• This topic has 54 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • If you treat your body like its fragile and damaged it will soon become so…
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

I read this statement on Twitter earlier and thought that it was bang on the money.

What do you think?

Cougar

I think Facebook users have discovered Twitter.

footflaps

Will if I had a broken leg and just ignored it and started jumping up an down, I don’t think it would get any better…..

glupton1976
    Free Member

Haha aye. I think it’s more the chronic pain, fatigue and mental health perspectives that I was thinking of.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think Facebook users have discovered Twitter.

I bloody well hope not.

*forwards tweet onto 10 other people before bad things happen*

*likes*

boxfish
    Free Member

Like all generalistions, it’s partially true. 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

it will become so… what?

fasthaggis

I almost met an amazing psychic .

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Of all the old people I know,(by old i mean 70+) the ones that walk with a stick, struggle physically or can’t do this and that are the ones that have led sedentary lifestyles.

Kind of related I suppose.

midlifecrashes

Nonsense, some impairments are very real and very permanent. Let a blind person drive you round the M25. You know they can see if they try just a bit harder don’t you?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the ones that walk with a stick, struggle physically or can’t do this and that are the ones that have led sedentary lifestyles.

You cannot argue with a scientific facts like that
    FACT

MrOvershoot

cbmotorsport – Member
    Of all the old people I know,(by old i mean 70+) the ones that walk with a stick, struggle physically or can’t do this and that are the ones that have led sedentary lifestyles.

Kind of related I suppose.
    Mostly true, though my father in law (73 today) has worn out most of his joints from working like a dog, he’s still working full time though & doing up a house!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Facebook has been great… I see pictures of all the people I grew up with, all the guys I went drinking / parting with, old work colleagues and not many of them found a sport like mountain biking, many are over weight, ill, coming down with problems… most have led sedenatary lives, TV lives and are now getting older and infirmer.

Is there a relationship between the two? Is there any science behind it or am i just lucky with my genes? I have no idea but it sort of supports the original comment.

soobalias
    Free Member

Of all the old people I know,(by old i mean 70+) the ones that walk with a stick, struggle physically or can’t do this and that are the ones that have led sedentary lifestyles

how many of the dead ones, died sitting down being careful?

surfer
    Free Member

Boxfish +1

I do think we are more “robust” than many of us realise and “body” image perception seems to have changed for the worse IMO over recent years.

soobalias
    Free Member

*stands up for next life affirming post*

wonnyj
    Free Member

I dunno.

This weekend I’ve treated my body like it is invincible and now I feel extremely fragile.

Moe

All things in moderation ……. he say’s eating a small (honest!) slice of work colleagues chocolate cake!

…… very nice Jasmine!

Drac

What about rehabilitation after an injury?

nedrapier

wonny j + 1.

I treat my relatively fragile and damaged body like it isn’t at all, and it’s not helping.

samuri
    Free Member

overrated

molgrips
    Free Member

Some people are much more robust than others!

surfer
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of “rehabilitation” if it means taking 6 months off after a muscle strain then you are probably not really cut out for competitive sport. 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

some people are “robust boned”

avdave2

glupton 1976 maybe it’s time to stop treating your mind as if it’s fragile and damaged although it could be too late. 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

The harder I train the more “robust” I get 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Imagine you’ve stiffed it and are laid out on a slab naked.
    After the coroner has a little giggle at your withered genitals, he takes a long and appraising look over your unblemished, un-scarred and un-impacted body and says
    “Well, he didn’t use that much did he?”

No thanks. I want him to shake his head and wonder how it carried on functioning.

peterfile
    Free Member

your unblemished, un-scarred and un-impacted body

My coroner will look at my body, puzzled, and think “have I already done this one?”

Got a few scars here and there 🙂

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

The human body is both the strongest and weakest thing- at the same time.
    See- people performing huge feats of strength when necessary to save a loved ones life, OR bang your head and die.

What I do know for certain is this particular damaged body is not ready to give up having fun/taking chances yet.

long time dead.

-read this back before posting and it does sound a bit walt Disney but nevertheless TRUE. (God bless america) :mrgreen:

bentandbroken

samuri – I want him to shake his head and wonder how it carried on functioning.

That may happen to me, but I think I should have a tattoo stating that I was careless/unlucky rather than X-treeem!!!!!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

your unblemished, un-scarred and un-impacted body

My coroner will look at my body, puzzled, and think “have I already done this one?”

Got a few scars here and there

I call scar count competition! hahaha.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

FACT

Oh yes you can

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    the ones that walk with a stick, struggle physically or can’t do this and that are the ones that have led sedentary lifestyles.

FACT

Not a fact silly, just talking form personal experience. YMMV.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m not sure of the point being made here. I have a chronic pain problem owing to a disc injury that happened 25 years ago and now the disc has totally disappeared. I have continued with sports and exercise the whole time and these days I have to grit my teeth through the pain on long bike rides. I now have to avoid running, weights and various other activities to stop it worsening. I already MTFU so how does the OP apply to someone like me?

ampthill

Facebook has been great… I see pictures of all the people I grew up with, all the guys I went drinking / parting with, old work colleagues and not many of them found a sport like mountain biking, many are over weight, ill, coming down with problems… most have led sedenatary lives, TV lives and are now getting older and infirmer.

Is there a relationship between the two? Is there any science behind it or am i just lucky with my genes? I have no idea but it sort of supports the original comment

Could it be that they have sedenatary life styles because of the health problems not vice versa

cloudnine
    Free Member

At some point your life will flash before your eyes.. just make sure yours is worth watching.

ton

nearly every bloke I have played rugby with over the years, which Is quite a few, has knackered knee joints and walks with a slight limp.
    both my knees have been under the surgeons knife as testament to a life of activity.

vickypea
    Free Member

If you treat your body like it’s invincible and smoke, eat and drink like an idiot, that’s a good route to making it fragile!

ton

never smoked……… 😳

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have just been told by the doctors that they can do no more for my ankle. I asked if walking on rough ground will cause more damage and they said no. The best I have managed since last September when I snapped my foot off is three hours of standing.

This weekend I am hosting the bbb and expect to be walking around for 12-16 hours a day for three days.

I will tell you how good I feel after that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘If you treat your body like its fragile and damaged it will soon become so…’ is closed to new replies.