Home Forums Bike Forum Inbred SS QR question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Inbred SS QR question
  • tagnut69
    Free Member

Finally got hold of a single speed inbred with the track type drop outs however when I put the chain tugs in place a standard length qr skewer seems too short, leaving about 5mm of empty thread in the nut. Wheels are Mavic cross rides so changing to a solid axle isn’t really an option.

Can anyone please suggest a qr skewer with a longer shaft.

ssjay
    Free Member

I’ve got a ss inbred. I’ve never noticed qr to short. But I do use a xt qr it’s solid far better than the halo ones I was using before

bigblackshed

Halo make longer Allen key type QR skewers. That’s what I put on Boy1s slot dropout Inbred. He hasn’t managed to destroy them yet.

cookeaa

Is there enough thread engagement? Given the application and probable uncertainty about the material I would want to see at least 2xD.

Shimano QRs are still the best IMO, no need for the pricey ones, they’re normally long enough for most dropouts…

TBH I never found chain tugs bought much to the party when using QRs in horizontal dropouts.

One thing a few people used to do was tap the end of a hollow axle (M6 IIRC?) to a reasonable depth so they could use a hex bolt (and ideally a knurled face washer) on either end to secure the wheel, never bothered myself, but should work and you keep the option of going back to QR should you want to…

mert
    Free Member

Lose the chain tugs, get an XT (Or similar) QR from Shimano and do it up properly.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

2 x SS inbreds , both use chain tugs and normal shimano QR’s .. no issues

alexpalacefan

You could try one of those bolt-up security skewers. In the past I’ve found they have a little extra grunt when SS-ing.
    APF

brant
    Free Member

You only need a chaintug on the driveside.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In theory 5mm thread engagement is enough

@brant – read my mind as if I designed it myself

😜

jonnyrobertson

@brant So why do the Inbreds come with two then? Genuine ignorant numpty question there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Inbred SS QR question’ is closed to new replies.