Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • I’m trying to talk myself out of a gravel bike but…
  • Alex

.. I really like a few of the current models. My 7 year old Boardman CX lives on the turbo tho. It’s done 1000s of KM on there and about 400km in the real world. I do live 20 mins from some okay woods that occasionally I’ll take the Solaris too, but I keep telling myself if I had a ‘gravel’ – whatever that is – bike I’d do loads of exploring.

Mainly it’s because I really like the look of

NukeProof Digger
    Ribble CGR – Steel
    Raleigh Mustang (just for old times sake)
    And the new Akrose..

It’d be absolutely fantastic if you could talk me out of this stupid idea, and then I’d a) save a load of cash and b) stop wasting my time reading reviews!

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, well here is what I think:

Why not buy a light MTB and do some proper off road exploring, or a decent road bike for some proper road riding.

A gravel bike is a compromise, so its poor at either type of riding. Its will disappoint you on the road and off road.

To me, all the gravel bikes I’ve looked at seem to be HT Mtb with skinny tyres and drops. Bit like MTB’s used to be 10 years ago (apart from the drops, which are a hindrance off road)

If you have to have a compromise, make it just one compromise, not two. A Gravel bike is just two compromises.

mm93
    Free Member

But- a gravel bike is better on the roads than a mountain bike and better off road than a road bike. It’s win win 😁

Alex

All good points. I don’t think I want another HT tho, I could just ride the Solaris. It’s probably just a case of the winter ‘I want’ which’ll go away once everything dries out.

Having said all that, I’d definitely give that ribble shed-room 🙂

breadcrumb

I bought a gravel bike coming up four years ago. It’s seen gravel a couple of times, but sees rough back lanes on my commute to work that would ruin a road bike. It also has room for proper guards and a pannier rack if I desire too.

funkmasterp

I’d just stick with the Solaris. I had a NS RAG for a while and it was good, but not as good as a HT. Can’t speak for the road though as I have no interest in road bikes. When it comes to off road, even mild off road, a HT is always better imo.

jameso

A gravel bike is a compromise, so its poor at either type of riding. Its will disappoint you on the road and off road.

It’s only a compromise if you see riding as either Road or MTB, rather than just riding. The thing I liked about the first ‘gravel’ bike I had was that I could ride the lanes without worrying about how poorly 25cs handle bad road surfaces, plus I could use byways that would be dull on an MTB and don’t lead to any MTB trails to link those nice roads, skipping the busy unpleasant roads. So for me, a gravel bike makes a far better road bike. They’re rubbish on proper MTB trails but fun enough on byways, the Ridgeway, etc. I don’t even bother riding my proper road bike now unless it’s a few fast hours on a nice summer day.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

JFDI Alex…

trumpton
    Free Member

this is the wrong site for trying to talk yourself out of a gravel bike. Everyone has got one.

Alex

Thank Nick 🙂

The point JamesO makes sort of sums it up for me. I’ve no interest in straight road riding. The roads around me are terrible, and when I did have a road bike (for commuting to the station) it scared the whatsit out of me.

I rode my brother’s Mason (not sure which one) with 40mm tyres and I thought it was fantastic fun. Felt more like a MTB and I could just head off down any bridleway that looked interesting. That’s way out of my budget tho.

There are days when I just want to ride. I don’t like riding MTB on my own really but can happily pootle about around here in the spring/summer/autumn as it’s just a fantastic place to be outside in.

I do remember riding the CX off road. It was involving but you did have to pick your trails…

PJay
    Free Member

Perhaps, but only really if going absolutely as fast as possible in separate disciplines is your thing. Some folk like to cover both in a single ride and gravel bikes are designed for this (or do you have a support vehicle and trailer allowing you to swap bikes at appropriate points in the ride?).

Perhaps the correct answer is a mountain bike (for off-road), a road bike (for road riding) and a gravel bike (for gravelling); however as a dedicated pootler with limited resources I’m quite happy doing everything on my rather portly Singular Swift (I sometimes do the shopping on it too). I am however regularly overtaken by more committed types on more appropriate hardware.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Whenever I ride the “gravel” cx thing it makes a lot of sense for what I use it for. If I ride the mtb, I stick it in the car and ride trails, but the gravel tool is quite happy riding on the road to the trails.

On the road, in the winter filth I often think back to how I used to do the road 23c thing, avoiding holes, grit, crap and worrying about lack of grip. No more the worry with my 43c “gravel” rubber as it’s just like the mtbs I grew up with. I would not want to go back to riding crap roads on thin tyres – maybe faster ultimately but who really cares?

Off road I find them fun in a different way to mtb. Takes a few mins to adjust and then, you’ve guessed it, it’s back to the eighties and early nineties mtbs I grew up with.

It depends where you live, what you want, what speed you expect to ride stuff, but i like ‘em.

survivor

I was tempted a few years back but came to the conclusion that a rigid 29er was a better bet.

Glad I did. I use it all the time for bumpy commuting, bridleways, railways paths and all day xc exploring.

Have a look around. Some lovely options at the moment

aP
    Free Member

The Sundat riding were doing at the moment is between 50-80 miles on mix of road and off-road. We both have drop bar 650b bikes which suit us and have also ridden road and off road multiday bikepacking events on them. I haven’t ridden my best road bike since May 2017.

ta11pau1

I can see the point of a gravel bike for riding everything below mtb trails – single track roads, bridleways, towpaths etc.

I’ve got zero interest in road riding, I try and avoid roads when possible on the mtb.

Round me there’s very little riding that needs an mtb without driving, but I’ll probably go the other way and build a lightweight hardtail with a 150mm fork that I can swap the wheels and post to save a few kg of weight/rolling resistance.

Question is, how much faster on gravel is a gravel bike vs a 22/23lb hardtail with 2.2″ XC tyres?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Thank Nick 🙂

Anytime! 😊

I’m tempted myself.. so very keen to see how this pans out.

jameso

how much faster on gravel is a gravel bike vs a 22/23lb hardtail with 2.2″ XC tyres?

On ‘UK gravel’ byways and tracks etc I reckon an XC or rigid 29er will be faster, if the ride is more than a couple of hours at least. A gravel bike can be rapid but you’ll be beat up soon enough if the ground isn’t really smooth.
    My quickest rides along the Ridgeway end to end have been on a 29er, I’ve done it at a fair rate on the gravel bike and it wasn’t that pleasant – wasn’t enough tarmac to justify using it but was a good test. 29er or gravel bike, it just depends what proportion of the ride is on road or what mood I’m in. Gravel bikes are good for riding a load of miles out+back just to ride a few miles of great byways that are further from home than the usual range of the 29er.

corroded
    Free Member

I ride my gravel bike throughout November to April. It’s too muddy for the MTB and it’s just better on winter lanes than the road bike. It’s pretty much indispensable. I do a lot of recon for new trails that I later visit on the MTB and it keeps me fit for spring. I think more and more road riding is heading into mixed terrain with wider tyres, disc brakes, relaxed geometry and low weight. Go for it.

tommyhine

I love mine, ride from home to the canal, 4 miles down the canal to the country park. followed by loads of trails that are pretty soft for an MTB (but with options for some more testing stuff) through the other side onto cycle paths and a quickish blast back home for about 5 miles. all quick enjoyable on a ‘gravel bike’ (i’ve just got the cheap dark peak from calibre) and a proper bike ride on a lot of different surfaces. It also does the station commute brilliantly, nipping to the shops is great.
    I am dreaming about getting a better one though but i love it.

onehundredthidiot

I was on my fs today and did some steep muddy stuff at bowhill tomorrow I’ll do 8miles with the Mrs on my gravel bike then peel off and come home via forest roads and a disused railway, probably 15miles, it’s all fun.

thecolourblue
    Free Member

Trekking style hybrid does it all, a useful compromise bike, usually cheaper too. Gravel bikes are just reinventing a busted wheel. BITD nineties xc bikes aped roadbikes and consequently were rubbish off road as heads down bum up with a long stem leads to twitchy unstable bikes but fast. Gravel bikes are the same but approached from the other side, evolutionary dead end.

RustySpanner

It’s only a compromise if you see riding as either Road or MTB, rather than just riding.

Spot on.

They’re just the perfect all rounder.

I have a Disc Trucker, more of a heavy tourer and Mrs S has an AWOL.

They both get ridden far more than the MTB’s or road bikes.

The evolution of the true all rounder.
    And fun, pure and simple.

If you obsess over weight or ultimate performance then definitely not for you. If you like riding bikes just for the sheer hell of it, pretty much anywhere you like, then go for it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d want a gravel bike that could take at least 45mm tyres, which is a criteria that seems to becoming more common. There’s even the odd one like Salsa Cutthroats that can take 2.35″ tyres.

On the road, the more upright position on my Voodoo Wazoo using the 29er wheelset will throw away plenty of Watts due to the extra aero drag, but off road it will cope far better as the terrain gets more gnarly.

It’s all about the balance of how far you plan to ride and where you will be riding.

dudeofdoom

But- a gravel bike is better on the roads than a mountain bike and better off road than a road bike. It’s win win 😁

Tbh road bikes on British roads are grim, a gravel bikes just going back to something that can take more than versatile tyre size road bikes are the niche thing 🙂

Anyway Planet X space chicken 650b and a free bikepacking kit for 1500ishvnot bad for force groupset an carbon.

(I did say a grand before but i must have dreamt that price)

kcr
    Free Member

What is the “gravel” bike going to do that your Boardman CX can’t?

nuke

As a tester for deciding on whether to get a gravel bike i took my Scandal 29er, stuck carbon rigid forks, flat bar with bar ends and 1.75″ VeeRubber Rail tyres…i love it and it does way more miles than any other bike but the caveat i suppose is i get no pleasure from road cycling so it only really gets road miles linking up the offroad bits, mostly in winter when certain offroad bits are to boggy to want to be bothered with. Saying that, with the bias been strongly for the offroad, i have swapped back to Racing Ralphs for a bit more comfort & grip.

Maybe try it with the Solaris?

Alex

I’m not sure after reading this thread, I’m not much less convinced. I’d rather ride the Solaris than a rigid 29er. If I’m going to buy something I want it to be properly different. As for it being a bit of a throwback to MTBs of the 90s.. well I quite liked those bikes… not sure I’d like them now tho..

Alex

What is the “gravel” bike going to do that your Boardman CX can’t?

Not much. I’d like Hydro’s but otherwise it’s basically a love of the shiny 😉

MoreCashThanDash

The steel CGR is a thing of beauty, but I’m getting in an early order for the new Arkrose D3 to replace my 5 year old original Arkrose, which has done getting on for 10,000 miles, from local bridleways I used to ride on my hard tail to 200 mile audax events.

The new version, with more tyre clearance including 650B wheels, proper axles, and sub compact gearing makes it pretty much perfect to me!

trumpton
    Free Member

I ride easy xc and paths on my rigid 1992 Marin bike. Probably not as fast as a gravel bike, but so much fun.

13thfloormonk

Plenty of good arguments for and against, all I know is that I have a lightweight 29er set up for CX racing and Gravel (so… I change the tyres and take the bar ends on or off the chopped down flat bars).

Point being, I’m still craving a proper gravel bike, I really miss the positions offered by drop bars, and possibly the lower weight.

But I agree with JamesO, not sure I’d part with the suspension forks, the gravel routes I’ve got planned in Scotland aren’t short on stones rather than gravel, not to mention massive puddles.

superstu
    Free Member

Rigid 29r would be my preference, something genuinely different (geometry wise)from your Solaris…pinnacle ramin, karate monkey, Genesis longitude. I tried a gravel bike but didn’t find it great to be honest, but obviously attractive for a number of people.

Alex

Yeah there’s good reasons both ways, or not at all. Good discussion tho. Co-incidentally I’m looking for a 2019 challenge and the off-road Wales C2C has been mentioned. Did the trans-cumbrian in 2017 and I reckon that would have been find on a cx/gravel bike.

Hello Solution, looking for a problem 🙂

monkeyboyjc

Just my 5c…..
    I hate being on a road ride and seeing a bridal way and not being able to go down it, so I built a ‘gravel bike’ a few years back. I wouldnt have a road bike now. It just gives more options, road, canal path, byway, bridleway.

I’ll be out on mine tomorrow…..

spooky_b329

Love mine, its fast enough on road to not be a chore, its at home on rough lanes/bridleways, but the best bit is where I would ride round the claggy South Downs on my MTB and end up slithering all over the place and bringing 5kg of mud home with me, the gravel bike just cuts through it all so its faster and lighter in the mud, and more exciting too.

Last ride I stuck it in the car and drove out somewhere with my wife, then rode home taking in some gravel bridleway, road, a steep slushy climb up a lane, and then mud, snow and a tarmac finish. Enjoyed it all 🙂

hardtailonly

ride round the claggy South Downs on my MTB and end up slithering all over the place and bringing 5kg of mud home with me, the gravel bike just cuts through it all so its faster and lighter in the mud, and more exciting too.

Dunno about the claggy SD’s … but for me, the gravel bike struggles more on the really sticky stuff. So for me, the advantage in winter is being able to blast along the easiest trails and tracks that hold up better in the weather, and bypass the really boggy bits by using road sections relatively efficiently compared to a MTB.

Like most of the above comments, I love my CX/ gravel bike and it’s by far my most used bike. Don’t see it as compromised as most of the riding I do is about mixing it up, and the gravel bike is capable-enough for 95% of what I ride. Not that interested in solely tarmac (but have a second set of wheels with 28c slicks for the handful of occasions a year I want to do a purely road ride). When I want just trails, I have two MTBs for that.

epicyclo

Alex
    …It’d be absolutely fantastic if you could talk me out of this stupid idea, and then I’d a) save a load of cash and b) stop wasting my time reading reviews!

Just do it.

If you look at the criticism of gravel bikes, it’s like someone complaining that a SUV isn’t as good as a Ferrari on the road, and not as good as a Unimog offroad.

It’s a general purpose comfortable recreational bike, not a road race weapon, nor an audax bike, nor a CX bike, nor a MTB, and for general plootering around they’re a great bike.

You’ll also be more relaxed on the road because you don’t have to worry much about bad surfaces, especially if you go for a model with large volume tyres.

ransos
    Free Member

A gravel bike is a compromise,

Actually, they’re far less compromised than a road bike or MTB.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d have to disagree with Trimix.

I’m not really interested in ‘road’, but my CX bike is far less limiting than my MTBs for general exploring/spinning along BWs etc. My MTBs are set up for more serious off-road conditions- stiffish sus forks, 1x, big tyres, dropper etc. Yes, they can go for a spin down the Trans Pennine or whatever but they’d be slower and more effort than the CX. The cross bike will also (rider permitting) cope happily with non-droppy non-rock garden singletrack quite effectively. Depends what and where you ride whether you have a sensible use for a cx or gravel I think.

I get the ‘draw of the shiney’, but in honesty if you’re uncertain whether it’ll become a clothes airer, then get the Boardman off the turbo for a few weeks at least and see what happens.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a vagabond.

I didn’t nessiceraly want a gravel bike but i like my singlespeeds and wanted something with normal tyres and higher gearing for the commute (soon could ditch the silly 32-14 on the cooker).

I wouldn’t say a gravel bike is slower than a mountain bike off road, there’s a point when the going gets tough at which you can no longer go as fast but upto that point it’s no loss. Seeing as 99.9%* of mountainbiking is riding a bridleways round the edge of a field a gravel bike is probably as fast or faster.

On road, the hand positions are nice and you get a bit of a tuck out of the wind, but its not going to keep up on a clubrun without propper tyres and excess fitness.

My local riding is arround the chilterns which tends to mean at most 75% off road, and probably only 10% off that is single track, and almost none of it is more technical than a few 1ft rooty steps. Doing 50-60mile ‘gravel’ rides is a hoot.

Downside, it really isn’t that different to a ridgid flat bar mtb, if it wasnt for needing different ratios it would be very hard to justify both. I also have a propper CX bike, that’s different again in terms of speed and ability.

I would say that if you cant motivate yourself to ride the Solaris or the CX on a route, then a gravel bike wont be enough of a change from either to persuade you. But shiny new bikes do have their own mojo boosting properties!

*For every 1 person who has Innerleithen on their doorstep, there’s thousands in places like the chilterns, Cotswolds etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘I’m trying to talk myself out of a gravel bike but…’ is closed to new replies.