• This topic has 48 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • inbred chainsuck issues…..?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers, i may try to do that, firstly I’m going to check my chain length and maybe take a link out see if that helps. then I’ll attack with the G clamp..

cheers all

Simon

This is a pic of my 456 after I attacked it with a g-clamp to put the indent in the chainstay.
    It’s not pretty, the paint damage was done in one ride by the chain jamming between the rings and the chainstay, probably not helped by running a 24t granny and 36t middle ring.
    Now running 22t granny (new), 36t middle (same as before) and there’s been no jamming since the modification.
    I really must rub it down and get some paint on it at some point. 😕

Love riding it, it’s the best hardtail I’ve had.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thought I’d stopped mine when I realised that the Allen key bolts in my chainset weren’t very tignt but it happened again and after a bit of a clicking round in time with crank rotations, a new chainset was fitted (been in my stock since the CRC flood sale!) and it didn’t happen on last nights ride around Ladybower & Derwent.

Conclusion, crap FSA BB

carlphillips
    Free Member

ive took a link out of chain, and applied tie wrap protectors, will see how it goes.
    chain rings are tight (and new) chain is new cassette is new, so what exactly does that indent do..just lessen the damage done when CS occurs?

Simon

The indent just means if the chain sticks to the chainrings it wont get jammed against the chainstay.

carlphillips
    Free Member

and structurally how does the indent affect the stay?

Simon

Hopefully not at all 😆
    Read this from the On-One site, Brant sort of okayed it, I think 😕

jonb
    Free Member

Forgot to add, the other thing I did was significantly shorten the chain so it can just go round the two biggest rings at the same time. I figure less chain reduces the chances of chain suck?

PJay
    Free Member

As someone said earlier, preventing ‘suck is better than limiting its damage but I suspect that the indent gives more clearance in a vulnerable area (that area on my 853 is now heavily armoured with innertube, webbing and zipties). If the old bridgeless stayed Inbreds are identical to the newer deep blue 456s except for the indent then it again is suggests that there’s nothing ‘odd’ about the frames that promotes chainsuck, it’s just that they’re more vulnerable to damage if it occurs. I’m sure that Inbreds aren’t the only frames that have suffered chainsuck damage.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘inbred chainsuck issues…..?’ is closed to new replies.