Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Inertia
  • Cougar

Does anyone else struggle with this? I’ve had it all my life.

It’s currently 1:30am and I’m sitting here thinking, maybe I’ll make some food, or get a drink, or watch an episode of something (or hey, start this thread on the forum). Anything to avoid going to bed. If it wasn’t for the need to be up for work tomorrow I’d probably be awake until I dropped.

In the morning I’ll hit Snooze a thousand times, do anything other than have to get out of bed. Again, but for work I’d probably be surfacing by choice maybe early afternoon. It seems almost, I like being awake, I like being asleep, it’s the transition that’s the killer for me.

And the more I think about it, the more it’s the same in other areas. I enjoy a shower but I hate getting into a shower, I’ll put it off for days and then when I’m finally there I’ll have to take me a couple of deep breaths and close my eyes before actually stepping under the shower head. Then once in there I could stay there all day.

I’m not naturally afeared. I’ve jumped out of aeroplanes, bungee jumped, driven on racetracks, flown a helicopter, rock climbed…. I relish the challenge of new things at that level. But I find routine passage through the daily mundane just irrationally massively difficult, I’m an Olympic grade procrastinator. Sure, I’ll make a start on cooking tea shortly, I just need to check my email and go to the shop and reply to something on STW and have a wee and check my email again and do a couple of other trivial things and refresh Facebook and hey how did it suddenly get to be 8pm?

I guess I’m not reaching out for solutions here, rather, well… eh, just please someone tell me that I’m not alone and it’s not just me being a complete maniac! (… and me doing something to avoid bed.)

hols2
    Free Member

Been meaning to ask the same question for ages, but never get around to it.

Cougar

2:30am. hits refresh

cdoc
    Free Member

Only with sleep, not the other stuff.. I’ll be about until three or four every night watching stuff, browsing, reading or tinkering quietly.

Not much point posting this late/early, though, so who knows how many others there are here at three AM.

phil5556

I’m like it with sleep, I often lay in bed for hours not being able to drop off. Usually worse before a morning shift where I have to get up at 5:30, I’m often still awake after 2am. And then need an afternoon nap.

Also rarely go to bed before midnight, mostly because I convince myself that I won’t sleep so there’s no point.

I don’t worry / stress about things so it’s not that but sometimes can’t stop thinking or planning.

I’m nightshift now and it’s been a bit of a quiet one so getting a bit of rest now.

Poopscoop

Bloody hell Cougar.

Almost all of what you said in your post. It’s like I typed it. 3.30am here…. Should be in bed but just about to watch an episode of Walking Dead.

Been told by someone that the “holding onto the day” part of my psyche is to do with fearing what the new day brings…

Kryton57

You should read the Science of Sleep, then you’ll realise what damage your doing to yourself.  I also was a serial “stay up late” type, now .im in bed by 10.30 on a regular basis.  It’s mentally draining, can lead to many mental and physical issues as well as proven to be carciogenic.

im the opposite with the shower – it’s the getting out transition I can’t stand – dripping wet, cold, naked grrrr.

rone

It’s the number one issue!

Sat on the settee … impossible to get up and do tasks.

Not been biking for a while? Whole load of pain to get started again.

Routine wins out here. Program yourself there isn’t a choice. You’ll soon find yourself robotically doing the right thing.

I get up and go to bed at the same time every day and do the same things when I wake up (as much as humanly possible.)

A good start in a morning sets up your day.

onehundredthidiot

Bloody hell once that started I thought it’d never end.

stumpyjon

Yep, I also hate the sleep awake transitions, can’t even lie in properly anymore. I wake up but not enough to want to get up. I also put off the simplest of things that just need doing due to some unknown fear. Life feels like a struggle at times just to function. Ironically I like being busy, feel guilty if I don’t “achieve” something each day.

701arvn
    Free Member

This very much used to be me.

A few things happened- in the regular way of life – now I aim for 2100 bed and up for 6, I read for an hour before sleep , this is the key I think – no TV, the flashing and sound is doing something to my brain for sure, not surprising it’s designed to keep you watching,like Facebook shows you stuff to keep your attention.

Get some proper sleep and your life will be better.

slowoldman

Since retiring earlier this year I’m struggling with getting up in the morning. No alarm to rouse me, no need to get to work.

stumpy01

I do this to an extent with sleeping.

I stick YouTube on the TV to have a quick look before bed & the next thing I know it’s 11:30 or later (my alarm goes off at 5:30) and I know that I will be shattered in the morning, but I will hunt out one more video….one more video….

MoreCashThanDash

The general description from the OP sounds like my early experience with anxiety and depression. Keep an eye on yourself, keep talking to people.

I have to get up at 6am most days to get everything organised for work and school. I therefore need to be asleep by 11pm to function properly the next morning. Sorting my sleep routine was the best thing I’ve done in years

scotroutes

The sleep thing – definitely. For the past 30 years or so my “normal” bedtime has been between 1 and 2 am. I’ve read all of the stuff about the effect of this on health etc but I can only say that it seems to be working fine for me. If I go to bed earlier I simply like awake worrying about not sleeping and it’s even worse.

On other things, I’m also affected. I love being out riding my bike but will prevaricate and delay for hours to actually get out. On the upside, I often get some amazing sunsets and lovely evening light (and the trails are often quieter) but I’m also jealous of folk showing off their early-morning snaps. (I’m sitting here typing, half-ready to go out on the fatbike…)

I bought a van and converted it to a camper so I could flit off at short notice for nights away but, again, I’ll often just find some reason not to go. It doesn’t take much to distract me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

slowoldman

On the upside, I often get some amazing sunsets and lovely evening light

Went out for a quick walk on Kinder yesterday. Came down in the dark. Some nice sky just beforehand though. If I’d set off at a sensible hour I would have missed it.

Cougar

The general description from the OP sounds like my early experience with anxiety and depression.

That had crossed my mind. Hmm.

I love being out riding my bike but will prevaricate and delay for hours to actually get out.

Yes, this also. The only time I get out these days is when a mate goes “fancy going for a ride on Saturday?”

scotroutes

Anxiety definitely an issue for me too.

The only time I get out these days is when a mate goes “fancy going for a ride on Saturday?”

Commiting to ride with someone definitely works. The other thing that has dragged me out this year is setting myself some targets; average 1 x 50km ride per week, 1 x 100km ride per month and 150km total per week.. It’s turning it into a bit of a game and means I’ll force myself out rather than miss a target. Sad, but works for me. I’ve bought a fitness watch to see if I can do the same thing with my sleep, trying to increase it.

avdave2

I love being out riding my bike but will prevaricate and delay for hours to actually get out.

One of the things I like about running if there is a lot less faff and organising to get out of the door so there are less excuses.

Riding to work is good, it’s just got to be done so it becomes routine, hopefully I’ll be back doing that soon.

Riding with a club is good, I turn up every Sunday what ever the weather if I’m free because I know others will be there. Having said that a couple of weeks ago the weather was so bad that it was just the 2 of us out of a club of over 100.

I never have the going to bed problem or the getting out of bed one but on a day of I do find I need to have some kind of plan of what to do with it before I go to bed the night before. Without that I can find myself in a situation where I don’t really do anything

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Inertia’ is closed to new replies.