Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • I’m trying to talk myself out of a gravel bike but…
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

This thread’s summed up just about every point of view, but I may as well add my thoughts too.

I love mine, an Arkose with WTB Horizon’s.

Feels as fast as I need on the roads, really quick actually. Yes, it’s boring on flat smooth roads, but that’s mostly as (I find) flat smooth roads are boring…

Off road, it gets quickly out of its depth on proper MTB trails. I can still make it through them often, but it may not be fun. But that’s what my MTB is for.

On easier trails though, fireroads and smoothish double track, it’s great. And the key thing for me is not just that it can do these, but it makes easy trails more fun than they would be if I were over-biked on an MTB.

The answer all depends upon where your priorities are and/or what your local trails are like.

ta11pau1

What sort of speeds can you hold on the flat tarmac on these, on regular gravel tyres (not the proper knobby tyres like on the Nukeproof digger)? I use my 14.5kg Escarpe FS bike for my short 2 mile commute at the minute, and with the minion DHF 2.4 and 2.5 pumped up to 45psi front and 50psi rear, I was able to hold 18/19mph on a flat section of road this morning.

If I move jobs and get a longer commute I’ll be seriously considering a gravel bike for the commute and local exploring.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I had a Boardman CX from around that time, one of their first CX bikes I think. Liked it on the road but always thought it was a bit scary off-road. Where you said you have to pick your lines rings very true. Snapped up an Arkose my mate was selling, mainly due to the hydraulic brakes, it was an eye opener to how much better CX bikes had got in a few years. Didn’t feel as much of a road bike with knobbly tyres. Sure the newer Boardies feel much better too.

Wouldn’t put too much emphasis on how you remember the Boardman feeling off-road.

Alex

I remember the boardman being ‘Challenging’ but thought that was me/drop bar. I’ve not ridden anything else like it off road since. Probably 5 years since it did more than a pub run.

Might unhook it from the turbo if I can remember where the off-road wheels are. Would like to try something newer just to see if it’s placebo or not.

charliemort

@ ta11pau1

quite a bit faster than that I reckon. On a flattish 18 mile ride I seem to be only minute or 2 slower of a gravel bike with 40mm tyres vs my road bike, @ about 16 mph average

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘I’m trying to talk myself out of a gravel bike but…’ is closed to new replies.