Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Importing from the EU post Brexit
  • ganic
    Free Member

Does anyone know the rules for buying something over the £135 value from an EU seller following Brexit?

I dont think import duties apply, but where do you pay VAT? The EU sellers price includes VAT, so im assuming i dont pay it again on import?

At least the NHS is getting an £350M a day though.

mrmo
    Free Member

I’ll keep this simple, you may be hit for duty, Rules of Origin apply, you will be hit for VAT and you will pay the courier a handling fee.

If the seller is quoting VAT, their VAT, it is irrelevant. Ask them for an Ex Vat price. The courier will advise you of what extra you owe before giving you the goods.

The details are horrifically complicated.

kelvin

I dont think import duties apply

Depends on what it is, and where it’s made.

but where do you pay VAT?

It’s up to the seller.. they can collect the UK VAT for you, and forward it to HMRC. What ever you do… make sure you’re not paying their local VAT.

If they don’t collect the UK VAT and/or you have tariffs to pay, you’ll get an additional fixed charge on top of all that by whoever collects the VAT and/or tariff from you on HMRC’s behalf, eg the courier.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If they don’t collect the UK VAT and/or you have tariffs to pay, you’ll get an additional fixed charge on top of all that by whoever collects the VAT and/or tariff from you on HMRC’s behalf, eg the courier.

You’ll probably get a fixed cost even if there is no vat or duty to pay as it still has to be cleared and declared at this end, which isn’t free.

Commercialy we’re paying about £35 per import including up to 3 commodity codes, £8 per code there after. None of the things were bringing in at that are liable for duty, vat we’re dealing with separately.

kelvin

Yes, someone has to pay it… some EU sellers are paying VAT + Tariff + charges “for” UK sellers, and putting their prices up to cover it.. to give UK buyers a “what you see is what you get” price/cost.

I should have just said “it depends” and run away…

solarider
    Free Member

You might be lucky and save the local VAT and not get stung in the UK (this happened to me). You might be unlucky and pay the local VAT plus get stung for VAT, Duty and Fees on import (this also happened to me). You might be really unlucky and have your parcel stuck in customs and going nowhere (this also happened to me). So far there doesn’t seem to be much consistency, but in theory you should save the local VAT, pay the UK VAT, Duty and usually a fee for the privilege.

But you can now have a blue passport…….

vinnyeh

Real world example here- I bought a recon wahoo trainer the other day, £599, same price it’s been for a long time. Didn’t realise it at the time, but it ships from Netherlands. Aside from what looks like a couple of days extra in transit, there was no change to last year, and no extra costs (shipped with TNT).
    So, if companies have got their shit together, it looks like they will sort out vat and duty, and you will just make one payment, at point of purchase.
    Of course, loads of companies won’t be sorted out, for loads of valid reasons. Just saying that it can be painless for the consumer,

mrmo
    Free Member

vinnyeh, who did you use? might be helpful to know which companies are shipping.

vinnyeh

ordered from wahoo, all their uk orders ship from a netherlands warehouse.

kelvin

Is it still £599 on their website now?

nickclift
    Free Member

Ordered a Propain Tyee in October(from Germany), due for delivery in Feb. Propain have emailed to say they are refunding me the VAT, and I must pay this locally when bike lands in the UK.
    I used this on line calculator to see what I’m likely to pay ‘locally’;
    http://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/
    Looks like I will be charged pretty much the same as the original VAT content.

Sui
    Free Member

if the comapny is regsitered in the UK with VAT, they are likely advertising the delivered price for you, hey will be doing their own clearing in this respect. If you are buying from the EU, they should be charging you pre-VAT prices as already stated by others. It’s still pot luck which gets picked up at the ports at the moment, my comapny is having a right mare, despite the oodles of registrations [for schemes etc] i made last year, i’ve made another 5 this week alone to try and resolve problems casued entirely by HMRC’s omplete inability to know what they should be telling Uk business to do… they’re t55ers of the highest order.

You only have to read the frankly daft “Percy Pig” issue on the BBC – half the time it’s better to not claim origin prefernce and just lump the tariff to avoid the paperwork delays and fees..

wzzzz
    Free Member

Ordered a Propain Tyee in October(from Germany), due for delivery in Feb. Propain have emailed to say they are refunding me the VAT, and I must pay this locally when bike lands in the UK.
    I used this on line calculator to see what I’m likely to pay ‘locally’;
    http://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/
    Looks like I will be charged pretty much the same as the original VAT content.

And if Propain (or whoever they use to ship the bike) register with HMRC ahead of time, they can pre-pay the UK VAT for you and you won’t pay a processing fee or get held up in the UK.

Fedex has offered this service for years for USA-UK transactions.

German VAT is 19% UK is 20%

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Importing from the EU post Brexit’ is closed to new replies.