Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Iffy hydration bladder
  • rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

.. is it dead? like permanently dead? or is there a magical way of bringing it back from tasting like a rats taken a crap in the pipes.

Its not that old and the price of them new makes me cringe a bit so rather not write it off unless i had little other choice. I think i must have put some kind of squash in there on one of its first uses and not cleaned it out properly. Now its just stained and fresh water tastes awful.

Think i heard somewhere a while ago that dental tablets may work? not tried it myself yet obviously.

malv173
    Free Member

You could try Milton sterilising fluid. But I’d not risk the potential for poisoning myself and buy a fresh bladder and keep it clean.

derms
    Free Member

possibly too late for yours now but for the next one the best advice is after each use immediately chuck it in the freezer – works really well

scotroutes

Keep your bladders in the freezer between uses.

mashr

Have a hunt around for different bladders and you’ll find a deal somewhere. My last one was Mavic branded (actually a Hydrapack) and cost £7. Then just remember to rinse it out and keep it in the freezer between rides

FB-ATB

Why in the freezer? I thought the nasty bugs can survive being frozen and come back to life once thawed out?

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Frozen it a few times since, cleaned it out with plain old water best i can but thats it. Will ultimately get another if i have to but prefer to keep this one as its an Osprey pack to match the bag and i like the way it opens right up across the top rather than the screw lid style.

malv173
    Free Member

They can!

johnhe

I use Milton on mine every now and again.

crashrash

Mountain Warehouse do a 2 litre bladder with the opening top for £7. I know it won’t match the bag but its pretty hard to beat value wise. Can always swap over the mouthpiece.

mjsmke

I clean mine with bleach every now and then which works well. Dry it by hanging it upside down with something holding it open. And take the bite valve off to let it air out.

DickBarton

Not used my 3ltr bladder for about 7 months. Suspect the black stuff is actually breeding now. 2 Milton tablets dropped in and the hottest tap water I can get…letting it soak over night and that’ll hopefully kill the living stuff but suspect it’ll be permanently stained!

Sterident works but I don’t think it is as good as Milton, but Milton needs a good wash out after it has done the work.

jonba
    Free Member

Milton works. Just rinse it well and leave it to air for a day or so afterwards. If the tube is manky then find some string or a shoe lace and drag a knot through to clean it.

Leaving it in bright direct sunlight will likely help too. UV is pretty good at killing things.

If you are planning on binning it and want a last ditch effort then boiling water or microwave it.

coatesy
    Free Member

Camelbak also do their own cleaning kit with a few sterilising tablets, and a very long and thin brush for cleaning the tubes (just make sure you clean and dry it afterwards if you intend to use it again in a few months time 🙂 )

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Decathlon did a cleaning kit that had the dryer rack, brushes etc and cheaper than the official Camelbak one.

reeksy

I have a couple of Source bags. One is nearly ten years old. Never been cleaned, frozen, they’re seriously good. Just only ever put water in them.

binman

Baby feeding sterilization tablets work from me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Iffy hydration bladder’ is closed to new replies.