• This topic has 48 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • inbred chainsuck issues…..?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

has anyone experienced this and how did they cure it..

its not the drivechain being worn as its new..

currently running two spacers drive side and one non drive (external bb)
    what combination of spacers have you tried and whats worked..?

had suck 4 times tonight and its getting annoying not to mention dangerous on the descents at night..

Simon

I had problems with my red 456.
    So I’ve put an indent in the driveside chainstay, like the new blue 456s have.
    I did it with a g-clamp and a bit of wood.

carlphillips
    Free Member

mine is a red 456 also

any chance of some photos to see what you’ve done? sounds drastic!! although the way mine is going the chain will put its own indent in soon

jonb
    Free Member

I had it on my 456 recently after being trouble free.

Replaced the chainring, casette, BB and freewheel which has solved the problem.

Have you got any play in your BB or casette?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

How can a frame cause chainsuck?

I can’t see it personally. I can see how some designs mean the chain has more chance of hitting the stay, but not actually cause the chainsuck in the first place

nukeproof
    Free Member

Here we go 🙄

😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

similar situation as you jonb replaced all and was trouble free for a few weeks, now its back, and im pissed off..

Simon

paulosoxo – Member

Who said it did?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Well Inbred chainsuck issues seems to suggest it’s the frame.

Or else he’d have wrote, deore/xt chainset chainsuck issues.

Maybe

🙂

nukeproof
    Free Member

Drivetrains cause it, frame design and, more specifically, chainring clearance determine if chain is going to wedgy beteen stay and chainrings.

Same problem on my 853 Inbred but plenty of zip ties limit the damage

carlphillips
    Free Member

ok my bad..

i was simply checking to see if i had the correct alignment for my bike so i guessed it may be important to put the frame make in.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

sorry, not having a dig. Just generally interested if certain frames make much of a difference

knottie8
    Free Member

my inbred 456 sucks like whore ! 2nd cable ties to limit damage after “the dent ” has been made.

PJay
    Free Member

I had a spot of bother with ‘suck damaging the chainstay on my 853 Inbred. I tried a few things which seem to have solved the problem one of the stangest sounding was changing my lube; I’d tried Finishline Pro Road which turned out to be messy as anything and going back to my old lube did seem to help things. I’d also heard that some chainsets can suck when new and need a bit of wearing in (I don’t know if this is true or not) and I was getting suck on a new XT chainset, I ended up changing the granny and middle XT aluminium rings to Deore steel ones and that seems to have helped too.

If the chainset and cassette are positioned correctly relative to eachother I can’t see how a frame can cause/promote chainsuck but the extra wide chainstays on the bridgeless stayed Inbreds/456s certain mean more damaging when it happens. I doubt that it’s unique to Inbreds either and I’ve head of people with Pace hardtails, Cove Hummers and other frames suffering a lot of damage.

With all that said if anyone’s found a good anti-chainsuck plate that will fit the Inbred’s bridgeless stays I’d be interested!

julianwilson
    Free Member

to be fair, f-m-h does keep all his bikes equally dirty this is the only one it has ever happened to. And that includes a non-chainsucky blue 456 iirc.

I always though most bikes ‘sucked’ a little in mud and it was whether the outside of the chainstay was close enough to the chainrings that made it noticable and a problem. If the 456 has nice big tyre clearance i suppose the stays might sit further out than other frames.

Or it is cursed. That’s what I told him out riding tonight anyway.

Nobby

Chainsuck webpages as recommended by the late Sheldon Brown.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Artist: Chainsuck
    Song: Big Mistake
    Album: Album Two Nikita Soundtrack

She don’t see his roving eye
    It never roves when it’s on her
    Her friends all look the other way
    And get together to confer
    Someday he might spin around
    To find his only one

I tightened all the knots ’till they were strong
    And gave away the heart where I belong
    I tightened all the knots now they’re too strong
    I wish they would break

She don’t notice that he greets
    Some objects like they have no end
    He’s walking tall and acting smart
    To all of his uneasy friends
    He might put that aura down
    When it’s no longer fun

Lonely’s such a big mistake
    If it’s the only one you ever make
    Lonely’s just a big m

devs
    Free Member

Get chainsuck on my summer season too. Changing down to granny. If I take the power off completely it doesn’t happen but it was all new kit too. I think a dent or ovalisation will occur in my frame soon. Still love it to bits though.

robdob
    Free Member

I had a problem with chainsuck on my 853 inbred and I am glad I sold it, as my brothers frame (853) snapped on the chainstay due to continued problems with chainsuck. The only response I have seen to this problem from Brant suggested he knew about the problem but couldn’t be bothered sorting it out until the most recent Inbreds (so it might be sorted, I don’t know).

Anyway, even though Brant doesn’t work at on-one anymore, I won’t be bothering buying another one, or anything he has designed, as my experience has been so poor. I’ll stick with better tested and researched brands from now on, I haven’t got the money to be someones free testing facility.

robdob
    Free Member

Reading the posts again suggests that the problem hasn’t been sorted out. Oh well. :-/

peajay

I put a ringle anti chainsuck plate on my hummer, no more worries,
    PJ.

PJay
    Free Member

Robdob, are you saying that there is something about the Inbred frame that causes chainsuck then? Like I said earlier I doubt that the frame design can cause chainsuck but I reckon the bridgeless stayed Inbred are more prone to damage when it happens (and I’ve heard of other brands of frame with chainsuck damage issues), I’d personally prefer a bit less mud clearance and a bit more chainring/stay clearance but plenty of frames go for maximum mud clearance. I do remember seeing an 853 Inbred on the old Singletrack forum with a snapped chainstay but that one had the most incredibly mangled stay! I seem to have avoided chainsuck for a year with my steel rings and old lube, so fingers crossed. I might see if I can fit a anti-chainsuck plate for peace of mind though.

In terms of the newer (deep blue) 456s, I do wonder whether the indentation in the stay will make any real difference. On my 853 without the indentation the chain clears that part of the stay relatively well, the real damage gets done at the widest point of the stay as the chain gets ripped up past this point between the elbow of the stay and the big ring.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m Robdob’s brother, as mentioned above.

OK, Frames don’t CAUSE chainsuck, but the design can make it’s consequences worse.
    The first time I had it on my Inbred it jammed the chain between rings and chainstay so hard I had to remove the chainset to get it out, and the chain was wrecked. OK it was muddy, but this was the first instance of it happening and I was only pedalling gently at the bottom of a hill, (Last lap at MM 2007) freewheeling almost, no pressure on the pedals.
    After that I replaced my middle ring at the first sign of chainsuck but the first sign was obviouly too late as this happened. –

To be honest I didn’t realise it was that bad. The worst of it was casued by the chain jamming incident though, and I’d painted over thatas you can see.

I like the frame so I took it to Argos Cycles and explained the problem. They welded a new chainstay in, with a different profile at my request

Now, from that angle it looks like you’ll loose a lot of mud room, but that’s not the case. I reckon it’s only a couple of mm, if anything. This is with a 2.25 tyre fitted. Not much difference is there? but you can clearly see all that fancy shaping on the original stay is, frankly, a waste of time. –

But as you can see here there’s a lot more chainring/chainstay clearance. There was literally about 2mm (a HT2 BB spacer used as a feeler gauge was a snug fit. What are they? 2mm?) between outer ring and stay before, with a correctly set-up HT2 chainset. –

The result of this is that I’ve not had any chainsuck since building the bike. I’ll check the stay if I remember, but I reckon it’ll be just about perfect.

Like I said, a frame won’t cause chainsuck, but this obsession with mud room makes the consquences of it a LOT worse, and as I’ve proved here, it’s only the design of the chainstay that makes the difference. On-Ones are great riding bikes, but this isn’t the only instance of poor design detail they are hampered with, is it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Glad I never brought an inbred as this seems to be a very common and potentially costly issue

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve had four inbreds now and not one has had this issue – one of them has never been anything other than SS so that doesn’t really count but the other 3 were used geared in some horrendous conditions and come to think of it, one year at Mountain Mayhem, I did get pretty bad chainsuck (inbred with slidy dropouts) but it didn’t seem to cause any damage that I recall (and I do check these things).

bunnerscj
    Free Member

This is a problem already identified by Brant – check out other threads but, as someone has already stated, the new blue 456 has an indent on the driveside stay to prevent such things, the problem is compounded by using something other than the regualar 22,32,44 set up, not much you can do, happened to me too, put a dent in it with a G clamp and wood or put up with it as a design fault and wait for the stay to collapse ?
    Not good

ski
    Free Member

I have only had it with my last geared 853 Inbred.

Using all new kit (SRAM X9 & RF Deus crank), first outing, first real climb and bang, chainsuck!

With the old Inbred I had, I thought it had a extra brace across the chainstay, I did wonder if it was due to flexing, as I am not a small lad 😉

Saying that, it only happened the once, and no real damaged caused, nothing like PP catastrophe.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I cut through the DS stay on my red 456 like peterpoddy too. Brant indented the next one he sent out, but I wasn’t fully happy with the size of the dent and enlarged it a little using a ball hammer and a bit of cardboard.

The result is not very pretty paintwork, but functionally far superior.

MrAgreeable

this obsession with mud room

(Last lap at MM 2007) freewheeling almost

Some cliche about cake and eating it would seem appropriate here? 😉

clubber
    Free Member

ski – assume new chain too?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some cliche about cake and eating it would seem appropriate here?

Fair point! It was the ideal bike for the conditions 😀

But I’ve not lost any mudroom to speak of (maybe none), and solved the problem….. What does that say about the original design?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

nothing like PP catastrophe.

LOL!
    It’s only a broken chainstay mate, that’s no catastrophe!
    I was mildly annoyed for about 15 minutes. Bikes break….. Especially when I ride them.
    😀

EDIT – And to be very fair to O-O I was offered a Scandal for £100 as a replacement which I almost felt guilty about! I declined the offer and spent the money at Argos Cycles instead…….
    🙂

ski
    Free Member

Clubber, yep new SRAM chain, you can just make out the scuff in this pic:

Great bike though, wish I had not sold it now 😉

Del

nice colour Peter – got a pic of the full bike?
    how do you find the durability of the finish?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

nice colour Peter – got a pic of the full bike?
    how do you find the durability of the finish?

Thanks!
    🙂

More pics here

The finish is the Aros Cycles high spec 2-pack paint (Epoxy IIRC) and so far seems very tough indeed. I dropped a spanner on the top tube as I was building it up and it didn’t make the slightest mark
    Expensive, though, but you get what you pay for.
    🙂

nukeproof
    Free Member

Chalk and cheese response from the brothers there: one will never buy O-O again due to Brant being a poor designer and the other spends well over what the frame was worth undamaged getting it fixed and re-sprayed! Did you fight a lot as kids? 😉

PJay
    Free Member

This is a problem already identified by Brant

I wasn’t aware that it was an know problem with the frames (again it’s the ‘do frames cause chainsuck?’ issue), they’re certainly very suceptible to damage when chainsuck occurs, and personally I’d prefer less mud room and more stay/ring clearnace (but that’s a personal choice) but I’ve heard of Pace frames and Cover Hummers (and I’m sure that there are others) being badly damaged by chainsuck so it’s not soley an Inbred issue.

carlphillips
    Free Member

does anyone care to post some pics of where to put this indent..? then i may go try it..!!

nukeproof
    Free Member

does anyone care to post some pics of where to put this indent..?

Well, the new 456 frame’s indent looks like this…

robdob
    Free Member

Nukeproof – actually we did!! I think we both agreed that it was a great frame marred by a simple but eventually fatal design flaw. I sold my complete bike to fund my Spesh Pitch Pro. I can’t afford two bikes so it had to go, but on stripping it to rebuild for sale I found mine was damaged too. My brother rides waaaaaay more than me and has a bit more cash. I think what he did is the perfect solution and the total cost is still pretty low for a good 853 frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘inbred chainsuck issues…..?’ is closed to new replies.