• This topic has 54 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • If you treat your body like its fragile and damaged it will soon become so…
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

*avoid ladders.. apparently bad for ankles

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ladders are fine, it is the ground that hurt

geoffj

Some interesting stuff in here – including confirmation of the OP

Edit: although if looks like pop sciencs pulp fiction, the results are from peer reviewed published trials.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I hold the view that our society is obsessed with ease and comfort in the main, such that physical discomfort and psychological stress are avoided at all costs. Guess what? Most people are overweight, weak, slow and mentally fragile.

Because I like a bit of fear, excitement, drama and to feel physically pushed, they look at me like I’m mad

surfer
    Free Member

both my knees have been under the surgeons knife as testament to a life of activity.

I have had a life of activity (not over yet !) i’m 48 and have ran competitively (not much success!) meaning I have ran on average around 40 miles per week for most of them, many higher some much lower. My knees cause me no problems whatsoever, slight Achilles stiffness which disapears after I start running.
    I think its a myth that running (or most/all) non impact sports cause long term problems.
    Over the years i’ve got to know lots of like minded runners and the number that have injuries which stop them from running is trivial.

glupton1976
    Free Member

A 2008 study that compared 284 dedicated runners with 156 nonrunners also found little evidence that exercise causes arthritis. After a remarkably long 21-year follow-up period, the runners experienced significantly less musculoskeletal disability than did their less active peers — and the runners also enjoyed a 39% lower mortality rate.

The research is impressive, and it confirms earlier studies. Former varsity runners, for example, are no more likely to develop arthritis in their legs than former college swimmers, and champion runners are no more likely to end up with arthritic hips than nonathletes.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/does-exercise-contribute-to-arthritis-cinnamon-treatment-for-diabetes

kudos100
    Free Member

The mind is very powerful. Professional athletes overcome massive injuries and carry on at the top level.

Normal folk often get injured and listen to people telling them to slow down and take it easy, as they are getting older. This becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Access to rehab and doctors definitely makes a difference, but the mental attitude is the biggest factor in determining if someone keep on going.

“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”

Mark Twain

ton

have ran on average around 40 miles per week for most of them, many higher some much lower. My knees cause me no problems whatsoever,

surfer, running gently in a straight line is just ever so slightly differant to the kind of running a rugby forward does……no?

glupton1976
    Free Member

kind of running a rugby forward does

Who’re you trying to kid. Old school forwards never did any running. 😀

ton

fly half back in the day George……. 😆

glupton1976
    Free Member

Fly half – some things never change. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

running gently in a straight line is just ever so slightly differant to the kind of running a rugby forward does……no?

Well I wouldnt describe my running as “gentle” and lots of it is not in a straight line but I agree, hemce my comment ref “impact” sports

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep, all the older riders I know/have met seem a lot younger than those who live boring and sedentary lives. Maybe just a coincidence, who knows..

yunki
    Free Member

Dr Lupton, what should I do about my knee? It’s been sore for a few years since I hyper extended it but a retrospective mri scan shows nothing.. I’ve used mtfu in various quantities to no avail, and feel that I’m quite familiar with the difference between pain and discomfort.
    The knee now gets very sore after any cycling over an hour, or prolonged carrying of my baby son…

More mtfu..?

Bazz

I think the phrase “Use it or lose it” is probably appropriate here, i despair when i see obese forty something year olds in mobility scooters with an oxygen cylinder between their knees, it’s almost as if they’ve given up and are just waiting for the grim reaper.

The human body is designed for activity, so be active, obviously no one should suggest trying to carry on with broken bones, but spending your life sat on your backside isn’t going to help you live for ever either.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘If you treat your body like its fragile and damaged it will soon become so…’ is closed to new replies.