Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • I'm getting laughed at!
  • Pook

I’ve never been a doyenne of style but tbh the am45s look fine on and off the bike. I’ve got mw81s though. Proper boots

hora
    Free Member

AM45’s are ridiculous. Someone once said its function over form due to what they are used for. However my black Sombrio’s are brilliant yet soo understated.

Pook

Didn’t you have a pair?

hora
    Free Member

Bought, worn, felt huge/clumsy and looked utterly stupid.

Whereas Sombrio has the required toe/heel and grip etc without the utter bulk.

Sold within weeks.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

One would have thought that corporate might of Shimano could manage function and form…

hooli

They are pretty fugly but if it is anything like my office, it is all banter.

Replying with “your Mrs thought they looked ok when I left yours this morning” or similar normally does the trick 😆

plus-one

It’s only a problem if you give a toss what others think 😉

creedy
    Free Member

When i wear my AM41’s to bike to rugby training i usually get ‘ do those come with calipers?’ my stock retort is ‘does that gut come with scaffolding’. Its always the fat props!

hora
    Free Member

Ps, I can also confirm that Pook has fallen down the fashion stairs, got up climbed a tree then fell down the clothing ugly branches.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They’re not that bad – 5 10 impacts look far worse. They look like full on corrective shoes.

Most cycling gear does look a bot odd – roadie stuff is worse though. I made the mistake of getting a round in a few weeks ago at the end of one of our rides and had the mick ripped out of me by a load of drunk brummies. Ironically the people who seem to take the mick the most are the fatties who haven’t seen their nobs for a long time!

hora
    Free Member

At the start of a ride/parked. There were circa 15 Indian blokes sat on a wall. I had to whip off my sweatpanrets to put my ride shorts on….underneath I had bright pink boxers. The Indians stopped chatting. Utter silence.

I imagine a few emails were sent home about English blokes wearing pink underwear.

Any English blokes would have ripped into me 😆

z1ppy

plus one – Member
    It’s only a problem if you give a toss what others think

+1
    Especially by ppl who think a derogatory term like “spaka” is an acceptable today

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

^ and so it begins. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

It’s only a problem if you give a toss what others think

Its not just that though. In the case of such items as the AM45 even you know they aren’t very well styled and tbh to a degree badly designed.

I’m wearing high-top sneakers today- a weird design from Italy. Love em. I can see that some people wouldn’t but I love the styling. The AM45 really is special. Get over yourself if you don’t like the term.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My colleagues used to mercilessly take the piss out of my bib tights when I was getting changed at work, about 90% of which were wrestling references. Until one day when I wrestled them. Then they stopped!

z1ppy

CB you’d actually defend someones right to use that term? It’s wrong and if you don’t know that, you need a reality check. The plenty of ways to take the piss without being so insensitive or plain nasty. What next, a bit of casual racism too, cause you know it’s only a laugh after all?

hora
    Free Member

My colleagues used to mercilessly take the piss out of my bib tights when I was getting changed at work, about 90% of which were wrestling references. Until one day when I wrestled them. Then they stopped!

I too would 😯 if a man in bib tights with a funsized mars bar started grabbing me 😆

z1ppy calm down. Are you personally affected or offended for others or just moral conscience?

z1ppy

I’m not upset, I don’t need to be upset to be offended because it’s just wrong. As I say, bit of causal rasim next?
    You know were all m8’s after all… and it’s only a laugh.

Attitudes need to change, words like that aren’t right, meant in jest or not.

hora
    Free Member

Ok. I see your point.

I have quite a dark/black humour mindset which i sometimes have to step back to see others opinions (my youngest sister lives in a residential home/one of my cousins has down-syndrome). 🙁

On a basic level you can draw a parallel to remedial footwear I think (visual referencing). However I firmly draw the line at spastics and window-licking references. Those are out for me.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’s one of those words you used as a kid when you didn’t truly understand the meaning of it, and it’s being used in the same way here. No offence was intended by the OP, bad choice of word or not, that’s all i meant.

cookeaa

I work in an office full of engineers, some of whom claim to ride bikes at the weekend, I still get various comments when I don the Lycra to ride home, mostly let it wash over me, or I “own” the insults, sometimes I spot the look and head them off before they can formulate a new line and get in there with a quick “Yet another pride march, would you believe?” or similar tends to confuse…

z1ppy

CB I agree, I was not trying to turn this into a case of middleclass outrage and nor blame the OP for using it, I assumed he was repeating the insult used on himself.
    Look at my post, all I was saying was that anyone who believes that is an acceptable terms nowadays (now were not in the playground), their opinion is irrelevant & not worth listening too.

Sorry to continue to derail the thread… carry on… 🙂

althepal

I honestly dont know what the term “Spacker” means.. obv derogatory but is it that bad?

dantsw13

Kid slang for spastic.

mos

Spacker makes more sense when accompanied with a belm or two.

devs
    Free Member

There’s no wonder they call this tardworld.

benjii19
    Free Member

I feel like I should butt in here. Firstly I wasn’t exactly offended by being called the name, I have no problem looking daft in front of work mates, colleagues etc. I just posted this for a laugh. I personally think they look well daft the am45 but they keep my feet dry but they do look like special shoes, am I allowed to say special.

Personally being called a “spacker” doesn’t bother me. Nor being called “a cheese eating surrender monkey” after all I’m half French. People who take the moral high ground on these sayings obviously don’t understand context. Or I am obviously insensitive to what is right and wrong. In other words banter is banter unless you prefer being wrapped in middle class cotton wool.

Rant over!

benjii19
    Free Member

I feel like I should butt in here. Firstly I wasn’t exactly offended by being called the name, I have no problem looking daft in front of work mates, colleagues etc. I just posted this for a laugh. I personally think they look well daft the am45 but they keep my feet dry but they do look like special shoes, am I allowed to say special.

Personally being called a “spacker” doesn’t bother me. Nor being called “a cheese eating surrender monkey” after all I’m half French. People who take the moral high ground on these sayings obviously don’t understand context. Or I am obviously insensitive to what is right and wrong. In other words banter is banter unless you prefer being wrapped in middle class cotton wool.

Rant over!

benjii19
    Free Member

Rant over!

LenHankie

shortcut

Have you got the Tracey Mosely ltd edition ones?

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘I'm getting laughed at!’ is closed to new replies.