Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • in school, no kids to teach
  • anagallis_arvensis

and I’m bored.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did you bring some games in with you?

Harry_the_Spider

Are they on strike?

anagallis_arvensis

we have year 10 and year 12 in but I dont teach any of them today. I have played a couple of games of fifa soccer in the 6th form common room and will claim I was mentoring memebers of my tutor group.

uplink
    Free Member

Have you thought of reading the papers?

MartinGT
    Free Member

Why dont you prepare, apparently thats all you teachers do according to those on strike in London 🙄

Pook

Or do some of your mountain of paperwork that eats into your spare time and holidays? 😉

anagallis_arvensis

I’m trying to write a scheme of work but really cannot focus for some reason

ciderinsport
    Free Member

My kids have fleeced me and gone shopping 😈 Not a normal school day….

Feels like I am topping up the pension fund 😉

binners

Go for a fag behind the bike sheds then vandalise the toilets.

Could you not get any willing volunteers for a spot of ‘fingers and tops’

ridingscared
    Free Member

try doing some of that prep and marking you all claim you need 20 weeks holiday and 7 hour working days to do? Or volunteer to provide childcare to those who have to book a day off work to cover.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

My wife wanted to go on strike, but open the village hall for a “celebration of the right to unionise day” for school children, run by and paid for by the teaching staff.

All got political though so it didn’t happen.

Consequently she’s not on strike (only because of the impact she knew it would have on parents), but quite conflicted over it.

Good luck to all the strikers I say.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    and I’m bored.

take one less inset day then

freddyg
    Free Member

You could always come to our village school to teach my kids – my missus has had to take a day of unpaid leave as her office wouldn’t allow her to take the time as holiday. I’m working 220 miles away so couldn’t cover it either. 😐

TooTall
    Free Member

We’ve had the most feeble of picket lines outside today – and they have all poked off now anyway. I asked where my most militant of colleagues was today – he has taken flexi but has every sympathy with those striking.
    He may get a raft of abuse for that one tomorrow.

jon1973
    Free Member

You could always come to our village school to teach my kids – my missus has had to take a day of unpaid leave as her office wouldn’t allow her to take the time as holiday. I’m working 220 miles away so couldn’t cover it either.

I understand it’s difficult, but kids get ill every now and then don’t they? so surely you need to be prepared for your children being off school, and if you need to take unpaid leave then that’s one of the drawbacks of being a parent I guess.

donsimon
    Free Member

Feel the love. 😉

LsD
    Free Member

DW

You know it makes sense…………

jon1973
    Free Member

DW

😆

now there’s a challenge.

aracer
    Free Member

I understand it’s difficult, but kids get ill every now and then don’t they? so surely you need to be prepared for your children being off school, and if you need to take unpaid leave then that’s one of the drawbacks of being a parent I guess.

So next time his kids are ill, he should send them in as his wife’s already taken the day off for that?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Go for a fag behind the bike sheds

Far more fun to go for a ride behind the tobacconists, I feel.

jon1973
    Free Member

So next time his kids are ill, he should send them in as his wife’s already taken the day off for that?

Are kids only allowed one sick day a year then? what whould they do if the kids were sick for a whole week?

I’m saying that if you have kids, you will need to take time off every now and then, so I don’t see why one strike day seems as such a disaster for working parents.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Public sector workers, huh!

They should accept what they get and not inconvenience others, lazy ****, hey.

maxray
    Free Member

I wonder if the private sector will be striking to save the thousands of job cuts at Lloyds?.. oh no thought not.

Ooh look the binmen have had a similar pay freeze/pension issue to the teachers too!.. Oh hang on they are not on strike either!

🙄

jon1973
    Free Member

Oh hang on they are not on strike either!

Give it time.

joao3v16
    Free Member

isn’t there an ‘in-service training day’ on Friday too?

nice long weekend off for the teachers …

freddyg
    Free Member

I’m saying that if you have kids, you will need to take time off every now and then, so [/i]I don’t see why one strike day seems as such a disaster for working parents.

… because it is coming out of my pocket??

ridingscared
    Free Member

I’m saying that if you have kids, you will need to take time off every now and then, so I don’t see why one strike day seems as such a disaster for working parents

Clearly has no children. I’ll still have to take time off if my kids are ill plus take a day today.

The original thread starter sums up the majority of teachers and is the reason why they get little in the way of non-teacher support from parents, we know that its almost a part time job with full time pay, we don’t buy this ‘I do lots of marking in my own time’ shit and we know that inset days are booked with the sole reason of a slow start back after holidays. Work 8 hours a day , 5 days a week 47 weeks a year then moan about conditions – until then get back to the classroom and quit whining.

jon1973
    Free Member

… because it is coming out of my pocket??

I suspect the teachers are feeling the same way, both with respect to a days lost pay and the pension issue.

Peyote
    Free Member

The original thread starter sums up the majority of teachers and is the reason why they get little in the way of non-teacher support from parents, we know that its almost a part time job with full time pay, we don’t buy this ‘I do lots of marking in my own time’ shit and we know that inset days are booked with the sole reason of a slow start back after holidays. Work 8 hours a day , 5 days a week 47 weeks a year then moan about conditions – until then get back to the classroom and quit whining.

Quality post! Love the stereotyping in it especially!

I’m a non-teacher and a parent, I fully support the striking teachers. It seems that there are a lot of people out there with similar sympathies too.

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect the teachers are feeling the same way, both with respect to a days lost pay

At least they had a choice with that one. I’m very confident that more non-teachers than teachers are losing a day’s pay due to the strike – they’re “supporting” the strike whether they like it or not.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

On a more serious note me and my wife are both nurses so once the govt have finished with teachers et al it will be our turn. Reckon on £200 per month worse off if pension reform goes through on top of our 2 year pay freeze and possible increment freezes.

Think we will either have to come out of our pensions and hope the state can provide when we retire or jack it all in and do something else.

We are both hard working and caring and don’t do the job just for the money ( both came from better paid jobs) but with all the added stresses put on us all the time I think we might burn out long before we would get our pensions.

Obviously most folk on here will just consider us lazy, workshy, overpaid and overpensioned but hey ho.

jon1973
    Free Member

At least they had a choice with that one.

They didn’t have a choice about their pensions being cut.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Go on then ridingscared, give us a laugh, what essential yet undervalued job do you do?

Markie
    Free Member

I’m amazed Elfin and Ernie haven’t jumped in on this one…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Markie – Member
    I’m amazed Elfin and Ernie haven’t jumped in on this one…

Can’t be postin’ from da barricades, Comrade!

ianv
    Free Member

I wonder if the private sector will be striking to save the thousands of job cuts at Lloyds?.. oh no thought not.

Its not the teachers fault if workers in the private sector don’t have the stomach to make a stand against stuff that affects them.

Ooh look the binmen have had a similar pay freeze/pension issue to the teachers too!.. Oh hang on they are not on strike either!

I’m pretty sure they will be once they get balloted.

crispo
    Free Member

A lot of the private sector are implementing pay freezes, most of them have scrapped final salary pensions so its not like its only happening in the public sector.

I have sympathy for people who have to change their future plans but from what I can see the country is in a bit of a state at the moment and trying to hold the government to ransom is just going to pass on the shortfall to a different bit of government spending, or put taxes up more surely?

binners

dangerousbeans is absolutely on the money. What the government are doing here is good old full-blooded Thatcherism. They’re merely testing the waters with the teachers.

If they pull this one off ok, then it’ll be absolute open season on the pensions and working conditions of everyone in the public sector

Nice to see the Thatcherite ‘divide and conquer’ philosophy is still going well. Witht he full weight of the right wing/Murdoch press machine in government support mode. I really did think most people, with anything between their ears, would have seen through that one by now

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m a non-teacher and a parent

Me too – I think they are a bunch of back-sliding work dodgers who have no idea how lucky they are to have any job and any career progression and any chance of a pension. The country is broke, the current system is unsustainable and something had to give.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘in school, no kids to teach’ is closed to new replies.