Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Incredibly expensive, incredibly mundane items
  • kerley
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it is a simple thing, if not non-stick.

But if it is made in UK and takes a person a few hours then £50 sounds reasonable doesn’t it (and guessing a ceramic would be fairly labour intensive compared to a machine popping out non-stick Ikea trays)

nemesis
    Free Member

Cars in general. Especially 4x4s which have a big mark up compared to often the same base chassis /engine /etc car model.

senorj

That’s ridiculous,a ceramic Yorkshire pudding tray! It has to be tin, so it doesn’t break when you slam it on the worktop when removing it from  the Aga with a thin tea towel!

wwaswas
    perchypanther
    Free Member

Antimatter

$62.5 trillion per gram

stevextc
    Free Member

postage from wahoo

wanted a new heart rate strap. Strap was £17; bit steep, but acceptable.

item weighs 28g (well within the ‘letter’ weight from the post office, so 67p first class)

they wanted £9.60. Blimey.

I can buy a knock off copy on amazon for a fiver, delivered.

Actually, pretty good point in general.  It’s not just Wahoo but there seem to be countless ‘quality’ products where postage charged on a tiny replacement part is more than a whole ‘knock off’ or compatible item delivered.

701arvn
    Free Member

My wife bought one of those Yorkshire Pudding trays.

AND HAS NEVER **** USED IT!

IHN

But if it is made in UK and takes a person a few hours then £50 sounds reasonable doesn’t it

I guess my point is less about whether £50 is reasonable for that particular Yorkshire pudding tray, given how and where it’s manufactured, and more about the fact that there are people who will pay £50 for a Yorkshire pudding tray.

701arvn
    Free Member

the fact that there are people who will pay £50 for a Yorkshire pudding tray.

Pity me, I know one.

kerley
    Free Member

and more about the fact that there are people who will pay £50 for a Yorkshire pudding tray.

You have only just realised there are millions of people in this country with too much money?

pb2

Dysons Duralit toasters, Smeg anything, the list is endless. I guess there is an argument that they are better but I’m sure a lot is about the perceived brand image and the ultimate extension of this vanity is personal (vanity plates in USA) number plates. Not for me thank you but I am not going to knock people who choose to spend their money that way.

jekkyl

Replacement exposure helmet mount… 25 quid plus postage!!! ☹️

maccruiskeen

Vanilla is a good one – a byword for plain and everyday, yet is very expensive.  Interesting.

most of what you get thats plain and everyday isn’t vanilla – its vanillin . Real vanilla is orchid seeds and its definitely delicious. Most of the the stuff that we buy that is ‘vanilla flavoured’ is  flavoured  with vanillin which is extracted from wood pulp.

twistedpencil

Freezer trays.  Plastic cuboid tray to go in a freezer.  Cheaper to buy a new freezer than replace the trays…

bigjim

those little chrome wire soap and shower gel holder things for your shower that screw into the wall, 55 bruce in my local bathroom shop.

cbike
    Free Member

shimano Electric bicycle controller mount – £75!!!  Good Gaffer Tape – £6.50 a roll   75m robust Optical fibre.  £000’s

richmars

Jeans, those ‘designer’ ones.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Antimatter

$62.5 trillion per gram

Yeah but no but yeah but…..

Who needs it?

Chelsea Tractors that never venture so much as up a kerb. (Loads in Harrogate)

redmex
    Free Member

Flat whites at the artisan coffee bars now knocking on for £3, takeaway same price as sit down, a good 1/4 kilo bag o beans can be had freshly roasted for £6

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Hah I was going to say anchor spreadable butter too! Total con but the wife likes it unfortunately..

CountZero

A Vauxhall Insignia.

What, compared to a BMW or a Merc? I’ve had one as a hire car recently, done nearly 900 miles in it. I can honestly say I’d rather have the Insignia over any BMW I’ve ever driven, and I’ve driven quite a few.

Now they’re an incredibly expensive, incredibly mundane item.

mattyfez

Antimatter

$62.5 trillion per gram

How are you going to weigh the antimatter to make sure you’re getting a full gram, you might be getting ripped off with a point eight? 🙂

kayak23

Quite like that hammer. It holds your nail look….

maccruiskeen

It holds your nail look….

I hope it holds it firmly – wouldn’t what to drop it as its the only nail you can afford once you’ve paid for the hammer

RustyNissanPrairie

Not exactly every day items – aging industrial control systems. We’ve spent in the last few years;

1x £350k

1x £250k

2x £125k

to update to current supported equipment. The machines themselves don’t operate any differently-exactly the same as before. And we’ll have to do it all again in 10 years time when this stuff becomes obsolete!

andrewh
    Free Member

Antimatter’s hardly mundane either. Yes, yes, I know it’s everywhere but….

Not tried the Yorkie tray but the Aga saucepans are really, really good (not mine though)

Bit of glass for an oven door? Broke ours, £150 for a replacement! Got a whole s/h oven for £60. Also, marmite is quite pricey, but worth it.

lotto
    Free Member

Mach 3 razor blades. Was enough to send me down the DE route.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Anyone had to buy anything from Smiggle?

kiwicraig

postage from wahoo

wanted a new heart rate strap. Strap was £17; bit steep, but acceptable.

item weighs 28g (well within the ‘letter’ weight from the post office, so 67p first class)

they wanted £9.60. Blimey.

I can buy a knock off copy on amazon for a fiver, delivered.

I’ll see your £9 pound and raise you 300 for Superstar to send a hub adapter to NZ. When I queried them on it they suggested I get some mates together who also wanted stuff and share the shipping….

I got it send to my Mum’s in the UK and she stuck in an envelope for a fiver.

trademark
    Free Member

Methylated spirits. It’s derived from a byproduct in a manufacturing process.

edit; upset Trangia user here …

rone

spent £50 on a camera tripod

Shouldn’t be in this thread, a completely justified purpose.

My last tripod for our film cameras (business) was £4k. It’s holding up my 15kg money maker. Only had to buy it once. However it does make me wince.

maccruiskeen

Methylated spirits. It’s derived from a byproduct in a manufacturing process.

edit; upset Trangia user here …

And rubbish in a trangia too – the ‘methylated’ bit stinks and blackens everything. When you’re abroad and can get the spirit without the the methylatedness (alcohol a bruler for instance in France)  trangias are an absolute pleasure to cook with

Cougar

Printer ink.  What’s it made from, unicorn tears?

Bottled water.  We whine about petrol prices and then cheerfully pay three times that for something we have piped into our homes for free.

Car door mirrors – £350 to replace mine recently.

Houses.

IHN

When you’re abroad and can get the spirit without the the methylatedness (alcohol a bruler for instance in France)  trangias are an absolute pleasure to cook with

And in this country you can get (other brands are available):

JackHammer

Vanilla pods contain vanillin…. it’s the primary component. The natural pod will contain other chemical compounds that might help it taste better, and the vanillin from the chemical/industrial synthesis will only contain vanillin (probably).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanillin

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apples

Why is an apple 3x more expensive than a banana?

Drac

Apples

Why is an apple 3x more expensive than a banana?

Because they just work.

IHN

*doffs cap*

kerley
    Free Member

aren’t you just comparing apples to bananas

redsox
    Free Member

passenger side wing mirror for a Mk 7 golf just cost me the princely sum of 500 quid to replace. All because it folds and lights up and all that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Incredibly expensive, incredibly mundane items’ is closed to new replies.