually find retailers flogging bargain pairs at cross country races –
    just picked up a pair of these:

and these:

for £40.00 per pair.
    They look chavtastic but are superb for general knocking around as well as running.
    Really suit wider feet as well.

Have used these in the past – lighter weight, not quite as cushioned or hard wearing as the above but perfect for summer hiking:

Their website is really helpful – tells you which shoes are best suited to specific activities.www.inov-8.com

aracer
    Free Member

Why on earth the GTX ones? The only reason they make them is for marketing reasons than because they actually think there’s an advantage to them.

I’d have recommended Terrocs over Roclites (the 315s at least are really a race shoe), though I guess it’s too late now. PKs are better than either for urban use, and whilst not designed for off-road, they do work – I use mine for general wear, though have eventually worn through the inside of the heel with my heel spurs, as I do with all shoes 🙁

user-removed
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – where did you find those kicks for £40? Cheapest I’ve seen the 305PKs is about £65….

RustySpanner

Why on earth the GTX ones?

If you mean ‘Why did I buy them?’ rather than ‘Why do they make them?’

Don’t usually like waterproof shoes, as once they fill up they don’t drain, but as stated above, they were cheap and I thought I’d give them a go.
    Perfect this weekend for walking over soggy moorland to the Bridestones for a bit of bouldering.
    Spot on for a jog down the canal to the pub – means I can sit down and have a pint with dry feet.

RustySpanner

User-removed:

Was marshalling a cross country race in Heaton Park, North Manchester – bought from one of the regular retailers who turn up there.
    Did pick up a flyer from them, if I’ve still got it I’ll post the details.
    They had about half a dozen pairs of Inov8’s in various sizes – I just picked up the two pairs that fitted me then did a little dance of happiness when I saw the price.

Got my last couple of pairs (330’s and 310’s) from Up and Running in the Triangle in Manchester – the manager is a sound chap and knocked a few quid off and threw in a pair of excellent Ron Hill socks. Think I got them both for £120.00. Worth a try if your anywhere near.

aracer
    Free Member

If you mean ‘Why did I buy them?’ rather than ‘Why do they make them?’

Yes – as I commented, I know why they make them (I’ve spoken at length with the owner of Inov-8). Nice to see an insight into where such things are beneficial – still have an almost unused pair of GTX Salomons I won and don’t really know what to do with.

user-removed
    Free Member

aracer – I always buy goretex trainers for summer walking / camping. They keep the moisture out until you get into really boggy stuff (I also get 50% discount off Salamon gear through my P/T job, so that’s also a deciding factor).

If you’re size 9 I may be interested in your Salamon trainers – info(at)emersonphotography if you want shot of them…

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Ive said it before and i’ll say it again quality on roclites 315 is poor two pairs both failed inside the heel for me, brilliant shoe for running but just dont last. Spoke to a shop owner at a fell race and he said he’d seen lots of shoes fail in this way but i think they have quite a good warranty just need to send them a pic instead of cutting out the toungue and sending them to merrel 😀

NZCol

I use the Flyroc and Terroc 330 for adventure racing (expedition length races)
    I’ve discovered that prior to the first big session if you take a hairdryer to the heel keep on a low heat for about 20 minutes then wear them with a pair of your normal race socks they mould a bit otherwise it takes yonks for them to wear in and they ag your heels sometimes (i’ve had 2 identical pairs at once and one did and one didn;t – odd). Just tried this on the offchance as it worked when i fitted ski boots back in the dim and distant past….

househusband

I’d have recommended Terrocs over Roclites (the 315s at least are really a race shoe), though I guess it’s too late now.

Yup, they might be more suitable looking at them now! Will see how the 315’s fit and then consider changing them for the Terrocs.

surfer
    Free Member

Dont know much about Merrels but Inov8 shoes are for fell running and racing not walking about in the countryside. Dont know why anyone would want them for anything but moving quick over the fells, or maybe cross country.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dont know why anyone would want them for anything but moving quick over the fells, or maybe cross country.

Because they feel great on the feet. You can feel everything under your foot almost like being bare foot with a bit of tread on the sole. I much prefer that to wearing some sweaty clog like approach shoe or trainer.

Baldysquirt

I have a pair of the terroc for trail walking / backpacking. I actually have problems with the heals and the rub horribly if I’m not careful, but if they fit they’re a great shoe for general outdoors messing around.

surfer
    Free Member

sweaty clog like approach shoe or trainer

Never seen these advertised.

Slippers feel great on my feet but I wont be walking on any fells in them anytime soon.
    Still think for walking a more substantial shoe would be better. Inov8 do a lightweight boot which I will be trying at the weekend. I expect them to be good for moving quickly (not running) in the hills, provides support and ankle protection but with the grippy sole.

antigee

think the anti goretex trainer arguments are similar to single speed fundamentalism
    personally i buy the goretex ones cos can walk in the hills all day in them and can keep feet dry, go sledging etc and when they are a bit worn out and it is chucking it down can walk to the post office or school and arrive with dry socks – as too running sort of agree doesn’t matter
    found inov8 fitting a bit wide for me

RustySpanner

Surfer,

Have a look at this page of the website:

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Activity.asp?AID=1&PG=PG1&L=26

Just click on the relevant activity and it shows you which shoes would be most suitable. Not just for racing!

I first read about Inov8’s in TGO magazine (the walkers version of Singletrack?) a couple of years ago. They were being touted as a viable alternative to heavy walking boots, as well as fell racing shoes.

I was extremely sceptical at first, but eventually bought a pair of terroc 330’s after trying them on. I have very wide feet and they are just soooooo comfy.

If you ‘re careful and think about foot placement you can wear them almost anywhere – just dont go kicking any rocks.
    I find them perfect for summer walking on almost any terrain.

The manufacturers actually describe them as “Trail running and walking shoe with high levels of comfort and performance. Ideal for hard surface tracks and trails”.

stever
    Free Member

Strange. The Inov-8s I’ve tried have been too narrow. Errm, Mudroc 280 I think, 290 possibly.

Can anyone give a definitive list of which models suit wide feet?

aracer
    Free Member

Strange. The Inov-8s I’ve tried have been too narrow.

That’s because they do have different width fittings for different shoes (much like most other shoe companies do for different models in their range). The pure fell shoes tend to be narrower for stability reasons.

As a general guide from those I’ve tried, Terroc, Flyroc and 320PK are wider fitting, Mudroc, Mudclaw and Roclite 315 are narrower fitting. I think some of the other Roclites are wider fitting than 315s, but not totally sure. I think some of the F-lites are narrower fitting than the PK version, but again not totally sure. Best thing is to try them on before you buy!

Edit: I thought there ought to be a way of getting the info from the Inov-8 site – http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Search-By-Features.asp?PG=PG1&PFID=9&L=26 mainly agrees with my observations, but reckons the 315s are a wide fitting which I’m not sure I agree with (I use my narrow orthotics in them) – probably wider then Mudclaws, but not as wide as Flyrocs or 320PKs.

stever
    Free Member

Useful info aracer. You’ve displayed more product knowledge than some of their retailers… I know why some models are snugger, I also know that I can’t comfortably get some fell shoes on (or at all in the case of Mountain Bear Gladiators!). Currently racing in Walsh PB Ultras, which are like boats even on my fat feet 🙂

Thanks again!

aracer
    Free Member

You’ve displayed more product knowledge than some of their retailers.

To be fair, I have spent rather longer discussing the shoes and other kit with people at Inov-8 than most retailers have!

twang
    Free Member

Right, gonna jump straight in here with a blatant sell;
    I have a new pair of roclite 390 gtx, size 8, that I have no use for.
    I have worn them for driving and a walk to the shop when I first got them(as you do!) so they are in perfect, as new condition. They cost me £100, would sell them for £60 if anybody’s after a pair?

surfer
    Free Member

Rusty

I was wrong. Their product range is a lot bigger than I recalled.

Having said that I cant help but think a lot of it is chasing the same customer, many of the shoes are only marginally different. All very good quality IMO however.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Inov-8 Shoes – any good as an alternative to Merrell..?’ is closed to new replies.