Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Incredibly expensive, incredibly mundane items
  • IHN

Walking through the mean streets of Cirencester at lunchtime, I happened to glance into the window of the Aga shop. They had on display a Yorkshire pudding tray you know, for which they only wanted the measly sum of, wait for it, fifty quid! Fifty quid!

jam-bo

You should take a look at how much the aga’s are..

RustySpanner

Suspension forks.

franksinatra

There was a girl on the train yesterday who looked like she admired the Kardashians. Fake tan, fake lips, lots of make-up and leopard print clothes. My daughter pointed out that her cheap looking trainers cost over £600!

(Balenciaga Triple S Trainers if you are interested)

matt_outandabout

You should take a look at how much the T5 Campers are..

FTFY

Drac

Bike tires.

IHN

Yeah, I get the AGA/forks/T5 thing, but at least you’re paying a bit for something vaguely clever and engineered. A Yorkshire pudding tray is, well, not exactly at the bleeding edge of functional engineering design.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Bike tyres! they are stupidly expensive

jonnyboi

A new electric motor for the septic tank. £250 🙁

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A Vauxhall Insignia.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A Yorkshire pudding tray is, well, not exactly at the bleeding edge of functional engineering design.

You can buy them for £2 I’m sure, but cost is not just about design, there’s quality, durabilty (and marketing/profit!)

IHN

I’d bet a £2 steel Yorkshire pudding tray is more durable than a £50 porcelain one (it was porcelain, by the way).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ti hardtails.

Cherished plates.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You can buy them for £2 I’m sure, but cost is not just about design, there’s quality, durabilty (and marketing/profit!)

Yeah I’m sure there’s £40 worth of it’s valve was added when they stamped AGA into it..

There’s loads of stuff that takes the Mick in the IT world (as I’m sure 95% of STWers will know). Hard Drives for example. You can buy a top quality Seagate HDD for about £80, or you can buy the same Seagate HDD (not similar, the same) for £280, the only difference is that there’s a little HP sticker on it with a hologram. They don’t even hide it, there’s a great big Seagate sticker and a tiny little HP one, same model number with a different model number on the HP sticker.

clubby

Tubeless valves.

neilthewheel

Contact lens cleaning fluid

dougiedogg
    Free Member

I spent £50 on a camera tripod 🙁

Those trainers are terrible looking!

matt_outandabout

Me.

funkmasterp

Mattresses

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d bet a £2 steel Yorkshire pudding tray is more durable than a £50 porcelain one (it was porcelain, by the way).

Hold on a bit though.  I’m not endorsing £50 Yorkshire pudding trays but I can see the advantage of ceramic.  To make good Yorkshires you need to have the tray piping hot so that the batter starts to bubble and cook as you put it in.  Having a ceramic one would mean much greater heat capacity and more crispy light Yorkshires, I reckon.  But your point still stands about the cost.

Other things that are expensive and mundane:

Fence post, £15 for a piece of wood to make the fence exactly as it was before.  Likewise car exhausts – £250 and no upgrade, no better anything.  Just the same as it was.  That’s the nature of repairs I suppose, but’s a little irritating not to be able to upgrade to anything at the same time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Paperclips

P-Jay
    Free Member

My daughter pointed out that her cheap looking trainers cost over £600!

I bet they’d look better with the matching £575 nylon bumbag.

Harry_the_Spider

Anchor spreadable butter. £6 for 500g in Tesco.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Don’t think you can judge a £50 yorkie tray until you have tasted the yorkies that it produces. Who knows they could be the best ones you`ve had in your life, in which case any serious chef (pro) would be more than willing to pay for it and consider it good value for money.

toby1

Petrol – I buy it and just burn it!

hols2
    Free Member

sockpuppet

Paperclips

careful there…

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Saffron.

Vanilla.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Apple products 🤣🤪🤩🤩🤩

Before everyone else dives in on that one..

willard

Printer ink and toner

molgrips
    Free Member

Vanilla is a good one – a byword for plain and everyday, yet is very expensive.  Interesting.

Anyway further to my original post – cars in general.  A cheap bog standard car still costs TEN THOUSAND QUID which is a shitload of money when you think about it.  When we were in our early 20s, carefree and mobile, a mate made £15k in shares (it was the dotcom era).  That would have been enough for a few years travelling on the cheap and having incredible experiences.  Instead he bought a Ford Focus 1.6.  Once the new car smell wore off he had basically nothing of note for his windfall.

philjunior
    Free Member

Likewise car exhausts – £250 and no upgrade, no better anything.  Just the same as it was.  That’s the nature of repairs I suppose, but’s a little irritating not to be able to upgrade to anything at the same time.

Well if you like annoying your neighbours you could put a huge stainless one on it.

IHN

Vanilla is a good one – a byword for plain and everyday, yet is very expensive.

But a limited supply, hence the price. Same for saffron.

petec
    Free Member

postage from wahoo

wanted a new heart rate strap. Strap was £17; bit steep, but acceptable.

item weighs 28g (well within the ‘letter’ weight from the post office, so 67p first class)

they wanted £9.60. Blimey.

I can buy a knock off copy on amazon for a fiver, delivered.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well if you like annoying your neighbours you could put a huge stainless one on it.

It’s the Prius, currently in Kwik Fit having driven around a couple of days with a straight pipe after the old one broke off.  Because it doesn’t really idle, instead it runs to charge the battery at about 1.3krpm, it sounds like some kind of tuned up boy racer mobile 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

A quick Google suggest the ceramic stuff Aga sell is made by Portmerion who make about 50% of their products in the UK.  £50 doesn’t sound so stupid if it was made in the UK after all it is not a simple non stick thing that you would get from Ikea.

Nico
    Free Member

A quick Google suggest the ceramic stuff Aga sell is made by Portmerion who make about 50% of their products in the UK.

What would be more interesting would be to compare the cost at the Portmeirion shop versus the Aga shop. I’m pretty sure it is a simple thing, if not non-stick.

Nico
    Free Member
    natrix
    Free Member

Neighbour has just bought a Tesla Model X  P100D, over £130K for a car that his young children will doubtless be sick all over!!

“But I don’t have to pay for petrol anymore”

qwerty
    Free Member

Your wandering the wrong streets. Pop over to Stroud & one of our many charity shops will provide you with one for the small sum of £1. You can then donate your saved £49 to one of our many needy persons, who will be conveniently located in the door way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Incredibly expensive, incredibly mundane items’ is closed to new replies.