• This topic has 31 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by paton.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Ignore – Youtube embed testing
  • masterdabber
    Free Member

Cougar

Just copy and paste the URL as text.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar. I made a couple of attempts then saw your advice.  So simple.   Many thanks.

aide

EDIT: thought I’d give it a shot as well

darksideby182

A tunnel hill fan.

avdave2

I made a couple of attempts then saw your advice.  So simple.   Many thanks.

It’s incredibly confusing to post YouTube videos on here as it’s the only thing that actually works properly or logically and no one comes here expecting things that just work! 🙂

ElShalimo

masterdabber
    Free Member

A tunnel hill fan.

I was over at Tunnel Hill this morning but the bit of video I tested with here is on the other side of the Basingstoke Canal at Porridgepot (training area G2 in MOD terms).

dyna-ti

I’ve wondered how people can shorten links to ‘here’ or ‘this’ instead of posting the entire url

redthunder
    Free Member

sirromj

^ possible quack 😉

darksideby182

@masterdabber
    Tunnel hill/pots and Caesars camp are my local ride to trails.

slowoldman

I’ve wondered how people can shorten links to ‘here’ or ‘this’ instead of posting the entire url

Click on LINK. It should then be self explanatory.

aide

Test

EDIT: Bloody hell, I got it to work!

Cougar

It’s incredibly confusing to post YouTube videos on here as it’s the only thing that actually works properly or logically and no one comes here expecting things that just work! 🙂

Off the top of my head, the forum will correctly and reliably embed:

• Directly pasted plain text URLs from YouTube.
    • Directly pasted plain text URLs from Twitter tweets.
    • Some other directly pasted plain text URLs from various sites. Try it? The EDIT link is your friend.
    • Plain text links copied into the IMG dialogue box to photos anywhere on the web so long as a) they end in an image filename extension like .jpg or .png, and b) the host site doesn’t actively block hotlinking. I like to use right-click / “Open image in new tab” to test this before copying, it’ll tell you whether it’s a sensible URL and will also process and discard any redirection code which might cock up the linking.

It will probably handle BBcode, the stuff in [square brackets] sometimes offered by hosting sites as forum embedding code. This can be hit and miss, some code is blocked or unsupported.

It will probably not handle raw HTML beyond a couple of exceptions because it’s a huge security risk. (I think maybe code from Flickr works? Or that might just be BBcode again, I haven’t tried it in forever.)

It won’t handle plain text URLs from Amazon, it erroneously thinks that anything coming from Amazon is a Kindle book. You’ll need to put these into the LINK dialogue box as slowoldman says. The LINK function will (almost?) always work, but you’ll get a clickable web link rather than embedded media.

Special case: If you’ve enabled the so-called “fancy editor” in your profile options then some of the above may puke out spurious <div> and <span> markup. Back when it was the only option I used to launder any copy & pasted text via Notepad to strip out any non-printing codes and avoid this issue. Today I’ve just turned it off, you don’t need a fancy editor to do clever things in text.

HTH.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thought I would join in. Please ignore me too

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30Z0OToWgI-

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVbAdAq894-

sirromj

paton
    Free Member

-https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Xe9tpUnBRUA-

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    sirromj

paton
    Free Member
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Ignore – Youtube embed testing’ is closed to new replies.