Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Indoor cat has escaped
  • convert

Our old girl has decided to retire herself from independent outdoors exploring. She’ll come out if we are out but not venture more than a few yards from us or the back door. At 18 and deaf as a post I think she is entitled to a bit of protection. On Saturday we were out but left a window open. She jumped out then couldn’t jump back. When we came back we found her making a hell of a racket at the back door in the full afternoon sun trying to get back in. Super heated and once inside flopped on her side for hours – I thought she could be a gonner. A bit sad considering what an outside independent girl she used to be but she’s had a good life and still seems content until she gets out of her comfort zone.

I hope your cat makes it’s way home.

convert

after 24 hours daughter wandered the streets and found a stiffie by the side of the road

No words needed. Ace 😀

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Why do some people think its OK to keep a cat indoors ?”

A friend has two cats in a small flat on the 12th floor of a tower block. They have never known anything but that flat. He wonders why they have behavioural problems, and shit everywhere but in their litter tray (including in his bed! 😆 ). There’s no reason for people to keep pets other than for vanity, but his form of ownership is more cruel than most, in my opinion. A neighbour has a lovely ‘house cat’, which has full access to outside, but prefers it indoors especially in cold/wet weather.

Given that ACAB (All Cats Are Bastards), I think it should be law for all cats to wear bels, to warn small creatures and wild birds. Too many cats are causing environmental damage. 🙁

cinnamon_girl

We’ve all been there.

No words needed. Ace

She was inconsolable, unable to get her head around that whilst the cat had obviously been run over it was the ‘leaving it at the side of the road like a piece of rubbish’ that really got to her.

mightymule
    Free Member

Any news yet?

5thElefant
    Free Member

There’s no reason for people to keep pets other than for vanity

Our* cat has a job. It keeps the rabbit population down. In return we let it in the house and feed it occasionally (mostly in the winter).

*not really our cat. It just turned up. It is it’s own cat.

mightymule
    Free Member

Our cats have jobs. They just don’t do them….

stox
    Free Member

Any news yet?

Nothing so far. Just distributed leaflets to the surrounding houses asking them to check gardens , garages etc.

If he was going to appear I’d guess it would be during the evening / night time.

Cougar

She was inconsolable, unable to get her head around that whilst the cat had obviously been run over it was the ‘leaving it at the side of the road like a piece of rubbish’ that really got to her.

Sadly, to many folk it’s “just a cat,” as evidenced by some of the shitty comments on this thread.

I totally get that some people don’t like cats / dogs / rats / spiders / etc etc, but that doesn’t excuse the complete lack of empathy that some show towards fellow human beings around the loss of their beloved animals.

squin
    Free Member

I recently read something about putting their litter tray outside so that they can pick up the smell (presumably if it’s dirty litter it’s better).

hora
    Free Member

Not much that you can do. I came across a dead Westie at the kerbside (we also had a Westie at the time). I rang the nearest vet and they said ‘can you bring it in so we can scan it for a chip’? I replied no chance. Id already felt round it’s collar for contact details and well you don’t need me to draw you a picture as to why?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Any big trees near your house?

Our cat went missing for a few days once and we spent days scouring the streets looking for it. We eventually heard some mewing and discovered it about 30 ft up a huge tree. Ended up having to call the fire brigade as had no means of getting to the cat and it wasn’t coming down in a hurry.

rhid

Cats know where the food and treats are. I have no doubt it will turn up at the window before long.

Took a friend’s older cat when she had to move. The little devil ran off after 1 day. It came back 2 days later hungry. They are pretty good at making their way home when they know you hold all the dreamies.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Admittedly we’ve only had 11 cats so far, but yet to find one that isn’t fine with being kept indoors. Three or four have gone out on leads a bit, only one was really keen on it. Most of them came to us as outdoor cats BTW.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

We take ours out for a drive sometimes…

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Stand outside your house with an empty tin can and rattle the can with a spoon until the moggie appears.

Go out for a wander at night with torches and shine them into bushes, etc until the moggie appears.

grtdkad

The torch thing works ^^, as fairly obviously their eyes illuminate. Just no guaranteeing its your cat tho’

When our latest cat was younger we tried to keep him in, but he’d literally barge through your legs and race through the door. Push his way through gaps in windows etc. It was like colditz, ultimately he was much happier with his freedom. Now he spends 80% of his time outside, in the garden, in the graveyard opposite and shi##ing in paulosoxo’s garden.
    He’s much happier and healthier for it.

Good luck with tonight’s quest.

binners

There’s no reason for people to keep pets other than for vanity

One of our cats – the tiny little slinky one – is like all four horsemen of the apocalypse rolled into one, to the local rodent population. A furry angel of death!

Mind you -,The other one – massive fat idle bastard that he is, couldn’t catch a bloody cold

binners

we take ours out for a drive sometimes

Mates of ours have got a camper van. They’re away in it most weekend. Their cat always goes with them. She’ll wander off a good distance from the van, wherever they are, but always comes back. It’s never gone missing. It follows them down to the shops as well though, sits outside waiting for them, then trundles back with them.

I’m sure it thinks it’s a dog.

As for house cats. Some cats just aren’t arsed about going outside. When I first met Mrs Binners she had one that had absolutely no interest in going outdoors. It was an absolutely bloody enormous Maine Coon – like a small lion – so I’m sure the local small furry animal population, and any passing antelopes, were eternally grateful.

Pigface
    Free Member

Had a cat that used to go for walks with us, one day it followed us halfway down Worcester race course from Barborne. Got home no cat, then girlfriend went out to call for it, no sign of it. About 9 that night the daft thing still hasn’t appeared. Off I go back to where we last saw her. It’s pissing down with rain, I call “Sonic” and this missile comes flying out of the allotments launches itself at me and sits on my shoulder all the way home. She didn’t go as far as that again.

A friend has a cat called the Pigster who used to walk miles with him and the dogs on the downs above Lamborn.

Hope the missing one gets home safe.

deadkenny
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Am I the only one wondering where this device gets is power and imagining a cat with a USB socket somewhere so you can charge it?

“Yes dear, just putting the cat on charge!”

Wireless charging plate with something warm underneath. Car will sleep on it and charge at the same time 😀

As for indoor cat discussion, well it’s relevant as that’s why it’s done a runner. Cat that goes out sometimes or a lot has gotten used to where it lives and where it gets the best feed, so will return. They also know their neighbourhood and possibly quite a wide area. Some males are known to roam a lot and can even find their way back from miles away when house moving. Indoor cat could just plain be lost.

Hopefully it’s not far and you can encourage it back with food though. As said, it’s experienced the big wide world now so keeping indoors may be tricky. Unless it’s utterly scared of it out there.

Other thing to say is check all kinds of weird hiding places in the house. Though if it’s hungry it would appear, unless it’s stuck somewhere. Should hear noises or meowing though.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

might be worth checking your sock drawers…

oink1
    Free Member

Might be redundant in these days of combo-boilers but have you checked the airing cupboard / any radiant heat sources? Known many a naughty kitty go missing & turn up in the airing cupboard! Good luck finding him / her 😀

listner
    Free Member

Don’t worry about him. Unless you live in Australia, he’s going to be just fine.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I looked into the tracking options and the best I could find I *think* works like this…

You fit a key fob type thing to the cats collar (they make them for tracking keys) and download an app to your phone. The key fob doesn’t need power to send a signal as it works within the blue tooth radius of your phone. Great for keys in the house, but not much good for cats.

However it also works if other people have the app on their phone, so if the fob is picked up on someone else’s app, you get the location / trail sent to your phone while ever it is in range of any active app.

I could see how it would work in a crowded city centre, but must be very hit and miss for cats out and about in the ‘burbs.

However I may have misunderstood the whole concept…

deadkenny
    Free Member

If there’s no power it’s probably NFC rather than Bluetooth (which needs power). That depends on having NFC in the phone. Range is usually very short also, like a couple of inches.

A more powerful reader can read over a wider range. Like security alarms in shops which trigger off the tags in items.

Would need various reader points stuck around the house in areas cat would have to pass through.

stox
    Free Member

Thanks for the good luck messages. Thanks for the link disco_stu .. I’ve put an ad on.
    Nothing to report unfortunately.
    I was out again last night, rattling his food tin, walking the neighbourhood with a torch. Checking the tree’s etc.
    I left some litter in the back garden and some food on the bench in the front garden. That hasn’t been touched.
    I initially thought he’d be close by. Now I’m fearing he’s gone too far to find his way back.

cranberry
    Free Member

It is possible that he has climbed into a vehicle.

I think that is how Jasmine came to us – she turned up at our back door in a small village, hungry and not chipped. She spent 13 wonderful years with us.

That said, keep checking as there a greater chance that he has gotten himself locked into a shed or garage.

Good luck.

grtdkad

Any news?

stox
    Free Member

Any news?

Thanks but Sadly no. Had a few phone calls of sightings of a black cat in the road but its turned out to be a smaller one thst lives around here. Still it’s nice to know people the note of the leaflets we have put through.

I’ve put more leaflets out today to a couple of streets further out.

His unwashed blanket is on the washing line, there’s food and litter in the garden but no sign of him whatsoever.

The first night I was sure he’d be back. Now not so .. The doubts are setting in 🙁

edhornby

Hope your cat comes back, ours has done this before. It’s never nice waiting, but it could be in a garden shed waiting for the weekend when someone next goes in it. Smokey disappeared one Saturday and turned up the next Saturday, this was a possible explanation but we never knew for sure…

stox
    Free Member

Thanks … If he wasn’t an indoors cat I wouldn’t be so worried about him being away for a few nights.
    As an indoor cat tho he doesn’t have his bearings… Would he find it more difficult to get back if he got too far away? I just don’t know.
    Plus There’s other cats in the road so they’ll have their territories I’d assume … There’s 2 next door which could prevent him coming back ..
    Feeling absolutely gutted right now. Again, appreciate the replies and clearly there’s more than just me and my family hoping for a safe return

chestrockwell

Try not too worry too much yet. Our cat turns up every day for his tucker and often spends most of the day in bed. He went missing last year and after 3 or 4 days I went out with posters etc as my wife was going out of her head. The little bugger just roamed back in after 8 days, a bit hungry but with his usual couldn’t give a f attitude!

Alphabet

As others have said, he’s probably locked in someone’s shed or garage. I’ve had cats go missing for a week and have also known friends cats do the same. They come back the following weekend or a few days later a bit thinner and so very, very happy to be home. It’s nothing that a couple of tins of tuna and a load of cuddles doesn’t put right.

I’ve got my fingers crossed for a happy outcome for you.

jamj1974

I’m sure he will find his way back – the little beast.

taffy
    Free Member

Most has been said.
    Leaflet and don’t be frightened of going quite a way with them. Remind people to check garages and sheds -it i’s possible that people are on their hols.
    Call all the local vet’s and also the local council animal control.
    Put food out, rattle food tins/dishes and wander the streets calling too (I caught a swine of a cold in December years ago calling for one)
    See if you can borrow or buy an animal trap (the humane kind!) and bait it with their favorite food – there is a very good chance the cat is close but lurking and to scared to come back -one of my exe’s cats MO was escape at fits opportunity (I suspect yelling “freeeeeeeeedoooooom! “) and then once 6 feet from the door/fence decide they didn’t want adventure but have the wind up them too much to come back.

All that has gotten a dozen or so cats back (some multiple times) some after 3 weeks on the lam. Hunger will usually bring them back tho it may take a few days as people will feed them (our old British short hair spent 6 days out of 7 with neighbours a street away)

I had one friend get one of his back after a year when the adoptive owner took him to the vet due to this “lump” on the cats belly and the cat was scanned and the microchip pinged. Turns out the cat was just fat and the woman had just been overfeeding him for 12 months!

stox
    Free Member

He’s back!!!!! 🙂

😀

Nipper99
    Free Member

😀

picture please.

cranberry
    Free Member

Excellent news – you must be so happy.

Did you find him, or did he come home on his own ?

I guess he is now grounded until he’s old enough to vote ?

Cougar

Awesome. How is he?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Indoor cat has escaped’ is closed to new replies.