Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • If you won the lottery, would you tell the wife?
  • didnthurt

Now this is obviously hyperthetical, I have not come into some money and am looking for ingenious ways to spend it without the other half letting on 😏

So my fellow singletrackers, what would you buy and how would you keep it secret from the wife/husband/partner/nosey neighbours and greedy relatives?

didnthurt

I’ll go first.

My Citroen is red and so is a Ferrari. I reckon my wife would never tell the difference. The kids might when they have to ride on the roof…

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Just popping out for a loaf of bread…..

cloudnine
    Free Member

I wonder how long you could pretend to go off to work on a morning and go ride bikes / go surfing / fishing / metal detecting etc. instead. You just need some discipline and pretend to be in a shit mood when you go out the front door every morning. No one need ever know.

didnthurt

I’ve always fancied an island in the Forth. You’d definitely not be noticed by anyone. To be extra cautious, wear a fake mustache when heading over on your boat.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Of course I’d tell her.
    “Pack your bags! I’m buying a more current model.”

scaredypants

Sorry to say that it might’ve been Bernard Manning but…

“pack yer bags luv, I’ve won the pools” “where shall I pack for?” (etc)

gah – would’ve gotten away with it too, if it hadn’t been for that pesky eddiebaby 🤬

jambourgie
    Free Member

This is why I prefer to stay single: if I come into money, the money is mine.

Reminds me of the old joke –

Man comes home to the wife and says:

“pack your bags love we’ve won the lottery!”

Wife –  “oooh how exciting! Where are we going?”

Man – “Just pack your bags and **** off”

scotroutes

I’ve always fancied an island in the Forth. You’d definitely not be noticed by anyone. To be extra cautious, wear a fake mustache when heading over on your boat.

Give someone an inch…

the-muffin-man

I think she’d notice the coke and high-class hookers! 🙂

monkeyboyjc

Id tell the wife straightaway, but It would be incredibly difficult for us to keep it from the wider community our my lives are part of that, and we couldn’t just move away quickly.

As for relatives, depends on the sum….

didnthurt

@scotroutes

I May do that 😜

doomanic

I’d let my relatives know by text from Whistler.

Sandwich

Wouldn’t be possible here as the funds would be in the shared bank account. If she survives the shock we’ll go mad together, if she doesn’t I get a younger model!

oldenough
    Free Member

My Citroen is red and so is a Ferrari. I reckon my wife would never tell the difference. 

Reminds me of the story about a chap who raced MX. He’d by a new Maico every year but as it was just another red bike his wife never twigged. When Maico changed to blue he switched to Honda. Wife thought he was marvellous keeping the same bike for 10 years 😆

scotroutes

I May do that

LOL.

Geographic in-jokes 🙂

desperatebicycle

I live alone and have no friends! Simple!

I’d buy my son a new bike and a car probably. I’d tell the ex-wife, but not in a gloat. And you know what.. she’d be pleased for me. Aw

didnthurt

Thinking about it I’d just give the wife the majority of the money. As long as I have enough left to buy myself a little cottage somewhere with a bit of land to grow some veg. And….

A secret underground bike store/pool-room/bar/gym/cinema/endless-pool.

Like a batcave just with fractional less jet-cars and black rubber suits. 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

My boss would be finding out before my wife.

bruneep

Heck no she’s still unaware I won £2.60 on the euro millions

Andy_B

I wouldn’t bother telling work. I’d like to see how long before they actually missed me and how long they’d keep paying me for.

MoreCashThanDash

I think she’d notice the coke and high-class hookers! 🙂

So long as she shares them….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d send her a postcard

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d tell the ex-wife, but not in a gloat.

Yeah right…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It would be easy.
    Lottery money goes out of our joint account, any winnings go into the lottery ‘wallet’ & can be transferred into another account.
    Like mine for instance.

didnthurt

How about something egalitarian….

I could buy a wind turbine for the town, along with battery storage.

The wife might twig when she sees that the new massive turbine on the local hill is called Ian.

murdooverthehill

I May do that

Can I cram one in?

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d tell my wife, I’d tell my brothers, I’d tell my very closest friends and family – and share winnings with them. I believe they would keep the win in confidence. I hope.

fasthaggis

I really like the idea of a massive wind turbine being called Ian.👍🙃

thelawman

LOL.

Geographic in-jokes 🙂

@fasgadh
    to the forum, please

Caher

My team would send a memorandum from my villa in Ibiza.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really like the idea of a massive wind turbine being called Ian.👍🙃

I thought all wind turbines were called Ian.

peajay

I’d give my wife half, then if she stayed around it wouldn’t be for the money.

mrsheen
    Free Member

I would gradually buy every house on my street as they came up for sale.

ton

my wife is my number 1 cycling buddy. and drinking buddy.
    we would cycle tour the world , staying is swanking hotels and visiting many drinking establishments.

a bit like now really, but with more cash.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

staying is swanking hotelshostels

Fixed that for you Tony.

didnthurt

Although Ian may be declining as a name, if you look carefully Ian is is all around you.

I give you…

Electric-ian

Music-ian

Tecnic-ian

Statistic-ian

Mathematic-ian

And my favourite….

Barber-ian

batfink
    Free Member

The thursday lottery here is $160m….. I may have given this some thought.

My conclusion is that trying to keep it a secret from close friends/family is only possible if you don’t intend doing anything with the money – or are so committed that you’d be literally lying about everything.

I think you’d have to have a “cover” story for all but your closest friends/family – maybe some sort of job that would explain you having money, and taking regular holidays/work trips etc. But vague enough not to invite further questions – some sort of consultant or board member or something. I recon you could tell everyone that you are an “actuary’ without ever needing to explain what that is.

I wouldn’t want everyone knowing – but I wouldn’t want to be constantly lying either.

reeksy

My wife has a friend with a mysterious husband who apparently does something mundane like fitting gas … but seems to spend his whole time away on boats. They seem to have a bigger house and fancier cars than you would expect. We’d assumed he was a drug dealer. Maybe he won the lottery and didn’t tell his wife. Maybe he did but she’s not letting on.

batfink
    Free Member

fitting gas

Euphamism innit. Maybe he’s on onlyfans?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.