Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • in school, no kids to teach
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

not too keen on kids.

I’m sure someone as talented as you could adapt, after all it’s a small discomfort, after all you hardly ever have to see them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well you probably won’t understand but I’ll say it anyway.
    Because our prison regime has been interrupted today because of the strike, me & Rob (my colleague for today) have had 50 prisoners out on the landing all day on association. (27 are on methodone & therefore can be somewhat ‘demanding’) but do we strike? Oh no, we just get on with it & accept our pensions are gonna get f**ked over.
    I joined the prison service because I (wrongly) thought it would be a secure (pardon the pun) job with a decent government pension. How wrong I was. I’m now looking forward to rolling around on the floor with varying degrees of scumbags till I’m 66 with a reduced pension. Wish I’d stayed on the council, I’d have had 39 years in now.
    (Lets see who answers that one.)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh no, we just get on with it & accept our pensions are gonna get f**ked over.

Maybe you shouldn’t

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dangerousbeans
    Free Member

So you’re suggesting that whatever happens everyone should just roll over and get shafted without a grumble?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well Charlie & Beans, your’e right, we shouldn’t, but we aren’t ‘allowed’ to strike.
    The Army are trained up to a certain degree in case we do though. Can’t wait to see that one.

donsimon
    Free Member

I joined the prison service because I (wrongly) thought it would be a secure (pardon the pun) job with a decent government pension

I’ll probably get a ban for this, but what the hell!
    Didn’t you join the prison service to make a difference? To do something with a higher reward than money alone?
    I do know who Maslow is and neither teachers nor many public servants are nor will be on the breadline.
    Balls of steel me.

binners

Didn’t you join the prison service to make a difference? To do something with a higher reward than money alone?

I didn’t start my job to make a difference? To do something with a higher reward than money alone?

i imagine accountants don’t do their job to make a difference? To do something with a higher reward than money alone?

Do wheel clampers do their job to make a difference? To do something with a higher reward than money alone?

why is it different rules should apply for the public sector?

donsimon
    Free Member

Because I always believed that teachers took the more vocational approach, much like the firefighters, nurses, doctors etc.
    That certain groups wanted the less risky option of steady work and reasonable pension to higher risk and higher reward.
    And that accountants were money grabbing heartless b**tards.
    I hadn’t realised that there was a third option of low risk, job for life, AND good pension.
    My mistake, sorry.
    No want ban.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Definately, I remember being ridiculed as an OSG at Frankland for saying something on the lines of ‘if I can help someone along the way’.
    Didn’t expect get shafted on the way, & more importantly, you know sweet F/A about my personal/financial circumstances.
    Besides, doctors, nurses (my Mrs) firefighters etc don’t just do the job ‘to make a difference’ they also expect the financial rewards & job security.
    I think your’e getting confused with missionaries.

donsimon
    Free Member

you know sweet F/A about my personal/financial circumstances.

Clearly I don’t, but you appear to be intelligent enough to have made rational decisions. As binners has stated that wheel clampers don’t do there jobs for bettering of their fellow human beings, they do it because it’s all they can do, which is sad.
    If you want me to guess about your decisions for working, give me a hand, tell me. I’ve already posted my income up on another thread.

donsimon
    Free Member

Different players, same opinions.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ok Don, are you sitting comfortably? Life story coming up.
    Left school at 15, started work as an apprentice fitter with council. Left after 6 years to go self employed with ma & pa in petrol station (see other thread about diesel) Supermarkets come along, i go out of business (along with a 10k debt which I pay off over 5 years) & a failed marriage to wife who doesn’t want to work in business. By now I’m 47. opportunity in prison service comes along & I join as an OSG then progress 3 years later as officer. It’s just about all I can do to make decent money & government pension with any decent qualifications.
    So I’ve worked solid for 39 years & paid all my taxes & NI contributions.
    What your income has to do with anything is beyond me.
    I bet your’e happy I fu**ed now eh?
    I’m off to bed, got 50 needy lads to see to tomorrow. 😉

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock,

Wasn’t a criticism of you just of what you seemed to say. Me and my wife are both nurses so in the same no strike boat as you. I ust hope that these strikes will have positive benefit for us really.

Peyote
    Free Member

I accept that the relatively large pensions for the public sector cannot be sustained.

Well, this is were we differ. I don’t accept that, I think it’s posturing and spin.

It is rubbish, but I really can’t see another way of reducing spending (other than raising taxes, but that is the same end result). The view that ‘the rich can pay’ assumes that there are loads of rich people wallowing in pots of cash. There aren’t as a percentage of the total population.

True, but there are still many untapped sources of money out there that are more deserving of being tapped than teachers (and other public sector workers who are/will be in the firing line)

I suppose you think the NHS is fine as it is as well?

I don’t think I know enough about it to comment yet. However if this issue is anything to go by, I’d be willing to bet the situation isn’t half as bad as some would like to make out.

anagallis_arvensis

I accept that the relatively large pensions for the public sector cannot be sustained.

Well, this is were we differ. I don’t accept that, I think it’s posturing and spin.

pensions are projected to cost less as a proportion of GDP in the future if they are kept at current levels which suggests they are sustainable broadly speaking.

anyway Sports day today no kids to teach…whoop whoop

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

@esselgruntfuttock

I’ve got no idea how you are going to maintain your pay/pension over the coming years, but you are doing an important job that I (and probably most on here) would not want to do, so good luck to you.

@don simon

wheel clampers don’t do there jobs for bettering of their fellow human beings, they do it because it’s all they can do, which is sad.

I agree with you that it is sad, but totally disagree that “it is all that they can do” – it might well be all that is available in this crappy money grabbing society we live in, but that is different. Just to go with the wheelclamping example, who are the wheelclamping companies run by? Money grabbing businessmen or crooks I’d say, who are prepared to and are allowed to manipulate their workforce (OK, some of them I’m sure are already fairly well down the line towards criminality anyway), but this is the flipside of the drive for “efficiency” and “productivity” – you get some firm that only sees the bottom line, thinks that it would be great to get a few quid in from the wheelclampers for practicing extortion on their property and all of a sudden society ratchets another notch down in the race to the bottom. We’d all be a lot better off if we thought more about quality of life and paid people properly to provide proper services instead of spending all our money on (non)essentials like Sky TV, plasma screens, new mobile phones every year, processed food, shit clothes from New Look, shit furniture from IKEA etc etc…..Grrrrrrrrrr……..

Lifer
    Free Member

Public sector pensions unsustainable?

Public sector pension cost to peak next year

Previous reforms mean that the cost will peak next year and then begin to fall.

Public sector pensions ‘Gold Plated’?

The Commission firmly rejected the claim that current public service pensions are ‘gold plated.’

Hutton Report Page 26

Scamper
    Free Member

Nice simple article for people like me, who know bugger all about the Pensions issue. However, plenty of stats there equally suggest pensions are not totally affordable, if not on the cliff edge.

Interesting how some view the whole issue as ideological, when Hutton used to be a Labour minister, didn’t he?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Interesting how some view the whole issue as ideological, when Hutton used to be a Labour minister, didn’t he?

The Govt isn’t following the Hutton advice (for ideological reasons) – that’s the point.

miketually
    Free Member

Annual cost of public sector pensions: £4bn
    Annual cost of tax relief on pension contributions for richest 1% of population: £10bn

Tax relief on contributions over £150k has already been reduced to basic rate, but scrapping all tax relief on contributions over £50k would save a fortune.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

@miketually,

What a fantastic stat.

I think that just about closes down any argument about public sector pensions by itself

Where does it come from?

miketually
    Free Member

Where does it come from?

Just word of mouth yesterday, but from a source that knows his stuff. I’m going to try to track down the source today.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I mena the £10 billion bit BTW – the £4 billion is wrong (£33 billion according to Hutton)

donsimon
    Free Member

Two wrongs apparently do make a right. Whadyaknow?

duckman

Your parents having sex and making you shows that is not the case. 😆

miketually
    Free Member

The £4bn figure:

Another way of looking at the cost of pensions is known as the “net public service pensions” net public service pension cost. It is the difference between benefits paid out to today’s pensioners from unfunded schemes and current contributions paid by current staff. In the current financial year this is estimated to be £4.1 billion or about 0.3% of GDP.

http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/publicsectorpensions.pdf

TooTall
    Free Member

The Army are trained up to a certain degree in case we do though. Can’t wait to see that one.

The firemen were saying that when they went on strike. The Armed Forces did a rather good job and pretty well proved the point that the fire service wasn’t as slick as it said it was.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Ah OK

@don simon,

The question in my mind is, is the money NEEDED elsewhere. In other words, when striking the balance between all of the things the Govt spends money on, what is essential and what isn’t?

The Govt has chosen to prioritise the teachers’ pensions as an area for saving money. I think that stat shows that they have got their priorities wrong, and maybe it would be better (if we really do NEED to make these savings) to start with tax relief for the rich on money that they won’t even be spending until their retirement, ahead of taking money out of the pockets of public servants right now.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The Armed Forces did a rather good job and pretty well proved the point that the fire service wasn’t as slick as it said it was.

Good job the armed forces are just sitting round on their arses doing nothing and waiting to jump in then isn’t it?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Teachers strike leads to death of child!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-13987822

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Taechers’ strike leads to increase in trolling!

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘in school, no kids to teach’ is closed to new replies.