Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How to get out of SPD’s
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Following on from the conversation abotu Flats/SPD.

I used to ride flat for a very long time and I really like them

I changed over to SPD about 7 years ago, and to be fair im still not as confident in them.

For instance I’ll try the tree / plank on follow the dog with flat but not SPDs.

quick question which way do people twist their foot to get out of spd’s?

To get out of SPD I’ve always twisted it in. Ie the heels go in.

So theres 2 movements 1 to twist the foot in then 1 to move it back out and put my foot on the ground.

I’ve never understood “there’s plenty of time to unclip” because there isnt for me.

So do most people unclip by moving their heel outwards? This would enable one movement to put your foot on the floor.

I’ve tried this but I dont seem to have the muscles in my leg to accomplish this movement. esp in my left leg. I twist and nothing really happens.

I managed to get my right foot out by twisting outwards at the weekend but I had to change the angle of the cleat to make it easier for me which would obviously decrease the float and be bad for my knees on longer rides.

glenh
    Free Member

I didn’t even know it was possible to release twisting inwards! Isn’t the crank in the way?

Rich
    Free Member

Yeah twist out.

The only time I have trouble getting out in time is when Im going to crash, so then a simple dab turns into a body slam.

Havent worked out how to get round that one yet.

jfeb
    Free Member

You need to find a compromise position for your cleat where you get enough float to be comfortable yet don’t have to twist your foot so far you can’t unclip by twisting out.

(I have never heard of someone twisting “in” to unclip before)

40mpg

I generally dismount to the left, so twist both feet left, even if needing to put my right foot down. Never had a problem with this and am confident enough not to panic in those oops situations, generally giving me enough time to balance and unclip.

Richyb
    Free Member

Always to the outside. Sounds like your spd’s are too tight, use an allen key to adjust the adjusters see pic (one on either side)

40mpg

Actually thinking about it, I think it stems from when I used to race cyclocross, so would unclip the right foot inwards on the up pedal stroke abd swing it over the back of the seat, through between left leg and frame and down so I was running before the left foor was unclipped (if that makes sense)

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Im actually using egg beaters (on the loose setting) but I did the same when I had shimano SPDs.

Yeah obviously the crank does get in the way at certain angles so you have to time the release with the pedal stroke to a certain extent.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

40 mpg I kinda know what you mean some times I’ll swing my right leg over and the left just seems to unclip

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’m currently sitting at work practising twisting my feet in

nickc

I can release either way, also by pulling straight up if you pull hard enough. I must say, I’ve never not got my foot out quick enough when it all goes pear shaped. The only time I ever fell over was when the bolts came loose in the shoe, and the cleat was twisting rather than popping out. And come on, 7 years and you’re still not happy? My missus was confident after 10 minutes…

BFITH
    Free Member

I find that if you apply severe pressure to the front brake lever, the momentum of your body through the air (and eventually onto the ground) will usually release you from your clips… 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

As with 40mpg, I always used to twist both feet to the left (i.e. left foot twist out, right foot twist in). This worked fine until I got a full sus. And the shock was in the way. And I went back to those ooohhhbuggernononoaaaarrrggh can’t unclip moments.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohhh.

I never knew people even thought like this. I started on SPDs in about 1992 and only fell off once at first. Since then I can honestly say it’s been instincive. I’ll attempt pretty much anything I’m capable of in SPDs and I’ve NEVER been stuck in them in a crash, either. If I want my feet free, then they’re free instantly, no thinking, nothing….

Is that normal?

mudshark
    Free Member

I have my Shimano pedals set pretty lightly; never come out by accident but easy to get out when needed – even managed to pull out by going straight up in my early days of using them. Did try egg beaters which I found great for rding in but definitely harder to get out of though that wouldn’t stop me using them.

nickc

Peter, it’s not just you, every one I know has no issues at all being clipped in.

Mountain/molehill springs to mind…

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Peter i am like that too, No need to think, i just take my foot of the pedal.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So I’m normal then. (well, nearly)

Phew!

😉

Snigletrack
    Free Member

I use egg beaters, I find it’s just a sort of ‘squish’ action. Relax the ankle and squish off the pedal slightly sideways. Very intuitive and I never fall over clipped in.

Snigle
    :o)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ok, slight twist (pun intended) on the original topic

any other SPD riders crashed becasue they couldnt clip back in?

picture the scene:

bamford clough racing your mates

quick pedal turn round the corner and over the drainage ditch.

pedal clips a rock
    and unclips

your now stuck at the 6 o’clock position, unable to shift any weight back, and thus un-able to do any meaningfull braking. and unable to rest on the pedal as its a nice grippy subber sole on 2 meatal rails!

speed picks up

and up
    and up

then

bang

your on the floor, watching bits of your helmet flying past your face and someone runs you over but your blacked out so dont notice.

brakes
    Free Member

maybe you should try a different type of pedal

can you get different cleats with egg-beaters?
    I use single-release cleats for SPDs and find the multi-release ones unbearable – they feel like everything is broken

twisting in just seems crazy though

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just tried twisting my right foot inwards, I ended up with my foot stuck in the clip, jammed at a funny angle and I fell over. First time I’ve done a spd fall since the first day I put them on. Thanks. 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Same as me then If I try the other way 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How to get out of SPD’s’ is closed to new replies.