Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • If you won the lottery, would you tell the wife?
  • reeksy

Hmmm maybe… would that find an extravagant lifestyle?

(I gave up with my account)

didnthurt

Depends on big his t$$s are 😜

didnthurt

Double post

rickmeister

Patio?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I we have had similar conversation before. 100% tell my partner, my parents. Not her mum but would tell her dad. Wouldn’t tell anyone else but have a list of people we would be give some money to or help in various ways.

willard

I‘d tell her, I’d have to as I would want her to know she had the opportunity to start that small holding she wants. She’d also probably guess that something was up when I spent less time at home and more time n places where there was sun and skydiving. Or snow and steep hills. Given that she’s better than me at both of those things, I’d want her there for the company and the coach8ng.

Family…yeah, not got much left of that now so I would want them to have something, although I might make it conditional on my mother not talking about Brexit.

sharkattack

I’d tell the wife but no one else. I don’t have a relationship with most of my family. I’d wait until the money was in the bank and then collect her from work in some kind of overlanding vessel and tell her we were off for a few months.

If I won it we’d be set for life. If she won it her mother, brother, sister, cousins etc would slowly bleed her dry.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab and I would tell each other.

We would likely not tell others beyond our parents and kids.

A lavish lifestyle* doesn’t work for us, so a big win would see us having enough to live on and an effort for the rest of our lives to give the money away to better causes than us.

(*Probably a slightly bigger house with no mortgage, a few trips to see family around the world, and an income yearly ongoing).

desperatebicycle

jambourgie
    I’d tell the ex-wife, but not in a gloat.

Yeah right…

Don’t judge by your own standards an all that. No, I’d tell her cos she’s the mother of my son.
    I don’t do any lotteries anyway, so it’s quite unlikely to happen

Speeder

I’d get headhunted by some elusive billionaire with the intention to set up multi-disciplinary design consultancy/modular housing facility/green energy/carbon reduction tech companies and he’d give me free access and use of both his amazing house and any of the cars in the garage. Salary would be on the generous side too. ;o)

#coverstory

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Like a batcave just with fractional less jet-cars and black rubber suits. 😆

Sounds dull, I’d be signed up for the full jet car and sex dungeon package.

intheborders
    Free Member

Yep, but no one else and TBH I don’t reckon anyone else would notice – mainly as we’re old enough to early retire, wouldn’t move (lovely plot in the country) and have always driven new(ish) cars.

We’d sort out the kids & grandkids, but they wouldn’t need to know why/how as they’d just assume we’d ‘liquidated’ sone assets.

ayjaydoubleyou

my wifegirlfriend is my number 1 cycling buddy. and drinking buddy.

me too

not sure who else would get told though.

IHN

Mrs_oab and I would tell each other.

We would likely not tell others beyond our parents and kids.

A lavish lifestyle* doesn’t work for us, so a big win would see us having enough to live on and an effort for the rest of our lives to give the money away to better causes than us.

(*Probably a slightly bigger house with no mortgage, a few trips to see family around the world, and an income yearly ongoing).

This, basically. When we talk/dream about it, we normally land on a post-lottery lifestyle that looks something like what we have now but without having to work, so that’s something like:

– pay off mortgage and do whetever we want to do to our current house. We don’t really want to move.
    – have a yearly income that’s about what we have now, as we’re very comfortable on it and it allows us to do the things we want to do with people we want to do them with, i.e. our friends.
    – we’d like to help friends/family do the same if we can and they want it
    – if it’s a monster win, I’d spend a lot of time giving a lot of it away.

We’d deffo tell each other and family. To be honest, I don’t think I’d broadcast it, but I wouldn’t lie to anyone that asked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Honey, whose car is that?

ads678

Of course I’d tell my wife. I know the thread title is tongue in cheek, but I never understand why people get married to someone they don’t seem to want to be with. My wife IS my best mate, its a bonus I fancy her and she seems to think I’m also not a minger!

I’d tell my family, and share as much of it out with them as I could. Friends (proper ones) would also get something if possible as well.  If it one of those silly 150m euro millions wins all my friends would be getting their mortgages paid off.

johnx2
    Free Member

I don’t do any lotteries anyway, so it’s quite unlikely to happen

to be fair, it’d be reasonably unlikely to happen if you did do lotteries

cookeaa

If I won I’d definitely tell her before anyone else, and I’d put a large chunk in the joint account, but I think I’d maybe like to keep a substantial “slush fund” set aside…

It’s not that I don’t trust her, but I’m pretty sure she’d piss a lot of it away without fully considering the future. We’ve had the “what If” conversation a few times and she seems very keen on giving lots to charity, friends and family and going on holidays galore, while I’m dead set that I would never ever want to need to work again, be fully financially secure and I would want the kids able to live comfortably before anyone else got a look in…

Just different priorities and abilities with maths is all, so I’d hold back enough to cover her inevitable losses (and everything else)…

molgrips
    Free Member

Honey, where did this bike-sized cardboard box come from?

weeksy

I’d buy a new MTB….

I’m not sure she’d notice 🙂

theotherjonv

My current wife, or the one I’d have if I was a multimillionaire 😉

fasgadh
    Free Member

Hello – saw the sign on the cloud and hit the Bogmobile
    How can I be of assistance?

BTW It happened, she keeps asking me “what is an ice cream truck?”

hammy7272
    Free Member

Bloke at work said “if I ever win the lottery I’d organise a Perspex block with a million quid inside and get it dropped off in the car park. I’d then sit on it and tell people to go away as it’s all mine!”

Clearly thought about this a lot! Oddball.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I do have friends who are genuinely in need, I like to think that if I won the jackpot I’d anonymously help them out in some way. Likewise I’m not a flashy person so I’d be content to buy my own home, have it redecorated and put some cash aside to help my stepkids with deposits for their first homes and to pay for my elderly father’s care home – even though he and I don’t get along.

I’d sure as heck treat my missus to something nice though. That might sweeten the pill when I inform her that I’ve ordered another bike and some shiny custom parts for it.

my wife is my number 1 cycling buddy. and drinking buddy.
    we would cycle tour the world , staying is swanking hotels and visiting many drinking establishments.

^ This is genuinely lovely.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you won the lottery, would you tell the wife?

Yes, just the wife assuming both of you are genuinely. No one else beyond that. Not even the children.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Screw it, if I won the Euromillions I would also make a handsome donation to my local foodbank, local CLP and Green Party and offer the Conservatives a shedload of cash in exchange for me being in charge of their next six election campaigns.

I do need a new car though, my current one is approaching it’s sixteenth birthday. Nothing flash though, I reckon that a sensible Golf would see me to retirement.

Edit

I did miss this glorious typo though:

staying is swanking hotels

– Ton’s post has brightened my evening in more ways than one.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I did win the lottery.

The lottery of life when I met my wife and I tell her so regularly.

tuboflard

I’d probably offer to buy the neighbours house then demolish it as I’ve got no off road parking at the moment. And they’re mildly irritating. Probably a house somewhere in the Alps and on Tiree too.

Oh and of course the wife (to be) would know. Wouldn’t be marrying her otherwise.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Most people who win serious money on the lottery do end up getting divorced

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t have a wife

RustyNissanPrairie

MrsRNP dream lottery winning car would be a WW2 Willy’s Jeep, she absolutely loves them, and it’s just another reason why I married her.

bruneep

Won £5 on Tuesdays euro millions 🤫

£7.50 in last month is that enough to get divorced over?

MoreCashThanDash

MrsRNP dream lottery winning car would be a WW2 Willy’s Jeep, she absolutely loves them, and it’s just another reason why I married her.

Sounds like a keeper!

Just dropped MrsMC and daughter at the station for a girls weekend in Eurodisney that I wasn’t told about till last week.

I’m off to buy a lottery ticket. How far could I get with millions of pounds before 10.30 Sunday night?

bruneep

Just dropped MrsMC and daughter at the station for a girls weekend in Eurodisney

I suspect she’s won the lottery and not told you.

MoreCashThanDash

I suspect she’s won the lottery and not told you

Fair enough, the house is paid for anyway….

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.